How often do you put your gun away because of a no carry situation?

This is a discussion on How often do you put your gun away because of a no carry situation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night on my way home from work I had to pick up a pizza for dinner. As I pulled up, I realized that I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How often do you put your gun away because of a no carry situation?

Last night on my way home from work I had to pick up a pizza for dinner. As I pulled up, I realized that I did not call ahead. So I decided to lock up the gun in a nano-vault 200 and have a beer while I wait for my Pizza. I will stop into a place and have a beer with dinner or friends once or twice a week. In MI, 0.01 is the legal limit if you are going to carry... which for most people is less than a beer.

Every Sunday morning and several Saturday's a month I have to lock up the gun to go into church for Mass or bible study. I also love hockey and I know that I can not carry into the local arena here... but I am still going to go.

However, most of the other pistol free zones I avoid. It will get interesting this fall when my oldest starts preschool since I can carry in the car while picking him up, but I cannot carry into the school.

What about you. Do frequently leave your gun at home or in a lock box because you are go to a PFZ or into a no-no scenario?

If I know my activities will take me to a GFZ then I just leave my gun at home. This is rare, however, as the only GFZs I regularly enter are work or the post office and they are generally the only place I will go to on that trip or close enough to my home I can just return for my gun.

While armed, I will avoid a GFZ. I am not comfortable leaving my firearm anywhere other than on my hip or in the safe.
    wdbailey likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I can't carry while at work so my pistol is locked up in a lockbox in my truck almost everyday. Have thought about just leaving it at home, but I would hate for something to go down on the way to or from work and not have it. I know the odds are very very low but someone has to make up the statistics right?

...my three sons' graduations, jury duty, posted hospitals, and paying the water bill in person monthly...the office is shared with the courts...that's it...and for the water bill, I leave them in the car...it's also the police station...so far, it's been fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Last night on my way home from work I had to pick up a pizza for dinner. As I pulled up, I realized that I did not call ahead. So I decided to lock up the gun in a nano-vault 200 and have a beer while I wait for my Pizza. I will stop into a place and have a beer with dinner or friends once or twice a week. In MI, 0.01 is the legal limit if you are going to carry... which for most people is less than a beer.

Every Sunday morning and several Saturday's a month I have to lock up the gun to go into church for Mass or bible study. I also love hockey and I know that I can not carry into the local arena here... but I am still going to go.

However, most of the other pistol free zones I avoid. It will get interesting this fall when my oldest starts preschool since I can carry in the car while picking him up, but I cannot carry into the school.

What about you. Do frequently leave your gun at home or in a lock box because you are go to a PFZ or into a no-no scenario?

i carry when its legal, if its not legal i carry what it, i.e. knife, dirty underwear, offensive pictures of squirrles battleing in little suits of armor.
    Kennydale likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Actaully MJ if you have a CPL in Michigan you can OC in a school. Little know and hushed up fact. You may receive some unwanted attention but it's legal.

Myself if I know I am going out to have a drink the EDC doesn't come out of house. Going to work its the same since we can't have firearms on the property. Otherwise I have mine with me even if I am going to a PFZ. I will lock it in the vehicle while I am in the PFZ and rearm upon my return.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    It happens.
    The easy way is always mined.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I go in a place sometimes where you can't carry,it's not often.We go in places that serves alcohol,to eat once in a while,so i leave mine in the car.

I went into a whole lot of places before i was old enough to get my CCP,and i survived obviously.I don't make it a habit.It's not that big of a deal to me.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Yes...gun in lock box to enter GFZ's when necessary or I just want to visit that establishment. As the other poster stated...no big deal for me...however...I still would not consume booze while I have my weapon even if locked in the box in the vehicle. The law here is ambiguous enough that LEO if wanted to could make an issue of it....Here, if you have a CCL and you have your weapon in the vehicle no matter where it is you could still be considered carrying....and with booze breath may not be a good idea. Not to say that an officer would make an issue of it if it is locked up.....but could......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Haha...mental image of the...um...image you have of the squirrels.

I always leave my gun at home.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

More often than I would like.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

I'm in Michigan too and honestly I don't really let GFZ's bother me. If I have to go there I lock my gun up and go. Even without a gun I've survived almost 40 years. Now that I'm carrying I just look at it as upping my odds.

What I will NOT do is go into a gun free establishment is shadier sides of town like Detroit, Southfield or Pontiac. I'd rather avoid GFZ's there because the likelihood of getting trouble in those neighborhoods is a lot higher.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Occasionally, but only after I assess the situation I am stepping into and determine the chances are slim to none that I will need it.

Of course, it only takes one time of guessing wrong and you might be toast.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by mnmbrewing View Post
    Actaully MJ if you have a CPL in Michigan you can OC in a school. Little know and hushed up fact. You may receive some unwanted attention but it's legal.

Myself if I know I am going out to have a drink the EDC doesn't come out of house. Going to work its the same since we can't have firearms on the property. Otherwise I have mine with me even if I am going to a PFZ. I will lock it in the vehicle while I am in the PFZ and rearm upon my return.
    In Michigan if you have a CPL you can literally open carry ANYWHERE (registered handguns only). But you have to be on top of your game because most of the uninitiated will probably call cops on you or take issue with openly visible pistols in schools, churches, post offices and etc. the hassle is a bit too much and I'm not an OC fan.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links