EDITED Alabama, North Dakota, Arkansas, North Carolina Law Changes!

This is a discussion on EDITED Alabama, North Dakota, Arkansas, North Carolina Law Changes! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; EDIT - I stated that AL would issue a Vehicle Carry Permit Only to those who wished to carry in a vehicle. That item was ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By Gary Slider
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: EDITED Alabama, North Dakota, Arkansas, North Carolina Law Changes!

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

EDIT - I stated that AL would issue a Vehicle Carry Permit Only to those who wished to carry in a vehicle. That item was stripped from the bill before it was sent to the governor. I looked at the previous version. I have removed that wording from the below post. Gary Slider

Starting August 1, 2013 Alabama will honor all other states permit/licenses and Alabama becomes a “Shall Issue” state. Alabama issued like a Shall Issue state but some Sheriffs were putting additional restrictions on the permit/licenses they issued. I was mainly hearing they restricted carry on the permit/license they issued in places that serve alcohol. They can no longer do that. Also their yearly permit/license can now be issued at the applicants request for 1 to 5 years.

On Aug 16 Arkansas will join the group of states that honor all other states permit/licenses.
    North Dakota now allows Restaurant Carry. This law becomes effect August 1, 2013. As I write this North Carolina has sent a bill to the Governor to allow Restaurant Carry and removes some places that are off limits plus other revisions to t heir Firearm Laws. If the Governor signs this the bill the new law will take effect October 1, 2013.
    2013 has been a very busy year for Handgunlaw.us. Many states have been changing their firearm laws. Illinois joined the ranks of states allowing Concealed Carry. Kansas made major changes in their law. We added an “Open Carry Section” to each states page. Questions via email have gone up tremendously and I have answered every one of them. Many times I have to tell people to contact an Attorney or talk to the agency that issues permit/licenses. This is the first time in the 18+ years that I have been doing this that I felt a little overwhelmed. The plus side to feeling overwhelmed is that the vast majority of changes have been positive for us who carry firearms for Self Defense!

In late July Handgunlaw.us was responding sometimes with an “Over Bandwidth” page when people were trying to access the site. I am not a computer geek (Wish I were!) and this is the way I understand it as explained to me by Steve.

This was not caused by being over our allotted bandwidth. This was caused by a “denial of service” attack from two Servers. One in California and the other in Pennsylvania. This went on for a week before the issue could be tracked down and the IP addresses blocked. It was a sophisticated attack not just someone messing around. We hope this solves the problem. We doubled our bandwidth a few months back and we have plenty of bandwidth to serve all the legitimate visitors to the site. We do not know who was behind the attack we just know where it was coming from. The attackers were not in California or Pennsylvania. They were just using those servers. Steve and our ISP put in many hours working together tracking down and blocking the attack.

I can’t say, “Thank You” enough to those who have assisted me with the law changes. I could never do this by myself. Thank you!

Handgunlaw.us has been updated to show the changes that have gone into effect as of today. Other changes will be added to the respective state pages on the date their new laws become effective.
    Last edited by Gary Slider; July 26th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

As always much appreciated is your hard work and dedication keeping us informed!!!

VIP Member
    You guys rock over there. Many thanks!

VIP Member
    21-gun salute to Handgunlaw.us for their part in making positive changes by facilitating education and communication!
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am sure that overwhelmed feeling may not go away for some time given the current state of gun laws. Keep up the outstanding job you have done.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

VIP Member
    Thanks for the updates.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Any chance of a mobile friendly version of Handgunlaw.us. ?

Not as far as I know. The site is viewable on most phones.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Thanks so much for the great work on keeping us informed we could not get along without you and your team.

I'll add my thanks, and also add a question about your interpretation of Michigan pistol free zones.

First the legalize, I am not a lawyer and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, if you want to test the legality do so at your own risk, and be prepared to be face planted if you try to open carry in some of the areas that are restricted but here is the documentation I can find concerning this;

According the Michigan State Police website and monthly updates, a CPL holder can OPEN carry a gun in the areas that are designated Pistol Free Zones. I believe this occurred because the original gun law allowed those with the original hard to get CPL to carry concealed in the PFZ. Then when the new CPL laws were written the law states if you have a CPL you cannot carry "concealed" in those areas, but due to the original loophole you can still open carry.

This is supposedly supported by Michigan Attorney General opinion, and MSP bulletins as referenced below.

Opinion #7113
    Note the last 5 paragraphs state that the exemption applies to law officers AND CPL holders

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf
    Look at the second sentence at the top of the right hand column of page 1.

TedBeau, I believe you are correct on your statement. From everything I have heard from my contacts in Michigan they all say that. In the Open Carry section of the Michigan page I state:

Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above may not apply to those who open carry. (See state orgs for more information on places off limits when open carrying)

Again those who should know the law in Michigan tell me that Open Carry is allowed in many places that Concealed is not.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/63-...20130729183140

Link to bill as passed.

Below link is to the history of the Bill
    http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/63-...ns/ba1241.html

Date Chamber Meeting Description Journal
    01/14 House Introduced, first reading, referred Judiciary Committee HJ 103
    01/22 House Committee Hearing 10:40
    01/23 House Reported back, do pass, place on calendar 13 0 1 HJ 209
    01/25 House Second reading, passed, yeas 85 nays 0 HJ 233
    01/29 Senate Received from House SJ 191
    02/12 Senate Introduced, first reading, referred Judiciary Committee SJ 349
    03/19 Senate Committee Hearing 09:30
    03/26 Senate Reported back amended, do pass, amendment placed on calendar 4 3 0 SJ 882
    03/27 Senate Amendment adopted, placed on calendar SJ 889
    03/28 Senate Second reading, passed as amended, yeas 39 nays 6 SJ 910
    03/29 House Returned to House (12) HJ 1130
    04/08 House Concurred HJ 1258
    Second reading, passed, yeas 88 nays 5 HJ 1258
    04/09 Senate Signed by President SJ 1212
    04/12 House Signed by Speaker HJ 1593
    Sent to Governor HJ 1517
    04/17 House Signed by Governor 04/15 HJ 1650
    04/18 Filed with Secretary Of State 04/16
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    McCrory has signed HB937 and will be effective 1 Oct 2013.
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sponsored Links