Wife's Range practice report

This is a discussion on Wife's Range practice report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm gonna start this post by saying that my wife is not the most gun savvy woman in the world. She's what we call a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Wife's Range practice report

Wife's Range practice report

I'm gonna start this post by saying that my wife is not the most gun savvy woman in the world. She's what we call a "natural blonde" LOL But I love her. Today we went to the shooting range as I finally got her some CCI ammo and she wanted to go shooting. She has made amazing strides, and believe me its been difficult. I instruct weapons in the Marine Corps but she has definitely been a challenge. She wanted to do it just for fun at first, now she's serious. If you tried any kind of instructing with her, she immediately lost interest. Then after about her first 25 rounds I discovered she's left eye dominant and shoots right handed. Then her ISSC M22 jams on anything not CCI. It's been a whirlwind. And since I forgot my key to my gun box at the house, I sat back and enjoyed watching her shoot today. Biggest pride moment for me was watching her identify a stovepipe, put the weapon on safe, eject the magazine and clear the obstruction. Call me an old romantic and sentimental but it was great lol. She keeps making me promise to get her something bigger once she tightens her groups up. I just nod and agree cause little does she know but she's getting an M&P15 Sport at the end of August.

All of her shooting was about 7-10 yds as I told her this is likely the distance should she ever need to use her gun. Attached is her target. Everything was a little left of center but she didn't miss a single round out of the entire brick, so you can definitely say I'm proud of her!!

970488_676409889041550_1540975307_n.jpg

-Kyle
    darbo, Stoveman and Aceoky like this.

2. Remove Ads

...you can leave home knowing she won't be having any unwanted company...good shooting...and being patient pays off...
    ...I remember 44 years later our range instructor...taught me the love of a good rifle...then we got to ITR and they gave us the Matty Mattel rifle...I felt robbed...

...that Ruger SP101 in .22 would be a dream...and not picky about ammo or likely to malfunction...if you get a chance, take a look...
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Looks like you'll be taking out the trash the first time she asks from now on.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    It has been my experience that, NEW, female shooters tend to shoot MUCH better than, NEW, male, shooters. I do believe it is a "testerone thing", in that males simply feel as if they have something to prove, where as, females don't feel that way. Males need to prove that they are a "MALES". I think that the problem is, we have too many MALES and not enough MEN.

Good for you and your wife. Keep up the good work. Let her move at her own pace. If she starts shooting better than you, be proud and not jealous. Learn from each other.
    Stoveman likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...you can leave home knowing she won't be having any unwanted company...good shooting...and being patient pays off...
    ...I remember 44 years later our range instructor...taught me the love of a good rifle...then we got to ITR and they gave us the Matty Mattel rifle...I felt robbed...

...that Ruger SP101 in .22 would be a dream...and not picky about ammo or likely to malfunction...if you get a chance, take a look...
    I know it was terrible to exchange a rifle for that.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post

The Ruger SP101 in .22 has a trigger pull like bending rebar. Man that thing is hard to pull.

If you want a .22 revolver with a trigger that's a dream to shoot, get an used Pinned barrel S&W Model 17. My wife has a 6" barrel 17-2 that's a complete dream to shoot. She loves that revolver. She loves her 6" 686 too, but she always brings the 17 when we go to the range.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Everything was a little left of center
    That must be a right-handed, left eye dominant thing, I do exactly the same. I've adjusted the rear sight on my Glock to compensate for it.

Sara Lou
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

The typical blonde thing is about what I'm going to be experiencing as I start working with my wife on her new Shield. I'm excited, but think there is going to be some work involved. But will be completely worth it!

Very nice! Many blessings to you both.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    That must be a right-handed, left eye dominant thing, I do exactly the same. I've adjusted the rear sight on my Glock to compensate for it.

Sara Lou
    Thanks Sara. I never considered that. I'll have to research if her M22 is adjustable rear sights

Quote Originally Posted by 04gixx6 View Post
    The typical blonde thing is about what I'm going to be experiencing as I start working with my wife on her new Shield. I'm excited, but think there is going to be some work involved. But will be completely worth it!
    Its fun. She shoots my MP40 each time we go. Maybe about 10-15 rds and she's surprisingly a good shot with it. If I can convince her to get a CCW, I'd like to get her a compact 9. Maybe the shield...

Thanks Sara. I never considered that. I'll have to research if her M22 is adjustable rear sights
    From a quick google search, it looks like you're probably not going to be able to adjust those sights yourself (not easily, anyway). A good gunsmith could do it for you just fine I'm sure. Or ask Zralou how she did it with her glock, if she didn't go to a gunsmith. The sights can definitely be moved, though.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Its fun. She shoots my MP40 each time we go. Maybe about 10-15 rds and she's surprisingly a good shot with it. If I can convince her to get a CCW, I'd like to get her a compact 9. Maybe the shield...
    I've shot the shield before (as well as other M&Ps). Great gun. I think it'd be a great choice. Though, as a personal preferences, I wouldn't get a defensive gun with a safety. But that's just what I prefer.

ETA:

Oh yeah, Semper Fi!

Glad to see the wife's are shooting! Just be patient and go slow!
    This summer I have got my wife to the range and shooting. Mostly 22LR with my G26 once in awhile. She has done good!!
    I have been emphasizing safety a lot.

My wife is also a Marine. It didn't take much (or any) of a push to get her towards shooting.

Thank goodness...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links