Washington State CC Question

This is a discussion on Washington State CC Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am active military, and at the beginning of the new year, I am most likely getting stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA. Since they do ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By A1Fiddler
  • 1 Post By Pinot
  • 1 Post By bigpapa
  • 1 Post By BigStick
  • 2 Post By 9MMare

Thread: Washington State CC Question

Washington State CC Question

I am active military, and at the beginning of the new year, I am most likely getting stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA. Since they do not honor a TX CHL (only because TX will issue to under 21 if military) I am trying to research what I will have to do to get my license in WA. From what I can see on the website, all I have to do is contact the local sheriffs dept with my fingerprints and submit an application form and wait till they do the background check. Does anyone know if this is something I can do through mail so that I can have my license BEFORE I get there? Plus I would like to double check that there is no classroom requirements.
    SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

"Fear is like having faith in the enemy"

2. Remove Ads

As far as I know, you have to show up in person to the Sheriff's office to do your fingerprinting. WA is pretty good about turn around times on CPLs. I got mine in a week. I had friends get theirs in 30 days, which is the max. There are NO training requirements for a WA CPL. Just show up, fill out the application (or do it before hand like I did and hand it in when you do your fingerprinting), and pay the $52 or so. It's been my experience that you'll get your CPL faster if you go through the local PD rather than the county Sheriff. You can only do that though if you're a resident of the local city. If you're in unincorporated Pierce county, you have to go to the Sheriff's office. If you do go through the local PD, you'll probably have to schedule an appointment.

Without turning this into a CC vs OC debate, WA is a OC state (unlike Texas), so if you feel the need to carry before you get your CPL you can always OC. You just can't carry loaded in a vehicle.
    mgillitzer likes this.
    NRA Life Member

A1GFiddler is correct. You will need to be a Washington Resident ( have a WA state drivers license) and go to the local police station of the city you live in or the Sheriff's office if you reside outside the city limits, do the finger prints, and if you pass the background check you got it. Almost forgot, PAY THE MONEY.
    mgillitzer likes this.

Yeah, pretty much what A1Fiddler said, I went to LESA to get mines, there are location right almost of the county city building. I receive my CHL in about two or three weeks, they do everything for you there and send you your CHL.
    mgillitzer likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    A1Fiddler is correct, no training requirements, and I think you do have to show up in person. The other question I have is will you be applying for a non-resident permit, or since you are moving here long term, getting the resident permit? Because I think if you are going for a resident permit, you might have to prove that you have lived here 90 days before you can get one. I'm not sure exactly how it reads, but you might be able to apply as soon as you get a WA driver's license.

Here is the state laws on guns Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

Check it out for yourself, and read up on the local requirements and restrictions. In general, no schools (college is ok), no federally restricted areas, and no part of a business that is restricted to people >21 because they make the majority of their money on alcohol. Restraunts that serve alcohol are ok, you just can't sit in the "bar" portion of the restraunt.

Welcome to the great Pacific Northwest.
    mgillitzer likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Yes, fingerprints, background check, and for you....meeting the residency requirements (I dont know if there is a minimum on that).

If they've caught up, you should have it in about a week.

Welcome! Compared to TX...this place is Heaven in the summer!
    mgillitzer and Aceoky like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Yes, I'm not a military guy so I'm not sure how that works either as far as residency goes. If you call the Pierce county Sheriff's office I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you.
    NRA Life Member

If you haven't moved to WA yet, you can always apply for a non-resident permit. I did this and, once I moved to WA and met the 6-month residency requirement, replaced it with a resident permit. However, you do have to apply in person for the non-resident permit.

Links