It's been a month and I'm just fine!

This is a discussion on It's been a month and I'm just fine! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who don't know it I made a decision to let my membership at the shooting range expire. It's been a month and here's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: It's been a month and I'm just fine!

It's been a month and I'm just fine!

For those who don't know it I made a decision to let my membership at the shooting range expire. It's been a month and here's what I've discovered. The time and effort spent trying to find...And afford ammo is now a thing of the past!! While I still shoot my pistols ( Went out twice this month ) its no longer something I do two or more times a week. The time I've saved not chasing around finding ammo or going to the range is amazing. The money I've saved is incredible!!

I have more time to do things with the family, while still taking time to keep my skill level sharp with my handguns, I really thought I'd miss the range more but I don't. Call me paranoid but I always worried that the person on either side of me when at the range could make a mistake that could injure me or others. Shooting alone or with a trusted partner always made more sense to me than being on the firing line with people who may not have the skill level or understand (Muzzle control) is a cause for concern.

I guess I never realized just how much time and money I devoted to being a member at a indoor range. Will I ever renew my membership? I really don't know, even though it has some great benefits... In bad weather there's nothing better than indoor shooting! But I now ask myself if I weren't a member would I drag myself out to shoot in bad weather....Probably not.
    Ghost1958 and perfection like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You do what is best for you. It seems like there is never enough time or money to do everything we want to do. That is why we make choices.

Personally, I usually shoot once a week. That session is almost always focused training. I have never really understood the idea of just ripping off 50-100 rounds as fast as I can. Any yahoo with a dexterous trigger finger can do that. The way I look at it, every round I fire has a purpose. Keep that purpose in mind as you shoot and you will become a more proficient shooter as well as save time and money.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I would likely join my local range if I could afford the ammo needed for regular trips. As of right now, I have a boat load of .22, which is great since my wife carries an SR22, but finding and affording 9mm and .45 is still a dicey situation for me. The time I do spend at the range, I find it hard to leave. I always want to buy one more box, at an inflated price. Spent almost $150 one afternoon and thought my wife was going to kill me.

I too prefer to shoot with a purpose now. My first few trips to the range were more about blasting rounds at the target and less about being accurate. Now I shoot no more than five rounds per target, taking time to adjust my behavior and learn what I did right or wrong. I even take pictures of my targets to keep track of my progress.
    Aceoky likes this.

Hey, whatever works for you. Glad you were able to find a good balance. Fortunately, I don't have to leave my property to get range time in but now that I'm on a 9mm kick and adding 9mm guns, I'm now pretty much just spending the membership fees I would be saving on 9mm ammo instead.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The money saved on ammo just can't be denied!! The problem with a range membership at least for me was I didn't stop at a few magazines. I would usually fire 75 to 100rds. on each visit, all my fun money was spent in one hour! Then I would search high & low to replace the ammo I had used. Just a revolving door!!
    perfection and Ianthin like this.

Expensive hobby, guns.
    thechriskarel likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Expensive hobby, guns.
    Compared to what? Think of what people spend on golf?! A day at the salon getting your hair cut/colored (mostly ladies) would cost you as much as a day at the range. You can spend a day at the range for the price of riding around on a Sunday afternoon watching grass grow in the country with the price of gas. As long as you are not obsessed and spending money foolishly with your hobby what is wrong with it being guns any more than banjo lessons?

A family friendly hobby is a healthy habit!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I need to get to the range.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member
    I go to the range weekly or bi-weekly. Not only is it very important to me for training and keeping proficient and used to live fire - but it is MY time. No work, no family, no cell phone - just an hour escape into some quality time with my guns. Its something to look forward to, something I still get excited about - also helps me release stress, take my mind off things, SLOW DOWN and just think about shooting. I'm glad you have found what works for you. For me, range time is extremely important and worth the cost and hassle with ammo - I wouldn't trade it for much.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    ive never been a member at a range, but i guess im lucky i have family farm land to go shooting on. ammo is always a booger, one of those why did i shoot so much, lol. good luck and hope you find what you want to do.
    perfection likes this.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeal View Post
    The money saved on ammo just can't be denied!! The problem with a range membership at least for me was I didn't stop at a few magazines. I would usually fire 75 to 100rds. on each visit, all my fun money was spent in one hour! Then I would search high & low to replace the ammo I had used. Just a revolving door!!
    Why don't you take up reloading. I'm shooting .45 and .40's for about $6.00 a box.

Expensive hobby, guns.
    You should see how expensive racing cars is..

I would much rather shoot at race cars. Do ya have to lead them much??
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Expensive hobby, guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Compared to what? Think of what people spend on golf?! A day at the salon getting your hair cut/colored (mostly ladies) would cost you as much as a day at the range. You can spend a day at the range for the price of riding around on a Sunday afternoon watching grass grow in the country with the price of gas. As long as you are not obsessed and spending money foolishly with your hobby what is wrong with it being guns any more than banjo lessons?

A family friendly hobby is a healthy habit!
    Okay then.....Hobbies sure are expensive!
    GhostMaker likes this.

If it works for you, then do it. I, on the other hand, enjoy my range membership and wouldn't want to give it up. As for saving money, shooting is an expensive hobby, as someone mentioned. That's why I reload. My shooting habits are very simple. I like to shoot often, but I don't shoot very much. I can drop by the range a couple of times a week and pop off a few rounds, just enough to keep me familiar and comfortable with my guns. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links