What to do if you are involved in a traffic stop while CCing

This is a discussion on What to do if you are involved in a traffic stop while CCing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the chance to ask a member of the Pa. state police this question, I asked her, "if I'm CCing and get pulled over, ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: What to do if you are involved in a traffic stop while CCing

What to do if you are involved in a traffic stop while CCing

I had the chance to ask a member of the Pa. state police this question, I asked her, "if I'm CCing and get pulled over, what is the preferred method to let the officer know you are CCing?" She said let the LEO know first off that you are CCIng, that you have a permit and where the firearm is, glove box your person etc. Granted this is what a Pa. State Police officers advice is but I'm sure it would apply elsewhere too.

2. Remove Ads

Refer to the statute in your state. It will explain what is required of you during a formal contact with a police officer.

Some states require disclosure, some do not.

I'm sure all of them would like to know, but unless it has to do something with you carrying, it's none of their business.
    Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby---Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Guaranteed Worldwide Delivery in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman II--- SAC WILL BE BACK!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

...in Tx, where we have to disclose if we're carrying when they ask for ID, I have both my dr. lic. and CHL in my hand...both hands visible, and simply hand them to him before he even asks(on a traffic stop)...
    ...I've fulfilled the law without alarming him, and he already sees I'm non-threatening, not hiding anything, and cooperative...don't have to say a word that might be taken the wrong way...just hand them over...

VIP Member
    Pennsylvania is not a must inform state. It is one thing to ask an officer's opinion, but quite another to accept it as legal fact. If I am required by law to inform, I do. If not, it depends.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL is a "no-notice" state. My personal action will be to not notify unless asked to exit the vehicle (and I've never been asked to do that). Only then will I advise the LEO I'm carrying. What happens from there is up to him. In other states, rather than try to memorize which is notify or not, I will simply notify. But first I have to give them a reason for the stop.
    Goat_Guy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    You mean telling them, "My guns bigger than yours!" ,isn't the proper way to let them know your carrying?

Only time I've ever been stopped carrying was in Virginia. No duty to inform, however I do. I tell them I have a permit and am carrying. The rest of the conversation depends on their response.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Kansas is a need not inform state. That being said...Here's what I would do.
    Get lit up
    Curse the world
    Pull over in a safe spot
    Shut off engine
    Roll down window
    Hang both hands out said window
    Greet the officer in a friendly manner
    After he or she asks for my information I will politely and calmly tell them I am permitted to carry and I am currently doing so (I will not say "gun")
    I will then inform them where it is and where my information is and ask them how they want me to proceed (my EDC is on my right hip, my wallet is in right front pocket)
    If they are comfortable I will retrieve my wallet and present information
    Once they come back and give me my warning I will politely thank them and wish them a nice day
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    My mind set is I always inform the reason is that I travel to states that require me to inform and states that do not. My state does not require me to inform but if I get into the habit it is one less thing I need to think about while carrying in a state that does require to inform. YMMV
    joker1 likes this.

VIP Member
    In Georgia there is no requirement to inform. So for me, there's no need to introduce this fact. If the officer gives me a ticket or a warning, so be it. No need to tell him or her that I am carrying if I'm just going to sit in my car. Keep it simple for them and me.
    Hodad and 9MMare like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Kansas is a need not inform state. That being said...Here's what I would do.
    Hang both hands out said window
    Why in the world would you assume the position for a felony stop for a simple traffic stop? I'm not even lowering the window until he approaches, it's too dang hot.

Any LEOs so paranoid that they feel everyone must hang hands out the window for any stop should look for a less stressful line of work.
    NONAME762, Goat_Guy and BadgerJ like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

FL has no duty to inform, but on the occasional stop I always did inform anyway...no more.

About a year ago, my wife and I were sitting at a light...we got rear ended. The idiot who hit me totaled her car, $4K damage to my truck.
    A young female officer was the first to respond, followed by an older 'grumpy' Sargent. As she was addressing my original statement, I informed her that I was a 'legally armed Floridian', the Sargent with her, took over. He cut her off in the middle of her questions and demanded my weapon, emptied it and 'demanded' that i put it in my glove box...for everyone's safety. He was not friendly, and I felt like I was being punished...why did I need a weapon in the first place?

Within a couple of minutes, he left the scene and the young female officer again took over to make the accident report. I told her that I had just learned a valuable lesson, I said, "In a state (FL) where there was no duty to inform, I will never again (under similar circumstances) inform a police officer that I am armed." She replied, "I completely understand what you're saying. I am sorry that he treated you that way, I would not have acted like that."

From that interaction, my decision to immediately inform LEO's about my weapon without a duty to do so, has changed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...last time I checked, it was ok to be nice...even if you don't have to be...

...or not...but nobody said the LEO expected it...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Why in the world would you assume the position for a felony stop for a simple traffic stop? I'm not even lowering the window until he approaches, it's too dang hot.

Any LEOs so paranoid that they feel everyone must hang hands out the window for any stop should look for a less stressful line of work.
    shadowwalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Refer to the statute in your state. It will explain what is required of you during a formal contact with a police officer.

Some states require disclosure, some do not.

I'm sure all of them would like to know, but unless it has to do something with you carrying, it's none of their business.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

Laws vary from state to state and it is imperative that you know the laws in your state, lest you risk legal troubles for lack of knowledge. Personally, if it has no impact and I am not required to do so, I see no need to divulge my carry status. However, if asked, I will tell them, even if i dont have to.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Here's what you do. Roll down the window, and when they get about 4 steps away yell as loudly as you can, "I've got a gun!!!"

You can explain that you have a permit later... maybe.

In all seriousness, I will not inform if I don't have to, unless I am OCing.
    Zralou and 9MMare like this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I too travel between states that have varying laws; I comply with the strictest of each state I frequent, no matter which one I'm in. That way, I can be sure that I won't slip up.
    jbum likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links