Moving to CO; Parker or Centienial. Is it harder to get a CCW in Arapahoe County?

This is a discussion on Moving to CO; Parker or Centienial. Is it harder to get a CCW in Arapahoe County? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm permanently moving to Colorado for the foreseeable future and I'm looking at Centennial or Parker. I've heard its harder to get a CCW in ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yz9890
  • 2 Post By tomtsr

Thread: Moving to CO; Parker or Centienial. Is it harder to get a CCW in Arapahoe County?

Moving to CO; Parker or Centienial. Is it harder to get a CCW in Arapahoe County?

I'm permanently moving to Colorado for the foreseeable future and I'm looking at Centennial or Parker. I've heard its harder to get a CCW in Araphoe than it is in Douglas County. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    You need to check the new law and see which of your guns and magazines are legal in CO. Sell the one's that aren't before you get there.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

As far as the new laws go everything owned before July 1 is legal in CO. Denver might have weird gun restrictions though.

CO is 'shall issue' for CCW, so no worries there.

It says anything bought after July 1st in the state of CO must comply. If you had it before that date it is grandfathered.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    You need to check the new law and see which of your guns and magazines are legal in CO. Sell the one's that aren't before you get there.
    Any regular guns will be perfectly legal in Arapahoe county. Denver is the only place in Colorado where certain weapons are banned.

And any size magazines are still perfectly legal here in colorado, as long as you owned them before July 1. I happily walk around with my fully loaded 17 rounders, so issues what so ever. Haven't even been asked to see a receipt for date of purchase (kidding). I even have a few 30 round magpul magazines I got pre-ban, just in case I get an AR one day.

Last I heard, Arapahoe county (like many of the counties around denver) is running about 90 days for the CCW process, but as Tessa mentioned, it is "shall issue" so it's really just the fees and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

Fitch
    You need to do exactly the opposite of this. Buy all the 16rd and higher magazines you think you'd ever possible need for the rest of your life before you get here. Even if you don't have the gun yet. You can use them here. Just can't buy them here. I've got a drawer full of G17, AK74, and M1A mags and I don't yet have those guns. I was at the range yesterday morning in Cherry Creek shooting my AK, AR's, and 10/22 with much higher than 15rd mags along with 20 other people including LEO's. And i called the state police before i moved back here in May. They're perfectly legal.
    lnferno likes this.

Welcome to the forum from Colorado. I wouldn't say it is any more or less difficult to get your permit in Arapahoe vs Douglas county. The process is fairly straightforward and standardized here. Each county has a website with all of the information you need to apply. I will say that it took almost 90 days exactly to receive my permit from Arapahoe County and they charge the maximum amount allowable under Colorado law (not sure about Douglas County). Also, each individual sheriff in CO decides whether or not to list CHP holders in the CBI's database. I know our sheriff does, but, again, I'm not sure about Douglas County. I hope this info was helpful and welcome again.

None of the above B/S to deal with just to the east in Kansas, I'm just saying.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I'd much rather live in Douglas county than Arapahoe county. The sheriff for Arapahoe county is one of the few who hasn't joined the rest of the Colorado Sheriffs in the lawsuit agains the mag ban and has criticized them for taking a stand agains the new anti-gun laws.
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno View Post
    I'd much rather live in Douglas county than Arapahoe county. The sheriff for Arapahoe county is one of the few who hasn't joined the rest of the Colorado Sheriffs in the lawsuit agains the mag ban and has criticized them for taking a stand agains the new anti-gun laws.
    This isn't true at all. Arapahoe County has been involved with the case for awhile, and has actually provided a lot of support.

You can view and donate to help at the following site: Colorado Gun Case

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    As far as the new laws go everything owned before July 1 is legal in CO. Denver might have weird gun restrictions though.

CO is 'shall issue' for CCW, so no worries there.
    Does that mean that you have to carry your receipt around to prove when you bought it? I bought an AR15 with a 30 round mag in May 2013 but I don't know where the receipt is. So I won't take the rifle when I go visit my Colorado relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Does that mean that you have to carry your receipt around to prove when you bought it? I bought an AR15 with a 30 round mag in May 2013 but I don't know where the receipt is. So I won't take the rifle when I go visit my Colorado relatives.
    This is what makes the law unenforceable. There is no realistic way for them to prove that you purchased the mag after the ban was in place.

Besides, neighboring states aren't likely to check your ID to see where you live before they sell you a boat load of mags, and I doubt that there will be a mag check at the state line. I'm not suggesting that you go elsewhere and buy mags, just saying.
    84160 and wmhawth like this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Welcome to Colorado ... 90 days is about the standard on getting the CHP in Colorado

Like folks have said, just follow the instructions on the county WEb site

No problem on pre-owned Hi Cap mag's
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Gerry
    Ft Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Calvito View Post
    Also, each individual sheriff in CO decides whether or not to list CHP holders in the CBI's database. I know our sheriff does, but, again, I'm not sure about Douglas County.
    Are you sure about that? I may be wrong, but I THINK that was changed a year or so ago, and it was prohibited state-wide, and is no longer a prerogative of each sheriff to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post
    Are you sure about that? I may be wrong, but I THINK that was changed a year or so ago, and it was prohibited state-wide, and is no longer a prerogative of each sheriff to decide.
    I believe I stand corrected. I apologize for the incorrect information. From ARAPAHOE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT INFORMATION PACKET, page 10:

(b) (I) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (3), on and after July 1, 2011, a sheriff shall not share information from the list of permittees with a law enforcement agency for the purpose of creating a statewide database of permittees, and any law enforcement agency that receives information concerning permittees from a sheriff shall not use the information to create or maintain a statewide database of permittees. Any information concerning a permittee that is included in a statewide database pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection (3) shall be removed from the database no later than July 1, 2011.

Links