What I've decide to do with travel and Illinois

This is a discussion on What I've decide to do with travel and Illinois within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leaving MO for a week before school starts to take the kids to see my brother in FL. This time I've decided not to unload ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 11 Post By Blackheart6
  • 3 Post By high pockets
  • 3 Post By MajorMalfunct
  • 2 Post By Wunderneun

Thread: What I've decide to do with travel and Illinois

What I've decide to do with travel and Illinois

Leaving MO for a week before school starts to take the kids to see my brother in FL. This time I've decided not to unload and lock away my gear, I'm going to go around IL. I'll be traveling on the heavy side of weaponry, as I am former military and my brother is a CW4 in the Coast Guard (2 years till retirement with 25 years of service), and we can't help but to have a big "show & tell" when we gather.

So, after looking at my maps App, I've decided to skip IL. It will only cost me one hour each way, and IL gas prices are always too high and the speed limits too slow anyway.

Take that IL!

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a plan. Good for you. Stay safe and enjoy your trip.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

10-4, done that many times !
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

GH
    The IL border is about 60 miles from me & each time I go down to Ft. Benning or Bragg for a reunion I drive around the state. I have an option of taking the car ferry across to Michigan which I might do the next time I head south. I can't see driving through Chi unarmed even on the expressway.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Leaving MO for a week before school starts to take the kids to see my brother in FL. This time I've decided not to unload and lock away my gear, I'm going to go around IL. I'll be traveling on the heavy side of weaponry, as I am former military and my brother is a CW4 in the Coast Guard (2 years till retirement with 25 years of service), and we can't help but to have a big "show & tell" when we gather.

So, after looking at my maps App, I've decided to skip IL. It will only cost me one hour each way, and IL gas prices are always too high and the speed limits too slow anyway.

Take that IL!
    If you're going down I-55, don't forget to stop at Lambert's (Home of the throw'd rolls)
    mjb65, Aceoky and SWIll like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Hopefully your new route carries you upwind of the stench emanating from Ill centered around Chicago.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Good for you. I wish there were more people like you so the government of Crook county would start seeing their failures. Ugh...just to think of that stupid pamphlet stuck in my door..."I want psychiatrist review of all gun owners"...makes my blood boil.

Sounds like a reasonable plan, and you have the pleasure of denying Ill of any of your cash, some of which would go to support their left-wing commie constitution hating agenda.
    Aceoky, gregivq and ZOMBIEvs42 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    If you're going down I-55, don't forget to stop at Lambert's (Home of the throw'd rolls)
    Heck yeah!

Going through Illinois from Missouri to get to Florida sounds like it would be out of your way to begin with. You'd have to take I-64 to get to I-57 before finally turning south. Unless you crossed at STL and caught Rt. 3 paralleling I-55 on the Illinois side. On I-55, it's nearly a straight shot south.

I wouldn't drive in this state either...and I live here.
    Fitch and DJC7 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    I wouldn't drive in this state either...and I live here.
    Ditto!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Illinois does have it's problems when dealing with visitors and their firearms, but that only comes from the stench of Chicago.

My wife is from Springfield, IL and we recently returned from a trip to visit her mom and so I could golf with the step-son's and she could make some arrangements to get her dad's ashes buried.

Not all Illinois citizens are gun-haters, actually the vast majority of people there are gun friendly and would love to see those Draconian laws repealed. At least they are moving in the direction of allowing concealed carry permits for their citizens.

On a laughing note, was on a green and ready to putt. My older stepson who lives in IL made the comment to the other guy golfing with us that, "not to worry, we will be just fine. That both me and his half-brother (my other stepson who lives in Kentucky) probably have our pistols in our pockets and we're safe!"

I told my stepson that we are not armed, we can't because that would be breaking IL law and we don't want to do that. My S&W Bodyguard was back in my suitcase bag. He just laughed and said pointing to our other golfer "He doesn't know that!"

As bad as we hate Illinois gun laws, avoiding it altogether seems a bit harsh, but do what you need.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Kwc
    @Blackheart6,

My first post on this forum...

I assume you have a MO CCW permit? If so you no longer need to unload and store your weapon when driving through IL. Look at section 40(e) of the new IL Public Act 098-0063. It provides a "safe haven" exception for non-residents.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf

Just lock it up in your car, out of sight, if you need to step out for anything (per section 65(b).

Kwc

Added: then again, if you have a whole stash in your car, you may have a tough time locking up everything out of sight. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwc View Post
    @Blackheart6,

My first post on this forum...

I assume you have a MO CCW permit? If so you no longer need to unload and store your weapon when driving through IL. Look at section 40(e) of the new IL Public Act 098-0063. It provides a "safe haven" exception for non-residents.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf

Just lock it up in your car, out of sight, if you need to step out for anything (per section 65(b).

Kwc

Added: then again, if you have a whole stash in your car, you may have a tough time locking up everything out of sight. :)
    This is what I was going to say.

Can't blame you if you still skip IL all together.

As long as you do not leave your vehicle, you do not have to stop and store away.

Now for us residents on the other hand, I still have to stop before entering and unload/stow away when traveling back home. Totally messed up.

You are perfectly legal to travel through Illinois if you have a ccw permit from another state.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    That's awesome! My kids have never been there, though I used to stop by there two days before Thanksgiving every year on my way to see my Grandmother. We will stop at Lambert's, good call!

Links