Sturgis SD Motorcycle Rally

This is a discussion on Sturgis SD Motorcycle Rally within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please chime in with your opinion about conceal carry during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. Should I carry, shouldn't I? My CCW permit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Sturgis SD Motorcycle Rally

Sturgis SD Motorcycle Rally

Please chime in with your opinion about conceal carry during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. Should I carry, shouldn't I? My CCW permit is issued in CO, can I legaly carry in SD? Ill be riding my motorcycle up there so I will also be traveling trough the state of Wyoming. Even though the rally is a total party atmosphere keep in mind I dont drink alcohol. Thanx for your opinions in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just a personal opinion and I am not a motorcyclist but the old adage---"if you have to go somewhere with a firearm---BECAUSE----maybe you should rethink going" It is just me talking and Sturgis means diddle to me, but the adage is a truism, no matter what your priorities are. I am just saying so kindly and am not interested in anyone dissecting my opinion with a treatise on what if and everything else surrounding czechmates thread.
    Dan060 and tcox4freedom like this.

Check here

Handgunlaw.us

But looks like you are good to carry
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

My concern would be with the travel. I would hate to break down and not have it, especially on the bike in the middle of nowhere. You know how those Harleys are. (just kidding, I ride a bmw) If it is legal, take it. Once there, I might lock it up while partaking the festivities.

VIP Member
    You will likely be in the minority of those attending if you don't carry.
    Ghost1958, jbum, stylus and 3 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

oakchas, JDE101, Stoveman and 1 others like this.

Why not? Just obey their laws. You are good in Wyoming and South Dakota. Just don't act like an idiot on and off the bike.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post

Thanks or the levity!
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

I am a rider also, although bikeless at the moment, and I am not interested in drinking either. I intend to carry wherever and whenever legal, I see no reason for you not to. Have fun & stay safe!
    Eagleks, Ghost1958 and JDE101 like this.

VIP Member
    While you are legal to carry while traveling to the rally and carrying in the state the problem will arise with the various bars, clubs, campgrounds and entertainment venues. Many in their ads state that firearms are not allowed.

No firearms signs do not carry the weight of law but I do know that carrying in any venue that derives 51% of revenue from the sale of alcohol you cannot carry and in these businesses the sign does carry the weight of law and you cannot carry which will be most of the places at the rally.

You did not state where you are staying, i.e. hotel, campground and so on but safely securing your firearm if you cannot carry into these locations would be a major concern.
    JDE101 and tcox4freedom like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Just a quick look at handgunlaw.us, it appears your permit is honored by both WY and SD, so that is not an issue. I personally wouldn't be around a bunch of people who will be drinking and acting stupid. Of course being 60+ my idea of a good time may be different than yours.
    84160 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Avoid stupid places and stupid people. Sturgis will be that in spades.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You did not state where you are staying, i.e. hotel, campground and so on but safely securing your firearm if you cannot carry into these locations would be a major concern.[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent Point!!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Sturgis always looked like a great place to drink, pick up chicks, do whatever...but not a good place to carry a gun. Buy me a t-shirt when you get there and send it to me. I'll pay you back later. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    If you can legally carrry at Sturgis, Daytona, Laughton, Laconia, etc., then carry, but do it wisely. If you have been to enough rallys then you should be able to recognize the squids and 1%ers and stay away from them and their activities. If you cant recognize them and stay away from them or feel it necessary to go to that public wet tshirt contest or midnight bike rodeo...well, YOU KNOW WHAT MAY HAPPEN...
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links