Posted gun shops

Posted gun shops

This is a discussion on Posted gun shops within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in the greater Orlando area, the signage on the gun shop door read: "No loaded guns, no exceptions" Now it reads: "No loaded guns. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Posted gun shops

Posted gun shops

Here in the greater Orlando area, the signage on the gun shop door read:
    "No loaded guns, no exceptions"
    Now it reads:
    "No loaded guns.
    We honor your rights to have a concealed weapon.
    Concealed means concealed"

I asked the clerk and he said, "if you are coming in to make a purchase, and you have a loaded CONCEALED handgun, we are OK with it. Concealed means concealed.
    If you are bringing in a gun to trade or shoot at the range, have it unloaded"

Its about time they got realistic.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Almost every LGS I've been too feels the same way
    USM1976 and Eagleks like this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    An indoor range,i have visited a couple of times,in another city,has a sign kinda like that..I asked one of the guys about the sign,just being curious.They told me,the owner was getting tired of a very few,doing stupid things with a gun.I guess i should have said, you could conceal,as long,as it was holstered..No rifles,in some kind of case,gotta go.Not concealed you are gone,but,the signs are very visible,unless,you walk in backwards,i guess,lol..He said,he wasn't trying to be a jerk,but,his place,his rules.
    Last edited by Manderinobyebye; July 26th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.

I go into a little indoor range in Port Charlotte. Pay for my lane, he turns on a/c and exhaust system. I take my EDC out of my holster, unload my Defensive loaded mag, clear my chamber of it's round and load my range ammo and fire away. do reverse when I'm done and leave loaded. Lucky I guess, and happy also. Of course I don't go in waving anything around like an idiot either.

Does have sign posted with range rules, but never gives me any problems.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Those that run,and or own,the gun ranges,has to do what they do,to keep someone from shooting theirself,or,someone,obviously.

One i go to,is the same way,except,this one,no shotguns allowed,and,if you shoot a rifle,you have to be a member,but,it still has to be in some kind of case.

They are nice people thou..I shot there,not to long ago,with a really nice man,who has been a DC member for a few yrs.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I respect the right of the business owners to post the sign, but it is also my right to shop elsewhere and I elect do so every time I see a no gun sign posted......
    BigPony and Alex_C like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

There is a indoor range,i went to with my Dad a couple of times.They had a couple of signs on the door.CCing was fine,but,it had to be holstered.They had one at the counter,i had never seen before.It said no refund on gun purchases.Evidently,there was a couple of people,had bought a gun,didn't like it,and tried to get their money back,lol.I know better than that.

VIP Member
    One of my fave LGS in Virginia has a sign that states "Holstered guns welcomed, if you unholster you will be shot. If you unholster to shoot a burglerer you will be thanked."

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I asked the clerk and he said, "if you are coming in to make a purchase, and you have a loaded CONCEALED handgun, we are OK with it. Concealed means concealed. If you are bringing in a gun to trade or shoot at the range, have it unloaded"

Its about time they got realistic.

Almost invariably (when I've asked), that's how they meant such signage.

It's pretty simple: We support the lawful carry of defensive sidearms by all of our customers; but, if you're bringing in a gun for service or sale, bring it in unloaded and inside a locked case only. <<-- If they worded things in that way, there'd be no misunderstandings. Though, of course, there'd be a few folks who still wouldn't get it right, via bringing in loaded guns they "didn't know" were loaded.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've seen a lot of silly people do a lot of silly things with unholstered guns at a range. The rule at my range is that everything has to be in a case unless it is your concealed carry piece. I'm good with the rule. Now if they said "no loaded guns allowed unless you are at the firing line" that would be the end of my patronage.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Gun store down in Modesto hasd a bullet-catcher. If you need to unload to try holsters, etc, they want you to go into the back room and unload/reload with the muzzle in the tube. I'm OK with that, there are enough dufii out there to warrant caution with the general public.
    Snub44 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    Those that run,and or own,the gun ranges,has to do what they do,to keep someone from shooting theirself,or,someone,obviously.

One i go to,is the same way,except,this one,no shotguns allowed,and,if you shoot a rifle,you have to be a member,but,it still has to be in some kind of case.

They are nice people thou..I shot there,not to long ago,with a really nice man,who has been a DC member for a few yrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    There is a indoor range,i went to with my Dad a couple of times.They had a couple of signs on the door.CCing was fine,but,it had to be holstered.They had one at the counter,i had never seen before.It said no refund on gun purchases.Evidently,there was a couple of people,had bought a gun,didn't like it,and tried to get their money back,lol.I know better than that.
    They must really like commas down in South Carolina lol.

I would not patronize any gun shop that does not respect my right to be armed. Their place, their rules. My dollar, my choice.
    ccw9mm, pittypat21 and BigPony like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

VIP Member
    I think it is pretty much universal for gun stores/ranges. They seem many people daily walk through the doors. Some are like us, who a good knowledge of guns, practice the safe handling principles and respect the tool we carry. We are not the problem. It's the person who walks in with no knowledge of guns and doesn't know the rules of safe handling. Unfortunately there is no way to tell which is which.

Years ago when I was living in OK I was in a gun store. Guy came in and said he wanted to sell a gun. He pulled it (4" revolver) out of his waist band (mexican carry) to show the clerk. Clerk ask if it was loaded, the guy says "Nope it ain't loaded". Then points it at the back wall and pulls the trigger twice. The wall he pointed it at was the wall separating showroom and store room. He had no idea of what was behind the wall. Luckily the gun was empty.

This idiot couldn't figure out why the clerk went off on him and ordered him out of the store, telling him never to return.
    Aceoky and JDE101 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Private business are just that..Private business. Most serve the public. Consider this: How much of the cost of business, for an indoor gun range, is liability insurance. One mistake by someone and it is all over for the business. Not picking at the younger crowd, but after the trigger is pulled, even accidentally, you cant just hit reset as you do on Xbox or Playstation. The damage is done, lives are changed and the anti-gunners were just handed more ammo. I do not blame the range/gun store owners at all for not wanting John Q. Public to walk through the door with a loaded weapon.

I have no idea how many CCers are responsible individuals and neither do the business owners, but you have to admit, many CCers are just plain stupid, arrogant or both. Last time I looked an IQ test was not required for CC.

Unfortunately, being stupid or ignorant is legal. If stupidity and arrogance were illegal then insurance companies would go out of business.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I see you are in Florida. Aren't your laws similar to most other states with Concealed Carry statutes? All those silly "no guns" signs usually do not apply to citizens with a license to carry. The laws are pretty specific about posting, and trespassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I respect the right of the business owners to post the sign, but it is also my right to shop elsewhere and I elect do so every time I see a no gun sign posted......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links