Able to Obtain my CCW After Completing Diversion Program in Ohio?

This is a discussion on Able to Obtain my CCW After Completing Diversion Program in Ohio? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I was curious for a few things, and I figured that aside from contacting my attorney (who I can't seem to get in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Able to Obtain my CCW After Completing Diversion Program in Ohio?

Able to Obtain my CCW After Completing Diversion Program in Ohio?

Hello all,

I was curious for a few things, and I figured that aside from contacting my attorney (who I can't seem to get in touch with lately), that maybe I could bring some of my concerns to this forum perhaps not for absolute answers, but maybe acquiring a little bit of intuition on my matters.

2 Months ago I had 2 charges of assault brought against me. I am placed on diversion program for the time being. Now albeit, I'm not the "monster" that they made me out to be in the witness statement; I am a 3 year Dean's list pre-medicine student who had too much to drink and allowed things to get away from him.
    Now my question is, is that after I have served my time on diversion, will this affect my ability to get my CCW? I have to tried to snoop around on the internet for some answers, but they're all been futile efforts. I have also completed the class as necessary, but only need to take my self to the sheriff's office to take care of the rest of the matters.

Should I kiss away the hope of getting my carrying license or this a hope upon the horizon?

P.S. I'm in the State of Ohio

Thank you for your time,
    Wing981

2. Remove Ads

If it comes to the point your criminal record is expunged, you may be able to. I'd be more concerned about my medical career now though.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    Reading this, it looks like you have to wait three years:
    http://www.clermontsheriff.org/CCWDisqualifiers.pdf
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I am not an attorney. Your best bet is to get legal advice from an attorney who is a member of the Ohio Bar Association and specifically familiar with laws having to do with firearms ownership and use in Ohio. Therefore the following is not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such: I think if the diversion program results in the dismissal of the charges you're ok. As long as you are charged or under indictment it's a no go. There are a number of crimes for which you will be banned from having a CCW if you pleaded guilty or were found guilty, including a few misdemeanors. You can see all the details on pages 8 and 9 of this document: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/O...a0a294f589.pdf

Per this legal opinion it is not enough to simply have a conviction sealed:
    http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/O...c246196c47.pdf

Best of luck with your case.

I don't know how it works in Ohio so far as gun permit.In S.C.you send in your CCP application,and obviously they do the background checks.After all the checks are done and you pass,the one that has the final say,as to whether you get your CCP or not is the Sheriff of the county you live in.

If that's the case,where you live,and you have to go to the Sheriff's office anyway,what would be the harm in asking the Sheriff,or someone there?
    Just a thought.
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Reading this, it looks like you have to wait three years:
    http://www.clermontsheriff.org/CCWDisqualifiers.pdf
    I agree if he is convicted, but I should think a dismissal would be different. I will say one more time: I am not an attorney, this is not legal advice, do not rely upon anything I say as support for any action you may undertake. The OP really should speak with an attorney.

I went through Ohio (Franklin County) diversion program in 1995 and received my CCW in 2004.

Since then I have held permits in MI and now WI as work has kept me on the move.

You were JUST charged with assault (and it sounds like people got hurt) and you're excuse is "I couldn't hold my liquor and let things get away from me". Give yourself a few years to grow up before you try carrying a gun. Having said that your chances of obtaining a chl really depend on the case disposition after the diversion is complete. If you aren't convicted your chances are good of obtaining a chl. If you end up with an assault conviction though you would have to wait some time and pay an attorney to maybe get your rights restored.
    jem102 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bersa380Fan View Post
    I went through Ohio (Franklin County) diversion program in 1995 and received my CCW in 2004.

Since then I have held permits in MI and now WI as work has kept me on the move.
    Nice handle

VIP Member
    Alcohol and guns don't mix.

Good guys, bad guys, doesn't matter.

If you get out of control to the point of the authorities getting involved after drinking, perhaps a CCW should not be first and foremost on your agenda.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Well as described per my Diversion Officer, this program is set aside specifically for first-time offenders. As was explained to me, Diversion is essentially a slap on the wrist followed up with a get out of jail free card. The M.O. of Diversion is that I won't be "charged" with the assaults but rather they are "pending charges" against me that are dropped, assuming I abide by rules set forth by the Diversion Program itself after the quasi-probationary period is completed.

I do appreciate the notions of needed maturity. I should have been a little more vigilant of myself, an infrequent drinker (once every 1-2 months) when hanging with old friends who are seasoned college drinkers (I've since then decided to abstain from drinking...better safe than sorry).
    buckeyebersa likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Talk with someone that teaches cc classes in your area, you can probably find them through your LGS, and even someone at your LGS might have a better idea than some of us. That is a legal question you are trying to get an answer for and the charges are serious if you get convicted.

What happened with school, have you not learned the Physicians Creed yet? First Do No Harm

Welcome to the forum, congrats on the good grades. Look at it as the Gift it is for that wonderful education. God bless.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

VIP Member
    Here is the guy I call when I have Ohio gun law questions. He is very knowledgeable on topics like yours:
    Barney ? DeBrosse, LLC, Attorneys at Law | Attorneys Columbus, Ohio
    OldMick and Hopyard like this.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 91wm6 View Post
    You were JUST charged with assault (and it sounds like people got hurt) and you're excuse is "I couldn't hold my liquor and let things get away from me". Give yourself a few years to grow up before you try carrying a gun. Having said that your chances of obtaining a chl really depend on the case disposition after the diversion is complete. If you aren't convicted your chances are good of obtaining a chl. If you end up with an assault conviction though you would have to wait some time and pay an attorney to maybe get your rights restored.
    Ask a question, get a lecture.
    Arrow likes this.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links