SouthNarc's Managing Unknown Contacts

SouthNarc's Managing Unknown Contacts

This is a discussion on SouthNarc's Managing Unknown Contacts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd call Managing Unknown Contacts required reading for anyone who carries. Managing Unknown Contacts: Task Fixation |...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: SouthNarc's Managing Unknown Contacts

  1. #1
    Member Array redsaber75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    256

    SouthNarc's Managing Unknown Contacts

    I'd call Managing Unknown Contacts required reading for anyone who carries.

    Managing Unknown Contacts: Task Fixation |


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,846
    I haven't seen as much from SouthNarc recently as I used to. Glad you posted this. He always has great information.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Array robhic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    594
    Thanks for posting that! I copied it in PDF format to read when I have some time to read it and not be disturbed.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

  4. #4
    Member Array redsaber75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I haven't seen as much from SouthNarc recently as I used to. Glad you posted this. He always has great information.
    He consistently teaches. He hasn't signed in with Paladin Press or Pantaeo Productions which kinda makes him a "hidden gem", even amongst gun forum readers.

  5. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,846
    I knew he was out there teaching. I trained with him a few years ago. But he used to show up, or stuff from him used to show up, in places like Warrior Talk from time to time. Not so much these days.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Array robhic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I haven't seen as much from SouthNarc recently as I used to. Glad you posted this. He always has great information.
    I'm pretty sure I just saw something (from Mas Ayoob, I think ...) saying he had retired and was now using his name and doing "other things" which I guess could be teaching and/or writing. I mean, JUST SAW this within the last week or two.

    EDITED TO ADD: I DID see this in a book! I checked and it's in the current issue of American Handgunner magazine on page 42. In an article by Mas Ayoob explaining the current status of "Southnarc".
    Last edited by robhic; August 3rd, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

  7. #7
    AOK
    AOK is online now
    Member Array AOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    412
    He still has a regular class schedule around the country throughout the year and posts on Total Protection Interactive.

    His MUC material is excellent. While nothing can replace one of his classes he has several great DVD's available coving MUC in depth.

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    2,299
    This "managing unknown contacts" business could quite possibly be the most important and most illusive part of a self defense strategy.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array Pistology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Coast LA Cty
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    This "managing unknown contacts" business could quite possibly be the most important and most illusive part of a self defense strategy.
    Some food for thought. I don't think the topics of awareness and MUC are elusive but simply glossed over or not trained. Any two-day CQ SD course should role play this.
    Anyone who does not appreciate awareness versus task fixation, making eye contact, advantageous non-verbal communication, giving graduated verbal warnings, and, as some experts say, "Walking tall when you're feeling small", should not be carrying. Weapons retention should never come down to a physical struggle for the weapon. One should not walk around with the instrument of one's own murder.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    2,299
    It would do us all well to understand what motivates the self before we attempt to judge the motivation of another. And the circle begins.

    Hey, it's a SouthNarc thread.
    BadgerJ likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,673
    Good stuff.

    I continually tell my wife and kids to keep their heads on a swivel in parking lots, and don't dilly dally, have keys in hand, no BS'ing on the phone, get in and lock doors immediately.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

    M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

  12. #12
    Member Array redsaber75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Some food for thought. I don't think the topics of awareness and MUC are elusive but simply glossed over or not trained. Any two-day CQ SD course should role play this.
    Anyone who does not appreciate awareness versus task fixation, making eye contact, advantageous non-verbal communication, giving graduated verbal warnings, and, as some experts say, "Walking tall when you're feeling small", should not be carrying. Weapons retention should never come down to a physical struggle for the weapon. One should not walk around with the instrument of one's own murder.
    It is definitely glossed over in a lot of classes even though that can be remedied by drawing body language pointers from videos of muggings caught on camera on youtube.

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array NONAME762's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    About 235M out of The Palouse WA
    Posts
    8,627
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Good stuff.

    I continually tell my wife and kids to keep their heads on a swivel in parking lots, and don't dilly dally, have keys in hand, no BS'ing on the phone, get in and lock doors immediately.
    Good advice Oneshot, if they follow it. My keys are out before I get to my truck. Stuff goes in the bed, I'm in the cab and looking to back out. The phone ain't a problem for me. I don't need a stinkin' cell phone.
    molleur likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Good stuff.

    I continually tell my wife and kids to keep their heads on a swivel in parking lots, and don't dilly dally, have keys in hand, no BS'ing on the phone, get in and lock doors immediately.
    But you're missing an important thing. That is not enough. Tell them to always avail themselves of the option to have a store minion help them take their stuff to the car and hang out until they're on their way. They are very glad to do it, especially the elderly, disabled, women or moms with kids. You just can't be aware enough and nobody is attacking someone with a store clerk at their side. If you're alone, young, old, day or night, get them to help you.

    If you're not doing this and you're trying to use SA (which, generally is nonsense) ask yourself "why not?".
    molleur and Rock and Glock like this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    But you're missing an important thing. That is not enough. Tell them to always avail themselves of the option to have a store minion help them take their stuff to the car and hang out until they're on their way. They are very glad to do it, especially the elderly, disabled, women or moms with kids. You just can't be aware enough and nobody is attacking someone with a store clerk at their side. If you're alone, young, old, day or night, get them to help you.

    If you're not doing this and you're trying to use SA (which, generally is nonsense) ask yourself "why not?".
    Most men will not follow this advice; that being said, I take issue with saying that SA is "generally nonsense". If you know what to look for, you can spot criminal attacks developing and stop them or avoid them that way. I have done this more than once (and without even having to draw). With some crooks, just them knowing you are onto them (and not afraid) is enough.
    tdave, blitzburgh and redmc like this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

managing unknown contacts

,
managing unknown contacts pdf
,
managing unknown contacts shivworks
,
shivworks managing unknown contacts
,
south narc
,

southnarc

,
southnarc dvd
,
southnarc managing contacts dvd
,

southnarc managing unknown contacts

,
southnarc managing unknown contacts pdf
,
southnarc pdf
,
southnarc rem for leo
Click on a term to search for related topics.