Pennsylvania / Tennessee Sign Reciprocity Agreement

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania / Tennessee Sign Reciprocity Agreement within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pennslyvania Attorney General has announced that PA and TN have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. Tennessee already honors all other states permits. This brings to 12 ...

Thread: Pennsylvania / Tennessee Sign Reciprocity Agreement

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Pennsylvania / Tennessee Sign Reciprocity Agreement

Pennslyvania Attorney General has announced that PA and TN have signed a Reciprocity Agreement. Tennessee already honors all other states permits. This brings to 12 the number of states Pennsylvania has signed with. This info will be added to Handgunlaw.us in the next 24 hours.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent news Gary and once again - thx for the speedy heads up
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

31 states with Tennessee permit now...

I just went to www.handgunlaw.us and looked at the Tennessee information. With the addition of Pennsylvania, a person holding a Tennessee CCW permit can now carry in 31 states, by my count. This puts the TN permit in the same league with Florida, Utah, North Carolina, etc. in terms of number of states honoring it.

Of course, you have to be a TN resident to obtain the permit.

VIP Member
    Outstanding news! Thanks, Gary!

No Complaint Here...

but I really don't get the need to rack up all the different state permits that many people try to get.
    I'm licensed in my state...most states only recognize a 'resident's' permit...I'm not a world traveler...trying to keep track of an individual state's gun laws is a pain anyway...
    Why the need to have 48 permits so I can carry in the 'six'(?) states I sometimes visit on the way to see a relative in Michigan?

Like Tom Hanks in the movie, Big..."I don't get it!"

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I just went to www.handgunlaw.us and looked at the Tennessee information. With the addition of Pennsylvania, a person holding a Tennessee CCW permit can now carry in 31 states, by my count. This puts the TN permit in the same league with Florida, Utah, North Carolina, etc. in terms of number of states honoring it.

Of course, you have to be a TN resident to obtain the permit.
    My experience with this issue is that some states are more proactive in promoting their permit with other states (who could recognize their permit) while others wait to be contacted. My state is a great example. Missouri implemented CCW in 2003 and almost immediately, the MO permit was accepted in 20 other states. Most of these states were like ours (we recognize all permits automatically by law whether or not another state recognizes ours in return). Those twenty other states pretty much did all the work and simply decided we were OK. No formal agreements...they just put us on their list.

In May 2006, a few of us tried to "encourage" our Attorney General to communicate with his peers in other states we knew could accept a Missouri permit. The response from him was zip, nada, nothing...not even a return phone call , email or letter even acknowledging our issue or our communications. We did all the work for the AG citing each potential state's statute where reciprocity was possible. Again...nothing. Keep in mind, the MO AG is not exactly known for being "pro-gun" or pro 2A. He would prefer to avoid having any opinion much less taking any action. He is, however the likely Democratic candidate for Governor in 2008 and he does know it's not wise to have all of the "pro-gun" folks in MO upset with you.

So, we began communicating by letter directly with these other states via their AG's and/or Governors (citing their statutes and ours about reciprocity). We actually got letters in return from all of them saying "we're looking into it". I found out what that meant when all of a sudden the MO AG's office assigned an Assistant AG to work on every state where reciprocity was possible. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the MO AG office when letters and phone calls started to roll in from those other states. I can almost guess how those conversations went...Why are MO citizens writing letters to us instead of you?

Once that started to happen, we added nine (9) states to the MO reciprocity list in less than four (4) months bringing us to 30. Georgia led that parade and announced reciprocity with MO. I don't think they even waited for the MO AG to do anything (I could be wrong on that point) but simply verified the material in our letter as factual. NOW, we now have a friend in the MO AG's office and an AG that realizes it's not real good political strategy to ignore your own citizens...especially when they won't give up and will go around you if necessary (and it was).

Fuuny thing...after it was all said and done, the MO AG sent out a letter to all FFLs in the state as well as other key "gun" people saying "look what I did". Even put up a spiffy website addition to his site about MO CCW and reciprocity http://www.ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weap...y-Missouri.htm . I seem to remember that was "suggested" to him by the very same people...how coincidental.

Oh well, if that's the price that had to be paid for adding nine (9) states, it was worth letting him take all the credit and, in truth, after the ball started to roll our Assistant AG did a fantastic job.

Lesson Learned? If you want something done and you can't get the cooperation of an elected official to make it happen, do it yourself and do it in a way that makes it appealing for the elected official to "join in". They will have no problem taking the credit.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by realtor View Post
    My experience with this issue is that some states are more proactive in promoting their permit with other states (who could recognize their permit) while others wait to be contacted. My state is a great example. Missouri implemented CCW in 2003 and almost immediately, the MO permit was accepted in 20 other states. Most of these states were like ours (we recognize all permits automatically by law whether or not another state recognizes ours in return). Those twenty other states pretty much did all the work and simply decided we were OK. No formal agreements...they just put us on their list.

