Fight Like a Girl And Other Lessons From a Stabbing

This is a discussion on Fight Like a Girl And Other Lessons From a Stabbing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few weeks ago I saw this story on my Facebook feed. A woman, Angela Champagne-From, was assaulted in a Minneapolis parking garage. A man ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Fight Like a Girl And Other Lessons From a Stabbing

Senior Moderator

Fight Like a Girl And Other Lessons From a Stabbing

A few weeks ago I saw this story on my Facebook feed. A woman, Angela Champagne-From, was assaulted in a Minneapolis parking garage. A man put a knife to her neck and told her to get in a car with him. She had no way of knowing he was a serial sexual predator. She chose to fight him. She used techniques she learned in a self defense class to defend herself and got stabbed in the process. Her attacker was later caught and she has since made it her mission to encourage more women to fight back.

The story is an amazing one and I encourage you to read it. But the lessons are so vast I couldn't help but reiterate them in this blog post. I was so inspired to learn all I could from her story I sought out further information and news reports that led me to her contact information. Angela agreed to talk to me and I had an hour and a half long phone conversation regarding the incident, her mindset, self defense and the like. She is an amazing woman and I hope one day to shake her hand and tell her in person how much I admire her spirit.

I am, in no way, condemning any of Angela's actions. She knows this and I want you to know it, too. She did what she could and she survived. She also uses her experience to empower others. She is a strong woman! But that doesn't mean we can't learn more from her experience to help prepare ourselves.

As I read her story and spoke with her the lessons kept rearing their heads and I found myself grouping them into categories. Though the incident itself was fluid it was not hard at all to breakdown into what could be considered the categories of any self defense situation.

Read the rest Here!

2. Remove Ads

...thoroughly shaken by this story...I fear a knife FAR more than a gun...I will not hesitate to kill someone who pulls a knife on me...I don't think I fear anything as much as being cut...
    ...changes are going to come from this story...not just for women...thanks for the sharing of it...

VIP Member
    Excellent.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bang up job, Lima. Good point--any fight is better than no fight. She did what she had to with what skills she had.

Add me to the list of those who fear a knife more than a gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Outstanding. With your permission I would like to use your blog in a class or two.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...thoroughly shaken by this story...I fear a knife FAR more than a gun...I will not hesitate to kill someone who pulls a knife on me...I don't think I fear anything as much as being cut...
    ...changes are going to come from this story...not just for women...thanks for the sharing of it...
    I'm afraid of being cut as well. Even when I was in the marine corps and we did martial arts training involving knives, I still got crazy chills just from the rubber knife running across my skin. Creeps me out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    This is absolutely priceless and like Snubb admitted there are many out there that fear a knife. I have taught my wife as many things as I remember and how to fight for her life if I am not around and we have encouraged our daughters to learn defense and do not give up. I have multiple stab and slash wounds and yes it hurts worse than getting shot IMO. I really want to thank you limatunes for the post and it is this type of info that turns a light on and I'm send my girls a copy
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It is sad living in the twin cities metro (Minneapolis/st. Paul) I never once heard about this from the media. Thanks for sharing the story.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...thoroughly shaken by this story...I fear a knife FAR more than a gun...
    And just why is that?! I must admit that I, too, feel this way! I get a cold chill when thinking about a stabbing but it is much more intense than when I think of a shooting. Why the heck is that? Psychological? Physiological? Anybody know or is it just a guess? I'd be curious if there is any info.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

...I cut myself with a hunting knife while carving...it went to the bone, and I can still "feel" it...I was 12 at the time...since then, I've felt that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by robhic View Post
    And just why is that?! I must admit that I, too, feel this way! I get a cold chill when thinking about a stabbing but it is much more intense than when I think of a shooting. Why the heck is that? Psychological? Physiological? Anybody know or is it just a guess? I'd be curious if there is any info.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I think that this is Angela's story: she was near condition white when an attacker chose her but had the mental flexibility that her training and regular current conditioning gave her to muster the superior mindset to refuse to get taken and to survive over the attacker's mindset to take her.
    It may be tougher for women who are taught to abhor violence as anti-social and brutal. However, violence can be a tool of good people who choose not to be beaten by bad people.
    We can train in violence or combat or martial arts. And we should because the mind requires substantial feedback for the confidence in one's abilities necessary to have the superior mindset. The strength and endurance and technical training is only a means to accomplish a primary defensive goal, that which Angela accomplished, the mindset not to be beaten.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Mindset is huge IMO! Especially for women.

I was raped at 16 and beat up by a customer at work when I was 18 or so. NEVER AGAIN is what keeps my head held high, paying attention to what's around me & knowing in my head I will never roll over again. (Neither of the 2 instances above did I fight - the first I begged which did me no good & the 2nd I curled up in a ball to try and protect my head & let her beat me until someone came to my rescue)

In college I was grabbed on the street & keeping my head on a swivel & pepper spray in my hand not my backpack made all the difference IMO. I knew he was closing in one & was ready when he grabbed, spraying & screaming as soon as he was (too) close, he ran off right away but I'd have kicked, clawed or bit if necessary. These days I carry a different tool. Do I need to train more? I'm sure I do, but I do put in quite a bit of time trying to be prepared to use it if God forbid I ever find myself in the situation to need it.

Thanks Lima for sharing the blog, I've shared in on Facebook (I'm one of your followers as well) You always give great advice & something to think about!
    Aceoky, Snub44, airslot and 6 others like this.

Good for her and other ladies like her! Shame on politicians who would attempt to deny women their right to self defense.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    My heart goes out to any women that is abused . Girls and women need to know they can fight back and win . Thank You for shairing the story .
    Snub44 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Saw it on your FB... pretty powerful story.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links