Florida Protesters Get Their SYG Hearings

This is a discussion on Florida Protesters Get Their SYG Hearings within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hearings are a long way from legislation, but still... Florida lawmakers agree to hearings on 'Stand Your Ground' law...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Florida Protesters Get Their SYG Hearings

VIP Member

Hearings are a long way from legislation, but still...
    Florida lawmakers agree to hearings on 'Stand Your Ground' law
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

mkh
    There is nothing wrong with our stand your ground law.

Fix the courts and legal system instead so that it is correctly and fairly applied .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    There is nothing wrong with our stand your ground law.

Fix the courts and legal system instead so that it is correctly and fairly applied .
    I would still like to see evidence compelling a conclusion that it is being incorrectly and unfairly applied.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Just this morning on the news Mark O'Meara, Zimmerman's lawyer, is saying he would meet and work with Trayvon's Mom on changing the SYG laws in Florida.

Let's modify SYG in this manner. Make it the law in all fifty states. If some one gets killed committing a violent crime, may urine be cast upon them. I don't care what color they are.
    NONAME762 likes this.

The Florida Speaker of the House got scared and told the pertinent committee chairman to hold hearings on SYG. That chairman has already said will not make changes, hope he holds to that. I don't believe, I hope, our GOP controlled legislature will allow any changes. There was already a state mandated bipartisan panel which voted, I believe along partisan lines, that the law needed no changes.

ridiculous.

FLA just got done with a fairly comprehensive review of SYG, did they not? And the recommendation was, no changes were warranted.

Can't imagine a few screaming citizens creates justification. At best, without rationale, it merely creates a smoke screen.

SYG in FLA: You still have to justifiably have cause to defend with force, though you have a right to defend at anyplace you have every right to be. It's not as though that's an alien concept. It's just simple and straightforward in its application. IIRC, the evaluation group on FLA's SYG has found that before, that it's far more beneficial than the few instances of misuse by some felons.
    sanfordreed likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

How can these people sit in the capital building for a month straight, don't they have bills and obligations to take care of ?

These people who are blaming SYG and calling it racially charged are so off base. We need to show our support for SYG !

Time to start making phone calls and writing letters. I am also going to inquire about being present and speaking at the hearing, if the intent is to hear citizens express their opinions.
    Darrow75 and Aceoky like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    How can these people sit in the capital building for a month straight, don't they have bills and obligations to take care of ?
    Set up a non-profit, secure well-heeled funding, and let it happen. You think those Newtown people were paying for those motels and plane rides on Air Force One?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Summary ---- Florida, considered the most gun friendly state, is 'on the road' to repealing 'Stand your Ground' laws.

Snippets ---- MIAMI (Reuters) - Florida lawmakers will hold hearings this fall on the state's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law, which has become a lightning rod for criticism following the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin.

President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder, have all said the Stand Your Ground law needs to be re-examined.

"Across Florida, representatives are receiving calls, letters, visits and emails from constituents with diverse opinions on 'Stand Your Ground,'" Weatherford said. "Passions are high, but every person has the right to express their views on this matter of great importance."

Two of the six jurors in the Zimmerman case have said the Stand Your Ground law left them with no option but to acquit him.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Just this morning on the news Mark O'Meara, Zimmerman's lawyer, is saying he would meet and work with Trayvon's Mom on changing the SYG laws in Florida.

The laws are fine..... Mark O'mara is 'One hell of an advocate' .... He is pitching on both teams .... He should be a politician
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Time to start making phone calls and writing letters. I am also going to inquire about being present and speaking at the hearing, if the intent is to hear citizens express their opinions.
    We need to all get together in front of the news agency buildings on one of these weekends and be seen. The more the better. There are a Ton of people who support SYG in Tampa bay alone.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I would still like to see evidence compelling a conclusion that it is being incorrectly and unfairly applied.
    Tampa Bay Times did a fairly exhaustive study on this and have provided more than enough compelling evidence to support the erratic application of the law. That's the problem, the law has not been unilaterally interpreted and applied and has created a chasm of uncertainty around it's viability.

Here's a link to one of the TBT articles
    shooterX likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links