In May 2006, a few of us tried to "encourage" our Attorney General to communicate with his peers in other states we knew could accept a Missouri permit. The response from him was zip, nada, nothing...not even a return phone call , email or letter even acknowledging our issue or our communications. We did all the work for the AG citing each potential state's statute where reciprocity was possible. Again...nothing. Keep in mind, the MO AG is not exactly known for being "pro-gun" or pro 2A. He would prefer to avoid having any opinion much less taking any action. He is, however the likely Democratic candidate for Governor in 2008 and he does know it's not wise to have all of the "pro-gun" folks in MO upset with you.

So, we began communicating by letter directly with these other states via their AG's and/or Governors (citing their statutes and ours about reciprocity). We actually got letters in return from all of them saying "we're looking into it". I found out what that meant when all of a sudden the MO AG's office assigned an Assistant AG to work on every state where reciprocity was possible. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the MO AG office when letters and phone calls started to roll in from those other states. I can almost guess how those conversations went...Why are MO citizens writing letters to us instead of you?

Once that started to happen, we added nine (9) states to the MO reciprocity list in less than four (4) months bringing us to 30. Georgia led that parade and announced reciprocity with MO. I don't think they even waited for the MO AG to do anything (I could be wrong on that point) but simply verified the material in our letter as factual. NOW, we now have a friend in the MO AG's office and an AG that realizes it's not real good political strategy to ignore your own citizens...especially when they won't give up and will go around you if necessary (and it was).

Fuuny thing...after it was all said and done, the MO AG sent out a letter to all FFLs in the state as well as other key "gun" people saying "look what I did". Even put up a spiffy website addition to his site about MO CCW and reciprocity http://www.ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weap...y-Missouri.htm . I seem to remember that was "suggested" to him by the very same people...how coincidental.

Oh well, if that's the price that had to be paid for adding nine (9) states, it was worth letting him take all the credit and, in truth, after the ball started to roll our Assistant AG did a fantastic job.

Lesson Learned? If you want something done and you can't get the cooperation of an elected official to make it happen, do it yourself and do it in a way that makes it appealing for the elected official to "join in". They will have no problem taking the credit.
    That's a little encouragement and direction to try to get my homestate of WV off their butts and/or work around them to gain reciprocity with more than just KY and VA - that just simply doesn't cut it, especially when FL seems interested in an agreement with us:

http://jimmullins.blogspot.com/2006/...rom-other.html

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! We've got to do better than this!

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Quote Originally Posted by ccWV View Post
    That's a little encouragement and direction to try to get my homestate of WV off their butts and/or work around them to gain reciprocity with more than just KY and VA - that just simply doesn't cut it, especially when FL seems interested in an agreement with us:

http://jimmullins.blogspot.com/2006/...rom-other.html

GOOD GRIEF!!!!! We've got to do better than this!

ccWV
    We tried to get West Virginia and it's through your Governor's office. The response our AG got back was neither yes or no but, apparently something like we're kinda re-thinking the whole process...don't call us, we'll call you. Come to think about it, I need to correct my earlier post. West Virginia was the only state I wrote to that never sent me any response.

Why I like to see this...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    but I really don't get the need to rack up all the different state permits that many people try to get.
    I'm licensed in my state...most states only recognize a 'resident's' permit...I'm not a world traveler...trying to keep track of an individual state's gun laws is a pain anyway...
    I think that most people here would agree that the ideal situation would be for every state CCW permit to be recognized in every other state. Just as your driver's license is good in all 50 states, so should your CCW permit be good everywhere.

So when a state adds another state to its CCW recognition or reciprocity, it represents a small step closer to the ideal of nationwide recognition. I am always glad to see these steps take place, even if it doesn't benefit me personally, because it represents progress.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I think that most people here would agree that the ideal situation would be for every state CCW permit to be recognized in every other state. Just as your driver's license is good in all 50 states, so should your CCW permit be good everywhere.

So when a state adds another state to its CCW recognition or reciprocity, it represents a small step closer to the ideal of nationwide recognition. I am always glad to see these steps take place, even if it doesn't benefit me personally, because it represents progress.
    Much agreed, pogo2!

I'm always excited to hear about new acceptance by ANY state of ANY other state - I think it helps put just that much more pressure on the slow states (like WV!) to move forward with the rest of the nation. Progress for one is progress for all in the grand scheme of things!

ccWV
    The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, . . . that it is their RIGHT AND DUTY TO BE AT ALL TIMES ARMED . . . Thomas Jefferson (June 5, 1824)

Good news! Although the struggle to keep the general public well informed on 2nd Amendment rights rests on our shoulders, it is great to read where states take positive steps towards further reciprocity.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Links