Charges dropped against man who shot dog.

This is a discussion on Charges dropped against man who shot dog. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... Still cost him $1,000, and he had to register his guns, even though leaving D.C.... Just goes to show, even justifiable defense of others, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Charges dropped against man who shot dog.

... Still cost him $1,000, and he had to register his guns, even though leaving D.C....

Just goes to show, even justifiable defense of others, even helpless children, can be costly...

Story here: http://www.abc27.com/story/22918832/...-attacking-dog

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

That's just wrong in so many ways. Why was the citizen charged, but not the attending officer who shot two dogs??.

I attended a gun safety course last year run by the local sheriffs office, one of the questions I asked was about shooting a dog. The assistant DA who was there told me "dogs are not humans, and if you're threatened by one, shoot away".

Sara Lou
    Aceoky likes this.
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    That's just wrong in so many ways. Why was the citizen charged, but not the attending officer who shot two dogs??.
    He was charged with having an unregistered hand-gun in a place that requires you to register them. He could have had some jail time, but instead the DA did the right thing and let him off with a fine and that was about it.

Just because you disagree with a law doesn't mean you can ignore it and expect to get away with it.
    IndianaSig, USM1976 and jem102 like this.

Glad the charges were dropped. Hopefully he will get some local assistance through donations by people who agree with what he did.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post

I attended a gun safety course last year run by the local sheriffs office, one of the questions I asked was about shooting a dog. The assistant DA who was there told me "dogs are not humans, and if you're threatened by one, shoot away".

Sara Lou
    Then are we to understand that a police dog is still just a dog? I've read in a few cases where police dogs were shot that the shooter was charged with a felony due to the dog's status.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

There's something wrong with our legal system. It's too subjective. You could do everything right and still get penalized.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    The really effed up part of that story is at the end where it says he is planning on moving to Maryland...

If you are going to move out of DC, cross water to do it.
    oneshot, Brent95 and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ki7rw1 View Post
    There's something wrong with our legal system. It's too subjective. You could do everything right and still get penalized.
    Except in this case he broke the law. We might all disagree with that law, but he still broke it.
    USM1976 likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    It is bad it happened to him,especially the situation.I have 2 dogs.They are part of the family.I hate animal abuse.That said,an aggressive dog tries to attack me,off their property,i will shoot him,in a heart beat.
    Aceoky and Brent95 like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Originally Posted by Zralou

Sara Lou
    Then are we to understand that a police dog is still just a dog? I've read in a few cases where police dogs were shot that the shooter was charged with a felony due to the dog's status.
    Police dogs are generally considered to be law enforcement. You attack or injure one, you'll likely be charged with assault on an officer.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

He needs to make wiser choices regarding state of residence.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Should have poked a few holes in it(the dog) with a sharp spear.

Sad when you would actually have to think something like that depending on where you live.

D.C. is Disneyland on the Potomac.

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
    Will Rogers

" The country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of the hammer "Will Rogers

Trying to control crime with gun control laws is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Hermann Goering:
    Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. quote verified at snopes.com
    Last edited by oneshot; July 26th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    If that police dog was not with an officer and was attacking unprovoked, then yes, it is still just a dog.

Sara Lou
    If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you lost...

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn...

It never gets easier, you just get stronger...

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    He was charged with having an unregistered hand-gun in a place that requires you to register them. He could have had some jail time, but instead the DA did the right thing and let him off with a fine and that was about it.

Just because you disagree with a law doesn't mean you can ignore it and expect to get away with it.
    While not a sure sign of the apocalypse, it is a rare event indeed for me to be moved to like your post. There is yet hope for you.....

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    While not a sure sign of the apocalypse, it is a rare event indeed for me to be moved to like your post. There is yet hope for you.....
    Or hope for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links