Virginia CCW + which others for greatest multi-state?

This is a discussion on Virginia CCW + which others for greatest multi-state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a new CCW in Alexandria (bunch of hoops to jump through, nothing that tough though), and I'm wondering about how I can knock off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia CCW + which others for greatest multi-state?

I'm a new CCW in Alexandria (bunch of hoops to jump through, nothing that tough though), and I'm wondering about how I can knock off the most states with the fewest multi-state CCW/CHP permits. I'm already planning on getting Utah as soon as I can, but I'm curious as to what other states fellow Virginians would suggest. Thanks for the help, and great to find this forum!

Florida is always a good one to get. If you are unsure which permits to get for multi state purposes, then check out http://www.packing.org . They show which states honor permits from other states.

Better Source For Comparison

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf . Much easier to work with and kept far more up to date than PDO which has, IMHO, become pretty much a lost cause...at least from a data and currency standpoint.

Looks like Utah or Florida would be your best choices to add to a VA permit. Florida, is a more expensive choice (at $117.00 for five years ) vs Utah's $59.00 for five years BUT, Utah requires additional Utah specific training. Florida may not require any further training depending on what was required to get your VA permit. Florida takes virtually anything that shows firearms experience and therefore is more flexible in that regard when compared to Utah.
    Last edited by realtor; November 27th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

Agreed on the Fla. permit. It is more expensive, but basic NRA certification from anywhere is accepted for proof of training. My wife and I both have the Florida CCW...not that the PRNJ will honor it As a matter of fact, the NRA affiliated range we belong to has specific days where they bring all the Fla. paperwork and fingerprint cards to try to get more people to apply. This is in hopes of eventually getting the figures in front of the PRNJ legislature, in an attempt to become a shall issue state in a true sense. In reality all you need to do is contact the Florida Dept. of Agriculture for the paperwork to bew sent to you. Good luck!

I got NH CCW not to long ago. It's pretty easy and only $20, it covers you in 8 more states including GA, which I frequent. I'm working on TX CCW to be covered in SC. I don't remember off hand but how many states does FL CCW cover that VA CCW doesn't?

"Virginia CCW + which others for greatest multi-state?" you ask.

I live in Pennsylvania and as well as my own state I have a Virginia Permit. This covers Ohio & West Virginia, both close to me. Between these 2 I have decent coverage.

Packing.org was down earlier (seems common) so you may want to check on USCCA sight. ...good luck...enjoy...stay safe
    The Second Amendment ...The Original Homeland Security..NRA ...
    "to make money is great ...to make friends is greater ...to make both is the greatest" ...Rege Cordic
    "the first task of doing good is to avoid doing bad"...The Bancroft Strategy

[

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    I got NH CCW not to long ago. It's pretty easy and only $20, it covers you in 8 more states including GA, which I frequent. I'm working on TX CCW to be covered in SC. I don't remember off hand but how many states does FL CCW cover that VA CCW doesn't?
    My Pennsylvania License covers New Hampshire...but how do we get through New York State? They are tough, tough!! And I don't think they (NY) even honor the "Federal-Peaceable Journey Law".

If you know something I don't about New York, please post it.
    "to make money is great ...to make friends is greater ...to make both is the greatest" ...Rege Cordic

[

Quote Originally Posted by keystone state View Post

I live in Pennsylvania and as well as my own state I have a Virginia Permit. This covers Ohio & West Virginia, both close to me. Between these 2 I have decent coverage.

I thought WV only honnored KY and VA resident permits? If I'm wrong then well cool and I guess it's time to get the VA as well.

Anyone have any insight.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    I thought WV only honnored KY and VA resident permits? If I'm wrong then well cool and I guess it's time to get the VA as well.

Anyone have any insight.
    I stand corrected!! West Virginia...only honors Virginia 'Resident license'. Recalling back I got Va-Non Res primarily for Ohio as Erie, same as Pittsburgh is close. I know you'e close to the
    Hillbilly State- also. At least this is a state WV does honor...and maybe we could sneek it through? I Know, just maybe.

But, now to take this a step forward, neither Florida or Utah is honored by West Virginia. West Virginia doesn't honor much.

[

Imma probably look into the NH since it's so cheap, I stick to driving around the NE quadrant of the states, and I'm not too worried about SC myself either. It'd be nice to have PA too since I have family there. Eventually I'd probably get the UT to fill out Delaware and some mid-west states, but I dunno if I'd ever consider that seriously because my main family is in NJ and there's no point if I can't get from VA to NJ without going through Maryland and NJ (both super gun-hating states with no reciprocity to any other. ugh.).

Missouri does not offer non-resident permits, however the MO permit is accepted by more states than any other, thanks to the work of the fine grass-roots group at missouricarry.com.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    If you are a VA resident, will getting your TX ccw permit help you with SC as they only recognize resident permits?

South Carolina Code Section 23-31-215(N) requires that valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored in South Carolina
    As found on SLED's web page: http://www.sled.state.sc.us/default.htm

Please let me know if something has changed and I'll be going after TX myself as this is the only state that SC recognizes that offers non-resident permits.

Thanks,

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I agree that Fla and Utah are the 2 best to add, as they will give you the best coverage. I am unaware of any Utah specific training required. When I took my course though, it was taught as a multistate class. I went down to Metro to get fingerprinted and turn in my Nevada application, and got extra fingerprint cards. I then went to the post office and mailed off my Utah and Fla apps, along with the appropriate check and a fingerprint card. Got the Utah in 60 days, Fla in 90, followed by Nevada around 100 or so (the memory is going, so it's difficult to be exact). Nothing more was required than the app, check, fingerprint, and my class certificate. BTW, I'm from Richmond originally, and I try to go back yearly to see my mother. Due to work problems, it will be a while, but I'm looking forward to my next visit. I brought 2 of my handguns last trip, and I took a friend to a range. Next trip will be more fun, as VA accepts both my Fla and Utah permits.

NH question

from the New Hampsire CCW Application>

I consent to the release of information about my ability and fitness to carry a pistol/revolver by employers, schools, medical/
    psychiatric services, law enforcement agencies, and other individuals and organizations, to my local police chief, his designee,
    and/or authorized employees of the State of New Hampshire.

....does that mean they [may] mail my employer? and notify them of my permit? The wording was gray as it said "by" vs "to"

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ts/dssp260.pdf

Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by ccWV View Post
    If you are a VA resident, will getting your TX ccw permit help you with SC as they only recognize resident permits?
    Yes that is the main reason why I want TX permit. SC is the only state that I'm not covered in that I frequent and a TX permit will cover that.

You can also get a ccw from SC if you have property down there. One of our members who owned a time share out in SC turned in an App for CCW I wonder how that turned out. I don't remember who it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links