Ruger SR Series Safetly on or off?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR Series Safetly on or off? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Ruger SR40C which I plan to use as an alternate carry gun to my 3" Kimber 1911. Since it has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger SR Series Safetly on or off?

Ruger SR Series Safetly on or off?

I just picked up a Ruger SR40C which I plan to use as an alternate carry gun to my 3" Kimber 1911. Since it has a trigger safety if that is what you call it I figure with the safety off it operates just like a Glock or other similar weapon. I am very used to the thumb safety on my 1911's pretty much an
    automatic thing to flick off after I clear the holster I don't think I would have any trouble doing the same with this gun. Except the safety lever is much smaller and I am somewhat concerned that in a defensive scenario where my fine motor skills are affected I may miss the safety as I slide my thumb across it. Since I just picked this gun up I have to put a couple hundred rounds through it before I would carry it and I expect I may figure out whether this is really a concern or not I was just wonder what others who are already carrying do. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the SR40C...... now go strip it, dis assemble the slide and clean out all the gunk.... mine was packed solid with lube in the firing pin channel.

As far as the safety goes, I use a "side swipe" method on mine... Using the side of my thumb, not the pad, I swipe striaght down the side of the slide and disengage the safety. It seems small, but it is actually well sized for this method and it works very well. AS far as on or off.... it is your preference. I usually leave mine off as my other weapons have no safety so I am used to i
    . If you are used to a safety...it should be quick leqrning for you. Also, you may want to consider removing the mag safety, it is generally considered to be a possible cause of light strikes by causing drag on the firing pin as it passes through the safety itself. There are several you tube videos on how to do this and it took me ten minutes.
    Kennydale likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

For this particular weapon, I think the use of a safety might be a good idea. The reason is that, from what I've read (and my few dry-fires of an SR9c seemed to confirm), the trigger has a very short travel. The trigger safety and trigger pull are similar to a Glock or M&P, but are made less effective by the short travel. For instance, if something were to get in front of the trigger while holstering, you'd likely start to feel the "mushy" part of the travel of those other triggers as you pushed, before pushing hard enough to reach the break. With the SR's, you don't get that; the gun wouldn't move until it fired.

Some folks will say that this occurrence would only result from negligence, and for the most part I agree, but people make mistakes and equipment (including holsters) can fail. It's up to you to decide whether the risk of getting into a defense situation and failing to disengage the safety is greater than the risk of accidentally pulling the trigger in routine handling. I tend to think the latter is much more likely.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I would not carry my sr40c with the safety off. My sr40c has a light trigger and it would be to easy to fire without the safety. I swipe the safety off on my draw. It's just a matter of training yourself to do.

I've shot an SR9 several times, and if I were to carry one I would only flip the safety on when un/holstering, then back off once it's secured in a holster. It's small and stiff enough that I would fear my thumb would slip when I didn't need it to. With that said, I carry a Sig p938 regularly and have no worries about flicking the safety off on it.

My opinion on weapons with safeties:

If it has a safety - use it. Practice disengaging it. It's there.

Don't get in the habit of not using it and not disengaging it, because if you do, Murphy's law says that the one time you need it to save your life, the safety will make its way to the "on" position and your little trigger will go "click". However, if you practice disengaging, you can't go wrong. If it's off, your thumb moves for nothing. If it's on, your thumb moves to disengage.

If your gun doesn't have a safety, cool. If it does, use it, and practice disengaging it.
    Snub44, Ksgunner and 006.9V2.1 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    My opinion on weapons with safeties:

If it has a safety - use it. Practice disengaging it. It's there.

Don't get in the habit of not using it and not disengaging it, because if you do, Murphy's law says that the one time you need it to save your life, the safety will make its way to the "on" position and your little trigger will go "click". However, if you practice disengaging, you can't go wrong. If it's off, your thumb moves for nothing. If it's on, your thumb moves to disengage.

If your gun doesn't have a safety, cool. If it does, use it, and practice disengaging it.
    I'm inclined to agree with you Pittypat. I had been thinking that engaging the safety while holstering would be a good idea then maybe switching it off after it is
    in holster. You are right though that it could end up being left on or somehow bump it on then when I need it no bang. I will focus my practice in function checking
    of this gun on using the safety at all times. Hope I can get it out soon.

Thanks for the opinions.

My .40 Shield has a smaller safety than the P-238 but with just a little practice it doesn't make any difference now. By the time you break your new gun in, you will have the safety thing figured.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

The problem with carry guns with safeties and carrying with a manual/thumb safety disengaged is if the safety gets bumped on during the day and you draw expecting the safety to be off by the time you figure out why the gun won't go bang you could be VERY DEAD
    006.9V2.1 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have found that on my SR40C that is holstered in a 3 Speed Holster (It is covered in a leather LIKE material. The trigger is fully protected. ) When my 8 month old grandson climbs all over me, the safety sometimes gets jostled into the hot position.. I have gotten into the habit of quickly feeling it through my clothes (I wear it in appendix carry) to double check that it is engaged.

Not sure how it compares to the SR9/40's, but I prefer my wife's SR22 safety off. Just one less thing to worry about in a pinch, but ymmv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

I carry mine safety off simply because my rotation consists of it and an XD safety off gives me somewhat consistent drills between the two, I'd say whatever you decide decide it and stick to it, also please remove the magazine safety for your own sake

Thumb swipe down for me is pretty easy, Sr9c and P938 are the only 2 I carry

Sometimes I carry the SR9c, and the trigger is so light that the safety seems like a good idea.

A range officer asked to try it, and I let him, and after shooting a string he said, "Did this gun have a trigger job?"

it's really that light and smooth - one of the reasons I got the SR9c. One of the best triggers out of the box you can buy.

Another good point is that the safety is extremely deliberate. No question if it's on or off - you get a very firm and tactile "click" when moving it to either position. This applies to carry. If in the HD situation, then safety off. Grab it and go.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I've had my SR40 since 2011 and shoot quite abit of IDPA matches with it as well as daily-carry.....the thumb swipe mentioned above works great and is the method I prefer as well.
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links