More Virginia CHL Questions

This is a discussion on More Virginia CHL Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title says it all. I goto school in AZ but spend plenty of time back there in Fairfax County. Here's my questions: 1. When applying ...

Thread: More Virginia CHL Questions

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Question More Virginia CHL Questions

Title says it all. I goto school in AZ but spend plenty of time back there in Fairfax County. Here's my questions:

1. When applying for a non-resident VA permit, will that still be good in Fairfax County? I ask because I have seen instructions for applying for a permit for Fairfax County. I assume my non-rez permit would be good there but I want to check with someone who lives there.

2. I cannot, for the life of me, remember if I changed my Drivers License every time I moved when I lived there - which was every year since 2000. I know they check for resident addresses and wasn't sure if their background check is done through the DMV or just through tax papers? Does this even matter for non-resident permits?

3. PDO says that Virginia Permits will become "lifetime" on July 1, 2007. Does that apply to non-resident permits? If it does apply to non-rez, will my new permit automatically become a lifetime permit on that date or will it need to be renewed after that?

The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

packing.org has state by state info that might help you. http://beta.packing.org/state/virginia/
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    1) Permits are good throughout the state. Fairfax (funny NRA headquarters is there) continues to thumb it's nose at the law and is trying to make it hard for folks to carry there.

2) Don't think it really matters, but I believe the check is done between state police departments. AZ state police will probably go throuh the DMV

3) Lifetime permits are for residents only.

Best regards.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    All covered but I'll expand on #2. The VSP (Virginia State Police) will run you through their system and also the FBI system. Your resident addresses will pop-up, but if you are now a resident of AZ and have shown that on your app there should be no problem.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Awesome. Thank very much gentlemen. I had tried to find that on PDO and not found any very clear answers. Much appreaciated.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    FFX county Res Chiming in.......
    Buddy of mine got in a little hot water when an officer saw his knife hanging on the inside of his pocket. The knife was a one of those "Special Knives" with the button. The officer was going to charge him for the knife, and the officer didn't even care nor wanted to hear that he had his HK comp 45 on him. When my car got broken into the FFX county Mounty did give me a hard time about Me driving my dads car who had a permit at the time and I did not. No guns where in the car. Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Fairfax policy makers are always trying to make more restrictive gun laws but always keep loosing because they can't make laws more restrive then state.

VIP Member
    Rob99VI04 reminded me of something that may be worth mentioning. "Automatic" knives are illegal for non-LEOs in Virginia with or without a permit. A VA permit is for handguns only. No blade length restrictions on knives so long as they fold, but also no blade length allowances on a fixed blade. That goofy little letter opener blade in the little all in one tool kit is illegal to carry concealed in VA. Open carry of fixed blades is ok.

Fairfax, well just bad news for the most part when it comes to concealed carry, open carry or whatever. I know several officers there and they run the gamut from extremely pro-gun (one teaches CHP classes) to the guy who thinks only cops should have guns, knives and such.

Rob99VI04 - a friend of mine's son had a similar experience. My friend has a permit and his son isn't a Junior only because the middle name is different (same initial though). The Jeep was registered to my friend. The son has a flat and is in the process of changing it when the deputy pulls up and as a matter of course runs the tags. The deputy gets the son's DL and sees that the son is too young for a permit and the deputy immediately starts in on "Where's the gun?". The son was very confused until he remembered that dad has a permit and explained that to the deputy and then all was well. That was in Loudoun County just to your west.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    ...That goofy little letter opener blade in the little all in one tool kit is illegal to carry concealed in VA. Open carry of fixed blades is ok...
    Heh. I had to appear in court as an expert witness, not too long ago. They made me leave my pager outside the building. They made me empty my pants pockets and take off my belt. I had one of those credit card-sized "portable office" tools in my shirt pocket - completely forgot about it. The metal detector went off on my pocket and they asked to see the contents. They asked me what the card-like thing was. I said, "It's a portable office. See?" and pulled the ball point pen out of the card. They failed to note the 3" knife blade, scissors, and large straight pen in the card, and waved me through. No telling what kind of nefarious plot I may have had in mind...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Links