Buckeye Firearms web site under attack

This is a discussion on Buckeye Firearms web site under attack within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Copied from their email newsletter sent at 2:45pm Jul 24: ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• BFA is under attack from an unknown outside entity. The website is down and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Buckeye Firearms web site under attack

Copied from their email newsletter sent at 2:45pm Jul 24:
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    BFA is under attack from an unknown outside entity. The website is down and communications systems are non-functional.

Here's what we know so far ...

If you've tried to visit our website today, you know it's not there any more. At some time this morning, it came under attack from an outside source.

FACTS:
    •Our IT guy says it's a "denial of service" or DoS attack. This is not the ordinary "hack" attack that we've experienced many times in the past. A DoS attack involves using significant resources to bombard a server to temporarily or permanently disrupt service.

•This attack took out our websites, both Buckeye Firearms Association and Buckeye Firearms Foundation.

•Our email communication services also went down. Leaders are located all over the state of Ohio, so we've had to set up a temporary alternate email list to stay in touch as we work through this issue.

•This attack was so overwhelming, it took down the entire company that hosts our website. Thousands of IP addresses have been caught up in the digital bloodshed.

•Shortly after all the company servers went down, their power went down. And our IT guy says his cell phone service vanished.

We don't yet know where this attack came from, but we find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that it's happening at the very moment a story went national about raising funds to enable George Zimmerman to purchase a new firearm after Eric Holder and the DOJ decided to prevent him from getting his personal property back.

We've received threats, hate male, and angry late night phone calls. We're sending you this message to let you know what's going on just in case they take out more of our resources and we are unable to communicate with you.

REST ASSURED: We are working on getting our website back up. And the work goes on to push pro-gun legislation, meet with law makers, and defend the Second Amendment. We may communicate online, but our strength has always been in our vast grassroots and our personal relationships with your representatives in government.

The check to Zimmerman is being sent to him as you read this. We collected $25,000 from our recent gun raffle. Our events and teacher training classes are moving forward. We CANNOT be stopped by technological temper tantrums like this.

We're posting updates on our Facebook page as we know more. You can visit it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bucke...n/343253480089

Dean
    Marketing & Communications Director

How about it's an overwhelming show of thank you e-mail, inquiries, and general show of support. Support so large it only appears as a DoS attack.

Think positive.

I was just about to post something about this. I got the e-mail earlier today.

Posters, this is one warning for this thread: this happened to reasons tertiary to the GZ trial. Keep this thread focus on what is going on with BFA, and don't discuss the trial, or its outcome here.

It will be interested to see this develop, and see how much info they release.

They also have a raffle going on right now, (tickets are sold out), but the drawing is in the near future. All proceeds from that go to their firearms training program for teachers, another program some elements don't like very much.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Being in the IT world you would be shocked how often these attacks happen. The most probable reality is that this has nothing to do with Z and everything to do with the fact that you made national news. People attack "popular" websites that are vulnerable to attack, once you made national news you became "popular" and they tested to see if an attack would work, it did, so until your hosting service gets its act together they will keep your site down. Why? Because they can.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i saw this a few hours ago on FB as well. the group "anonymous" comes to mind, so i went to the anon sites. it would appear that while some anons supported TM early on they have not voiced any opinion on the issue recently and did not call for it`s members to launch a DDoS attack on BFA.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Being in the IT world you would be shocked how often these attacks happen. The most probable reality is that this has nothing to do with Z and everything to do with the fact that you made national news.
    Very likely.

But at a hosting service/provider with literally thousands of other customers, it's also all too likely that one of the other thousands was the real cause of the attack. Hard to know, without knowing who those other thousands were. But, given the vehemence of the Z fallout, targeting of the BF website isn't unlikely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doright View Post
    Copied from their email newsletter sent at 2:45pm Jul 24:
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••
    BFA is under attack from an unknown outside entity. The website is down and communications systems are non-functional.

Here's what we know so far ...

If you've tried to visit our website today, you know it's not there any more. At some time this morning, it came under attack from an outside source.

FACTS:
    •Our IT guy says it's a "denial of service" or DoS attack. This is not the ordinary "hack" attack that we've experienced many times in the past. A DoS attack involves using significant resources to bombard a server to temporarily or permanently disrupt service.

•This attack took out our websites, both Buckeye Firearms Association and Buckeye Firearms Foundation.

•Our email communication services also went down. Leaders are located all over the state of Ohio, so we've had to set up a temporary alternate email list to stay in touch as we work through this issue.

