ND Invalidates Non-Resident Permits Issued to Residents of Some States!!!!!

This is a discussion on ND Invalidates Non-Resident Permits Issued to Residents of Some States!!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NON-RECIPROCAL STATES: The following states do not recognize North Dakota concealed weapons licenses. Therefore, reciprocity is not possible. ATTENTION: Effective August 1, 2013, ND concealed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: ND Invalidates Non-Resident Permits Issued to Residents of Some States!!!!!

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

ND Invalidates Non-Resident Permits Issued to Residents of Some States!!!!!

NON-RECIPROCAL STATES: The following states do not recognize North Dakota concealed weapons licenses. Therefore, reciprocity is not possible. ATTENTION: Effective August 1, 2013, ND concealed weapon licenses issued to residents of non-reciprocal states are invalid.
    State Reason
    California Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    Connecticut Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    Hawaii Does not permit either its own residents or any non-resident to carry a concealed weapon.
    Illinois Does not permit either its own residents or any non-resident to carry a concealed weapon.
    Maryland Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    Massachusetts Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    Minnesota North Dakota law not as stringent as MN law
    New Jersey Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    New York Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    Oregon Does not recognize out of state licenses.
    Rhode Island Does not recognize out of state licenses.

I would believe they would have contacted those who permits that invalidated and let them know but I have seen states do crazier tings. You can view the above listed information on those states and their permits no longer valid on the ND AGs Page Here:
    Reciprocity with Other States
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Seems a bit spiteful, but perfectly understandable.
    Hopyard, ANGLICO and HardLuck682 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    According to US Carry, ND does not recognize the following states CC permits;

California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont.

Of course Vermont does not have permits, it is a constitutional carry state, but what about MS and NV?

And the following states do NOT honor ND CC permits;

California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands. Here MS honors ND permits, but ND does not honor MS?

Were these changed 8/1?

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    They invalidated Non Resident licenses they had issued to residents of those states. If I live in California and had a Non Resident ND License the ND AG is stating it is no longer valid!!!!
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    As always, thanks for keeping us well informed Gary!

Thinking of all the oil boom going on in ND right now, and the huge influx of out of state people (huge economy with < 3% unemployment), this makes sense to me for them to do it. Rash and fast? Yes. But they are dealing with the largest out of state, semi-resident population they have seen since the great westward migration in the 1800s.

Seems like a good way to send a message (to states that could not care less for the most part) and possibly position themselves to issue licenses for those who are now without.

I personally like the fact that CA, MD, IL and other states that make it painful to even get a CC license would be told to go pound sand. Fair is fair.

ND should also state that they do not honor any retired LEO from those states to send a message, though, I'm pretty sure that falls right back into the CC license issue anyways.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    They invalidated Non Resident licenses they had issued to residents of those states. If I live in California and had a Non Resident ND License the ND AG is stating it is no longer valid!!!!

Now that is different. Wow, I wonder what the 'Root Cause' of that decision is?

We have screwy CC laws up here, some of them are not clear and others are unnecessarily restrictive. Politics are weird up here, a mix of conservative and democrat IMHO.

...seems like it was last year, on April 30, NM said they'd no longer honor TX licenses because we allow those in the military to get CHL at 18...

...that morning, as soon as it was out...I called the NM government...but not the gun law dept...the tourism dept...I asked the girl who answered if she was aware that the concealed carry folks had just wasted their entire tourism advertising efforts directed towards TX...she asked what did I mean...

...I told her there was no way that Texans, who love to travel to NM for vacation, were going to take that insult and still spend our money there...she said she was going to talk to her boss right then...later that day, before close of business, the concealed carry guys posted a new letter saying they would honor Tx CHLs...and review their policies...

...phone calls and letters and emails still have an effect...without being hateful and ugly...
    ...money motivates governments...

...all these states with complaints about NM's high-handed attitude COULD get things changed...

...same like TX...if we could get the politicians out of our gunnin'...things'd be a lot better!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 006.9V2.1 View Post
    We have screwy CC laws up here, some of them are not clear and others are unnecessarily restrictive. Politics are weird up here, a mix of conservative and democrat IMHO.

My guess is alot of states are now not accepting non-resident permits if you don't have a permit from your state of "residence".

I've read a bunch where people who are disqualified (for whatever reason) of obtaining a CC permit in their home state, were getting non-resident permits from other states that had reciprocity with their state of residence to circumvent their disqualifications.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 006.9V2.1 View Post
    Politics are weird up here, a mix of conservative and democrat IMHO.
    You mean they don't work together?
    Snub44 likes this.

Part of the Reason

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Now that is different. Wow, I wonder what the 'Root Cause' of that decision is?
    I believe that a big reason is our sibling state to the east, that's right, Minnesota!! From what I understand, about 6 years ago, the ND Attorney General went to MN and asked what they wanted to get recognition going. Well, MN gave him a list of what they wanted. The AG wrote up the law with the Class 1 and Class 2 system, got the legislature to pass it, Governor to sign it. He then turned to MN and said here you go, lets recognize each other. Minnesota said "NO", thus if you visit the ND AG's Reciprocity list, you will see that under the states that don't recognize, "Will not provide reason." is next to MN, the one and only. All other states that touch MN recognize the MN permit, but MN doesn't recognize any of theirs!

Course looking at ND's Class 1, it has some great reciprocity and we will share it with those who wanna play nice! Come on out to ND!
    006.9V2.1 likes this.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

...you've hit it on the head with that last...a lot of tourists are also gun-totin' folks, and a lot of us won't spend our vacation dollars where we're forced to disarm...such petty foolishness between states hurts their tourism income more than they know...
    006.9V2.1 and NavyAirdale like this.

Way to steal from non-residents ND; they took people's money, issued the permits, and now won't recognize them. They should have just stopped issuing permits to residents of those states. I'm with Snubb; when La state police decided to stop honoring all non-resident permits I made calls to the La Senators (state and fed) and state police - it lasted a whole week before the state police changed their minds; guess coon-___es can be a little more hard headed (I'm from there, I can say that).

Hold Your Horses!

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Way to steal from non-residents ND; they took people's money, issued the permits, and now won't recognize them. They should have just stopped issuing permits to residents of those states. I'm with Snubb; when La state police decided to stop honoring all non-resident permits I made calls to the La Senators (state and fed) and state police - it lasted a whole week before the state police changed their minds; guess coon-___es can be a little more hard headed (I'm from there, I can say that).
    If you are from the state of MO or KS, your ND permit is still valid! States that DO NOT have reciprocity with ND are invalid, for example if you are from MN, CA, OR, HI, IL, NJ, NY, RI, MD, MA or CT and you have a ND permit it is invalid! It is kinda goofy but that is how it works. It took a bit before all us instructors understood how it worked.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links