Trading the extra mag for pepper spray..........

This is a discussion on Trading the extra mag for pepper spray.......... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After doing a great deal of thinking, I have decided to forego the extra mag that I carry and replacing it with a small can ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree255Likes

Thread: Trading the extra mag for pepper spray..........

After doing a great deal of thinking, I have decided to forego the extra mag that I carry and replacing it with a small can of pepper spray (they are very small)

Living in a very safe neighborhood in North Dallas area, the odds are, there is little chance I would need a weapon at all. on top of that, a non lethal response could be needed as much, if not more than a lethal response.

Lets say that a dog attacks my dog when we are out walking. Having an option other than a gun would be appropriate and desirable.

There are also many other situations that I can think of that a less than lethal solution would be better.

Hopefully I NEVER need either.....

If the pepper spray wont work, My 7 rounds of 40 cal will have to do

If I lived in a rough area, I may think different, but having another option seems like the best approach.
    Zralou and ArmyCop like this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

when all you have is a hammer much more things start looking like a nail, with that being said I carry both an extra mag and a can of OC....and flashlight....and a knife....lol
    Aceoky, oldnfat, oneshot and 3 others like this.

Always good to have less than lethal options.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    And let's say you end up in a situation where you actually need to use your firearm and the magazine jams...Then what?

I'm sure you have room in your pockets/on your person for both pepper spray and a backup magazine (note I didn't call it an extra magazine).
    BadgerJ and squid86 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

OC spray is always good, but so is an extra mag...not for more rounds, but for malfunctions.
    Words from victims after a crime (just watch TV) usually go something like this, "I can't believe it happened in this neighborhood because it's so safe here."
    Aceoky, gasmitty, BadgerJ and 5 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To each his/her own. I carry at least one 1911 (two when traveling even locally) min two extra mags and a nice sharp knife- YMMV I don't live or go to what I consider dangerous areas or do stupid things with/around stupid people but no matter how safe a place may "seem" real world data tells us anything can happen to anyone anywhere at any given time. IMHO , YMMV

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    After doing a great deal of thinking, I have decided to forego the extra mag that I carry and replacing it with a small can of pepper spray (they are very small)

Living in a very safe neighborhood in North Dallas area, the odds are, there is little chance I would need a weapon at all. on top of that, a non lethal response cold be needed as much, if not more than a lethal response.

Lets say that a dog attacks my dog when we are out walking. Having an option other than a gun would be appropriate and desirable.

There are also many other situations that I can think of that a less than lethal solution would be better.

Hopefully I NEVER need either.....

If the pepper spray wont work, My 7 rounds of 40 cal will have to do

If I lived in a rough area, I may think different, but having another option seems like the best approach.
    You should spend some time researching the crimes in your "safe neighborhood" and the areas where you travel.
    perfection likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i carry a gun, spare mag, mace and light. the mace is the only item i have actually used in self defense.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    Having a less-than-lethal option is a good thing.

But it won't change the calculus of a situation that does require the use of deadly force. Just realize that you might have gained capability in other situations, but by having no spare mag you introduce the risk of ammo or mag failures causing your weapon to fail to run. Heaven forbid that occurs in a situation in which it's vital it continue running. Just something to think about, when ditching the spare mag(s).
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 26th, 2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: grammar
    Aceoky, squid86 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If size is an issue, look at the ASP Palm Defender for OC spray. Don't give up the spare magazine.
    ppkheat likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    To each his/her own. I carry at least one 1911 (two when traveling even locally) min two extra mags and a nice sharp knife- YMMV I don't live or go to what I consider dangerous areas or do stupid things with/around stupid people but no matter how safe a place may "seem" real world data tells us anything can happen to anyone anywhere at any given time. IMHO , YMMV
    agreed. stupid people are everywhere, they multiply and spread and do stupid things wherever they go, stupefying the areas they occupy. the transformation can happen rather quickly.
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I say you're fine. Carrying two guns, pepper spray, a knife, a flashlight, and your keys/wallet/cellphone is excessive.

Fine? Most semi malfunctions are ammo/mag related when you only have one that doesn't work you're FAR from fine when your life is on the line
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Distinguished Member
    What are you going to bring to eat?
    squid86 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links