Door alarms/metal detectors in stores?

This is a discussion on Door alarms/metal detectors in stores? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For us CC'ers, we like to stay inconspicuous. It's a horrible feeing walking into a store to hear beep beep beep look at me! Has ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Door alarms/metal detectors in stores?

Door alarms/metal detectors in stores?

For us CC'ers, we like to stay inconspicuous. It's a horrible feeing walking into a store to hear beep beep beep look at me! Has this ever happened to you? How did you deal with this and how did the outcome turn out, positive or negative? Two separate times last week, I entered a department store and set off the door alarm due to my firearm. Fortunately for me no one batted an eye but it got me thinking, what if they did? What if it happened while I was leaving the store and they thought I stole something? What would be the best course of action to take to present them your license and de-escalate the situation before the police get called and it turns into a huge inconvenience?

2. Remove Ads

Same thing happened to me, no one batted an eye. I was completely legal. If they had asked to search me I would have just left.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Id say that Im carrying a multitool in my pocket or had steel pins in my knee/shoulder or something along those lines, and then be on my way if anyone asked.

Did this place have a "No weapons allowed" sign?
    marcclarke and perfection like this.

Never has happed to me.

I haven't been in any store that has metal detectors at the entrance/exit. I have been to stores that have anti theft detectors, but they don't pick up metal, only the signal from the tags in merchandise.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    The only time I have ever had one of the alarms go off is when the cashier did not deactivate the RFID tag, I have never had my firearm set off the alarms.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Something is not right here. The theft detectors should not beep at a gun. I think he was shoplifting....
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Never has happed to me.

I haven't been in any store that has metal detectors at the entrance/exit. I have been to stores that have anti theft detectors, but they don't pick up metal, only the signal from the tags in merchandise.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have stainless steel wire holding my rib cage together 3 stents and a defibrillator imbedded in me and have set off nothing at stores or post office.
    Hopyard, Aceoky and USM1976 like this.

Stores do not have "metal detectors" at their doors. Think of how impractical that would be. Are you sure this happened to you?
    Ianthin and 3rdegree like this.

...couple of years ago, I set off the beeper every day coming and going for about a month...and I carry heavy...they don't ever stop anyone...too timid or lazy...one day I pulled off my Big Smith shirt to throw it in the wash...the theft tag was still sewed into the underarm...never noticed them...cut them off all my new shirts and haven't beeped since...
    ...a chunk of metal doesn't set off the theft alarm...

Store metal detectors, alarm towers.

What's being sensed is an overlooked "sensormatic" tag. If you purchased a tagged item and the cashier failed to deactivate the tag, it will trigger the alarm every time you enter a store that uses the "Sensormatic" system. It could be on anything, but it is most likely inside your new wallet. I worked retail for a time at a store that used "Sensormatic" tags and carried several sheets of them in my apron most of the time. One of our great jokes was to go out an unsensored door (usually while retrieving buggies) and put tags on a few buggies, or tag a customer's buggy while they were shopping in the store. We always put one on the fork lifts to embarass whoever had to take a load out on the parking lot. Yeah, I know it was juvenile, but we did need a laugh occasionally.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've had the thing at the door go off show my receipt go on my way CC doesn't come up.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I have stainless steel wire holding my rib cage together 3 stents and a defibrillator imbedded in me and have set off nothing at stores or post office.
    ***? Holy hell, dude!
    Op, it always crosses my mind when I see the detectors at the store. But I'm pretty sure like others said, they are for merchandise not firearms.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Never had a problem with them.

Just a thought... Assuming you aren't actually stealing something.

If some store security person of whatever type accuses you of stealing or shoplifting politely leave. If they attempt to detain you, and in some states they may have some authority to do so, stay in public view and cooperate but insist on waiting for the police (which they should have called if they have a legit suspicion that you stole something) Take your gun: no. Take you to some back room office: no. People have had bad experiences before, and IIRC someone got like a six-figure settlement against Best Buy or someone for a loss prevention person who wanted to take their CCW. Know your rights, and theirs.
    Snub44, mprp, jem102 and 3 others like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I'm 69 years old and have never entered a retail establishment that had a metal detector at the door and I carry almost everywhere.
    Sister, Haywood and Barbwire like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links