What does Wisconsin consider "concealed" and "uncased"?

This is a discussion on What does Wisconsin consider "concealed" and "uncased"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My google-fu fails me. I can't seem to locate an accurate definition of "concealed" or "uncased" in terms of handguns. I was looking to place ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NONAME762

Thread: What does Wisconsin consider "concealed" and "uncased"?

What does Wisconsin consider "concealed" and "uncased"?

My google-fu fails me. I can't seem to locate an accurate definition of "concealed" or "uncased" in terms of handguns. I was looking to place a handgun (loaded and uncased which is legal in WI) in my car/truck. Does anyone have any links to official sites that define these terms? For example, how much of the pistol must be visible to be uncased/un-concealed? If its in a holster, is that cased/concealed?

Clearly dropping it in the center console or in the glove box would easily be considered cased I should think.

2. Remove Ads

Excerpt from pdf linked below:

CHANGES THAT APPLY TO PEOPLE WITHOUT REGARD TO WHETHER A PERSON IS A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSEE

Some of the provisions in the bill apply to a person regardless of whether he or she is a concealed carry licensee. The following questions and answers relate to these general provisions:
    What general changes does the bill make to the restrictions on possessing a firearm in or on a vehicle?
    The bill makes a number of statutory changes with respect to the placement, possession, and transportation of handguns in various types of vehicles. Specifically, the bill:

Permits placing, possessing, or transporting a loaded and unencased handgun in a vehicle.5

Permits loading a handgun in a vehicle.

4 Wisconsin courts have interpreted the term “concealed” broadly with respect to firearms in vehicles, holding that a firearm in a vehicle is concealed if it is indiscernible from the ordinary observation of a person located outside and within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle.

5 The bill eliminates the general prohibition against possessing or transporting a loaded, unencased firearm in a vehicle, but restrictions related to more specific situations may still apply. For instance, current law generally prohibits “shining” of wild animals while in the possession of a firearm and the possession of a light with intent to use it for shining wild animals while in the possession of a firearm. These prohibitions will remain in effect under the bill.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/public.../im2011_10.pdf

stay safe,

Keyth
    Maine CCP
    New Hampshire CCL
    Massachusetts CCL
    Wisconsin CCL

VIP Member
    4 Wisconsin courts have interpreted the term “concealed” broadly with respect to firearms in vehicles, holding that a firearm in a vehicle is concealed if it is indiscernible from the ordinary observation of a person located outside and within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle.
    I definitely don't like the way that reads. It could be on the passengers seat and fully discernible from the passengers side, yet not be discernible to someone on the drivers side. If it's just your average Joe Blow it shouldn't be a big problem, however if it is a LEO I can see it being a BIG problem, especially if his partner walks to the passenger side of the vehicle.]
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds to me like Wisconsin lawmakers need a few DICTIONARY'S. Possibly a few new brain cells as well...
    Anubis likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    You didn't state whether you have a carry permit. Since you didn't mention it, I assume you don't and that is why you are asking about concealed weapons. If you don't have a permit, you don't need to encase the weapon but I would make sure that if you have it in a holster (which may be considered concealed) it isn't within reach. Hidden and within reach is a no no if you don't have a permit. If you don't have a permit, take a class and get a permit. You can then carry/transport your weapon however you may wish.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I definitely don't like the way that reads. It could be on the passengers seat and fully discernible from the passengers side, yet not be discernible to someone on the drivers side. If it's just your average Joe Blow it shouldn't be a big problem, however if it is a LEO I can see it being a BIG problem, especially if his partner walks to the passenger side of the vehicle.]
    re-read footnote 5, the legislation provides relief by allowing a loaded handgun in your vehicle in WI (assuming you're legally allowed to posses said handgun).

Stay safe,

Keyth
    Maine CCP
    New Hampshire CCL
    Massachusetts CCL
    Wisconsin CCL

Links