Does a recent background check speed up your CHL time?

This is a discussion on Does a recent background check speed up your CHL time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mailed off my stuff to Austin two weeks ago this coming Friday. The website says its in the mail already. The only thing I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BeefyG
  • 1 Post By BeefyG

Thread: Does a recent background check speed up your CHL time?

Does a recent background check speed up your CHL time?

I mailed off my stuff to Austin two weeks ago this coming Friday. The website says its in the mail already. The only thing I can think of is I had a background check done by my employer over a year ago so that I could start working with radiation sources. I imagine that was a pretty thorough one and maybe is on record somewhere or something. Anybody experienced this before?

I know states differ but my dad took the same class I did in March and mailed his stuff off that following week. It took the full three months to get his.
    sanfordreed likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I doubt it would speed it up any.
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member
    Find me on FaceBook - facebook.com/nelly0717

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not necessarily the same BG check either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You say you "mailed" your stuff. It might have helped speed the process up if you had done everything online. DPS is trying to cut down on handling paper. TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing
    I assume you went to the designated place to get fingerprinted. Electronic fingerprints are now required. Just remember, they are swamped in Austin, lots of people are getting their CHL with almost 600,000 and rising fast. The previous background check will not help speed it up. There is absolutely no coordination or sharing of info. Each agency wants and requires their own background check. I have had to get new background checks for teaching, volunteering, just visiting schools, and I really wish that if you have a CHL and go thru all the background checks, that should be enough. Maybe someday, I am just dreaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    I mailed off my stuff to Austin two weeks ago this coming Friday. The website says its in the mail already. The only thing I can think of is I had a background check done by my employer over a year ago so that I could start working with radiation sources. I imagine that was a pretty thorough one and maybe is on record somewhere or something. Anybody experienced this before?

I know states differ but my dad took the same class I did in March and mailed his stuff off that following week. It took the full three months to get his.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordreed View Post
    You say you "mailed" your stuff. It might have helped speed the process up if you had done everything online. DPS is trying to cut down on handling paper. TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing
    I assume you went to the designated place to get fingerprinted. Electronic fingerprints are now required. Just remember, they are swamped in Austin, lots of people are getting their CHL with almost 600,000 and rising fast. The previous background check will not help speed it up. There is absolutely no coordination or sharing of info. Each agency wants and requires their own background check. I have had to get new background checks for teaching, volunteering, just visiting schools, and I really wish that if you have a CHL and go thru all the background checks, that should be enough. Maybe someday, I am just dreaming.
    I applied online but still had to mail off the CHL-100 and checklist. I'm just really surprised it didn't take longer. If I get it today or tomorrow it will have taken less than two weeks. All that really matters is its on it way...
    Aceoky likes this.

Links