•This attack was so overwhelming, it took down the entire company that hosts our website. Thousands of IP addresses have been caught up in the digital bloodshed.

•Shortly after all the company servers went down, their power went down. And our IT guy says his cell phone service vanished.

We don't yet know where this attack came from, but we find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that it's happening at the very moment a story went national about raising funds to enable George Zimmerman to purchase a new firearm after Eric Holder and the DOJ decided to prevent him from getting his personal property back.

We've received threats, hate male, and angry late night phone calls. We're sending you this message to let you know what's going on just in case they take out more of our resources and we are unable to communicate with you.

REST ASSURED: We are working on getting our website back up. And the work goes on to push pro-gun legislation, meet with law makers, and defend the Second Amendment. We may communicate online, but our strength has always been in our vast grassroots and our personal relationships with your representatives in government.

The check to Zimmerman is being sent to him as you read this. We collected $25,000 from our recent gun raffle. Our events and teacher training classes are moving forward. We CANNOT be stopped by technological temper tantrums like this.

We're posting updates on our Facebook page as we know more. You can visit it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bucke...n/343253480089

Dean
    Marketing & Communications Director
    "Shortly after all the company servers went down, their power went down. And our IT guy says his cell phone service vanished."

I'm a dinosaur, no techie, but I play electrician now and again when I feel like living dangerously. I really don't see how their electric power would have gone down via a DOS attack. Nor, how your IT guy's cell phone service would vanish. That is 3 separate systems if the
    cell phone has its own internet connectivity through a major provider such as ATT or Verizon; or really any of the large players.

I think Mr. Outwestsystems has it about right, though there seems to be some coincidental weird stuff. I don't know about the
    cell phone issue, seems weird. I have to wonder if instead of a denial of service on the server @ your host, perhaps your host actually was suffering from some power problems which took his system down.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    "Shortly after all the company servers went down, their power went down. And our IT guy says his cell phone service vanished."
    The power went down? Sorry but I have to think someone is full of it. All hosting services that I know have, use continuous power supplies and a generator back-up system (if they are large enough). But ALL hosting services should be able to run for at least a few hours without power incoming. I might be that they are just trying to explain away why they haven't killed the DOS attack yet.

I got the email today as well. I posted on there this morning before I left for work, and got the email later. That explains why I couldn't link over to a reply on a post I made on there. Hopefully they get it up and going soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I'm a dinosaur, no techie, but I play electrician now and again when I feel like living dangerously. I really don't see how their electric power would have gone down via a DOS attack. Nor, how your IT guy's cell phone service would vanish. That is 3 separate systems if the cell phone has its own internet connectivity through a major provider such as ATT or Verizon; or really any of the large players.
    More likely, by far: the DoS attack prompted going off-line, which negated the need for power other than for the crucial infrastructure stuff until they nailed the problems (and thus isolating everyone's websites from further damage), all the while the IT guy switched to his emergency phone for in-house use. Can't imagine the telephone company would have any issues due to XYZ company being targeted. After all, these DoS idjets are adept, but they aren't the technological equivalent of Hurricane Sandy.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 25th, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Often times, and I suspect this time, these "DoS" attacks are, in reality, nothing more than a site that suddently gains popularity, or notoriety, and receives more visits in an hour than they would normally receive in a year. The host, especially if they are marginal to begin with, can't handle the load. They have to take the site down to keep it from killing all of their accounts. When these things happen, it's far easier to blame a "DoS" attack......

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Being in the IT world you would be shocked how often these attacks happen. The most probable reality is that this has nothing to do with Z and everything to do with the fact that you made national news. People attack "popular" websites that are vulnerable to attack, once you made national news you became "popular" and they tested to see if an attack would work, it did, so until your hosting service gets its act together they will keep your site down. Why? Because they can.
    Truth. I work for an IT company and we just spent the last week digging out from under a DDOS attack on out network.

VIP Member
    Aside from all of the current discussion, to me this is just another example of how fragile our communication resources are. Our plug can easily be pulled.

Note to self: Get going on HAM radio license and equipment.
    darbo, OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I thought the Zimmerman publicity campaign was a risky move when I heard about it.
    buckeye .45 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc is awesome...they will be back up in running in no time (not without some work). I hope they catch the punks that attacked them. But also hoping it is, like what was stated, nothing more than tons of visitors in light of the Zimmerman campaign.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links