Am I doing IWB wrong? Trouble drawing.

This is a discussion on Am I doing IWB wrong? Trouble drawing. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hola - I am new to CC. I have a 9mm XDS and having trouble figuring out the best way to wear it. I purchased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Am I doing IWB wrong? Trouble drawing.

Am I doing IWB wrong? Trouble drawing.

Hola - I am new to CC. I have a 9mm XDS and having trouble figuring out the best way to wear it.
    I purchased a holster from Aegis Armory and it seems to be high quality and is pretty comfortable to wear considering this is the first time I've worn anything like this.
    However my issue is drawing from the holster. Looking at the design, it is similar to other IWB holsters so I figure it is something I am doing wrong not a design issue.
    I basically can't pull the firearm out of the holster without holding my belt down with my other hand. If I wear my belt loose so the gun is less tight in the holster I pull the belt up.
    If I wear my belt uncomfortably tight I can get the gun out without pulling up the holster every once in a few draws.

Is this an "I need more practice" issue or should I be looking at another holster? Any advice otherwise?

Thanks!
    -B

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Gun belt. Your normal belt isn't going to work well even with a great holster. It's got to be allot stiffer than you're used to wearing.

There are dozens of good ones for just about any price you want to pay, and I'm sure the board has some suggestions.

Go make an introduction thread.

bienvenida
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I agree with getting a good gun belt. They are more sturdy and shouldn't have as much give on the draw.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

+3 for the gun belt. It is stiffer than a regular belt and made for carrying a holster. It will also keep your pants up. Once you get a good belt (Galco Instructor's belt $50+/- available from Optics Planet a sponsor here is what I use) you'll see.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

That sounds too easy! Thanks I will pick up a belt and go from there.

Thanks!!

Having a quality belt worn 'snuggly' is extremely important, but you also need a quality holster with a cant (if you're wearing it past 3:00)IMHO.
    Jetfuelrm and Aceoky like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with a good, purpose made belt.

Also, play around with location, and angle of cant.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Gun belt. Your normal belt isn't going to work well even with a great holster. It's got to be allot stiffer than you're used to wearing.

There are dozens of good ones for just about any price you want to pay, and I'm sure the board has some suggestions.

Go make an introduction thread.

bienvenida
    Definitely. I hated mine at first but give it time to break in. Wear it every day and use some good leather conditioner. A good belt is a must.

Distinguished Member
    They said it, gun belt. Not a leather fan, got a 5.11 nylon belt @ Bass Pro w/ NO holes so you fit it to where you want it.

Welcome to the forum!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

In case you didn't get it, yet:

Gun belt.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by scoxnl View Post
    I basically can't pull the firearm out of the holster without holding my belt down with my other hand. If I wear my belt loose so the gun is less tight in the holster I pull the belt up. If I wear my belt uncomfortably tight I can get the gun out without pulling up the holster every once in a few draws.
    This points to a holster that is (a) holding your sidearm very well; (b) a holster in which the design cannot withstand being cinched down inside of a belt.

Uncertain what specific belt you have, but IMO certainly you should have a decent "gun" belt that's suitable to carrying the load of a holstered sidearm. It helps keep things positioned, distributes the load of the gun across the hips, firmly holds the holster in place.

But you also need to ensure the holster you've got isn't crushable by the belt. If the mouth of the holster, specifically, is getting smooshed to the point the gun becomes impossible to draw, then IMO your holster isn't quite up to snuff. Might look good, might be otherwise well-made, but its design allows for crushing in such a situation. Bad for drawing, even worse for attempting to reholster. An OWB holster, of course, doesn't have to worry about maintaining shape during the draw/reholster activities, though it certainly has to have excellent retaining of the sidearm to avoid unwanted removal during activities. Same with an IWB, but additionally an IWB holster needs to be designed in such a way as to withstand the pressures the belt is going to place upon it.

So. Certainly, if you only have a current generic, everyday belt, consider a quality belt of the sort suitable for heavier holstered guns. But, by all means, also review the holster's design in terms of its ability to retain shape when you mount it on the belt as designed. As Red Nichols points out in another recent thread, a great holster should be capable of working well with most any belt, certainly with respect to retaining shape. But a better belt will help your overall carrying do its job better, keeping things in place, better supporting heavier loads, distributing the loads, avoiding "hot" spots (pinching, pains), and avoiding the need to cinch down to within an inch of crushing your holster and failing to breathe.

If still concerned about what to look for, in a belt and/or holster, welcome to the club. For those of us who aren't holster designers extraordinaire, some of the design features that matter, and the reasons they matter, aren't always immediately clear. Though, performance in the field with daily use filters out a lot of the junk, for all the basic reasons marginal holster designs are what they are.

BTW, for a decent IWB holster that should do you very well, consider the Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster. Many have been sold over the years, and it's a perennial favorite. Decent design and quality. With a suitable belt, it should never have the issues you're describing. (Of course, the MS VMII will take some time to order/acquire, in high demand that it is.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not familiar with the Aegis Armory brand of holsters, but what you describe reminds me of my soft collapsible holster I used for the first 6 months. If you're not using a hardshell type holster that maintains it's shape and size inside your waistband, whether your firearm is in it or not, then what you're experiencing is to be expected. I now use (for 3.5 years) a Crossbreed Supertuck, but there are several other similar "hardshell" IWB's out there.

This allows one-handed drawing, AND reholstering. It also allows you to tighten the belt as tight as your preference. I CC a Ruger P95, old school bulky & heavy, almost 2 lbs. loaded, & can tighten the belt 1 extra hole to support the weight without affecting the holster functions. With my soft holster, I would have to undo my belt and pants waist band in order to reholster, requiring both hands. If you're using a soft holster, I'd say that's 95% of your problem, belt only 5% in terms of your drawing & re-holstering problems. A good belt is always recommended, but that alone will not solve your soft holster issues.
    Pinot likes this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Also could be the holster needs further breaking in.
    rocky likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Also could be the holster needs further breaking in.
    This is my thought too. What model holster are you using? I just read where ageis says no breaking needed for their hybrid model , however either it does need break in or the holster is made wrong. What gun are you using? Pics of the gun in the holster may help too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Good advice here. Personally, I like a firm holster around a firm trigger on a firm belt.

Fast is smooth and smooth is fast like a pentatonic scale or driving for a bucket.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links