Have you ever been outed by your kid? I have.

This is a discussion on Have you ever been outed by your kid? I have. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today I took my youngest with me to the store, he's 6. So we are standing in line at the cash register and behind ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Have you ever been outed by your kid? I have.

Have you ever been outed by your kid? I have.

So today I took my youngest with me to the store, he's 6. So we are standing in line at the cash register and behind us is another kid he went to school with.
    A little background on Liam, a few minutes after he was born he quit breathing and his heart stopped beating. He spent the next 6 weeks in the NICU. He's been healthy and well ever since with no health problems what so ever........other than his fiesty personality.
    So I'm in my early forties and Liam's classmates parents are in their mid-20's. Liam's friend is telling him about his Dad fighting in an upcoming local MMA fight. This kid tells Liam that his Dad can kick my but. Liam's reply is my "Dad will shoot your Dad"....... and before I realized this whole exchange he pulls up my shirt exposing my pistol, carried ITWB.
    I admonished Liam and reminded him of operational security and exchanged akward smiles with his classmates parents. No laws were violated as my permit in ND covers open carry too.
    Kids..... you gotta love them and the fun moments they bring!

2. Remove Ads

Never had this happen and we have 5 kids. I have always taught them not to let anyone know that Mom and Dad carry to protect us from the bad guys. None of them ever did it. Either I taught them really well or more likely, we got lucky. Maybe a little of both.

I can sympathize about the NICU stay. Our twin boys who are now 11 years old were born almost 3 months premature. They spent almost 2 months in the NICU. It is quite scary. And ours don't have any serious developmental problems either. We got lucky there too.
    Aceoky and sensei2 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Nope, hasn't happened with my son (yet/knock on wood). My three year old niece almost outted me once though.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Kids are kids and one never knows what will come out of their mouths. I never let my grandkids see or know that I carry. My son does likewise. This approach minimizes the possibility of awkward situations, etc.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

My kids are pretty good about keeping quiet. But with 3 active boys there is no way I could keep this a secret from them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006.9V2.1 View Post
    So today I took my youngest with me to the store, he's 6. So we are standing in line at the cash register and behind us is another kid he went to school with.
    A little background on Liam, a few minutes after he was born he quit breathing and his heart stopped beating. He spent the next 6 weeks in the NICU. He's been healthy and well ever since with no health problems what so ever........other than his fiesty personality.
    So I'm in my early forties and Liam's classmates parents are in their mid-20's. Liam's friend is telling him about his Dad fighting in an upcoming local MMA fight. This kid tells Liam that his Dad can kick my but. Liam's reply is my "Dad will shoot your Dad"....... and before I realized this whole exchange he pulls up my shirt exposing my pistol, carried ITWB.
    I admonished Liam and reminded him of operational security and exchanged akward smiles with his classmates parents. No laws were violated as my permit in ND covers open carry too.
    Kids..... you gotta love them and the fun moments they bring!
    Liam's upcoming experiences with school yard bullies have been severely curtailed.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I had a somewhat similar experience with the daughter when she was about age 7. When the stripes on her butt healed, she never did it again.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Sometimes I am glad that all that I made were girls. Girls seem to be a little less spontaneous with their actions. At least mine are. Everyone that I know that has little boys has told me some crazy stories about what their boys say and do on a regular basis.

My girls know that I carry to protect them and others from bad guys. They are 7 and 3 years old. They see me with guns almost on a daily basis and it's just a normal daily activity for them. But I have mentioned to them that it's not be publicly broadcast. And so far they seem to stick to that instruction. So far at least.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Out of the mouth of babies.... got to love it

He took up for his dad, ensuring that his dad will never have to draw his gun to save himself for the other kids dad. I would love to here what the other dad has to say when he hear the same story.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    My granddaughter who was 5 at the time ran up on my right side hard, head butted me, and grabbed me around the waist. She, my son-in-law and I were in a large mall at the play area. When her head thunked into the butt of my Colt's 1911 she said, "ouch" and started rubbing her head. Her dad asked her what happened and she said, in a loud voice, "I ran into granddaddy's gun and it hurt". We got a good chuckle out of it along with a few people standing nearby. She still runs up and grabs me but she does it on the left side.

P.S. This mall, unlike many others, is not posted.
    Arborigine and Ransom like this.

I agree, you cant blame a kid for sticking up for his dad. Just out of curiosity how did the kid respond to your son's comment ?

My 4 year old son likes to carry his cap gun around the house "In his pants like dad". He hasn't outed me yet but he does ask if I'm carrying my gun occasionally. I'm going to remind him that it's not something we share with people even though I have a valid CHP.

I can never remember any of our three kids doing anything similar - now our oldest granddaughter who "hangs on me constantly" IS a concern- I try to keep her totally away from it (without mentioning I even have it) but it is a job. Since I don't get to see her often enough guess I will takes my chances

Yep, my little man gave me a huge in walmart. Thump, bumped his head and while in line said " Papa, I just hit your gun" The look on the clerks face was priceless..

This was the second time he has done this to me. He has gotten much better now that he is a little older...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son is 38 and a special agent. He outs me, I'll out him right back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links