day at the beach

This is a discussion on day at the beach within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to get some opinions on what others do when they go to the beach. I fully support the 'always carry' position but ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 5 Post By archer51

Thread: day at the beach

day at the beach

I would like to get some opinions on what others do when they go to the beach. I fully support the 'always carry' position but as someone who lives on the coast, the beach is a challenge. Beyond having very young kids, the idea of having a weapon near by (beach bag, etc.) doesn't seem practical or a safe practice for a day in the sun. Curious what others do or suggest.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Welcome to DC(dot)C.

I have no idea why you think it's a challenge - you didn't say. I have no idea why you think it isn't safe. There are lots and lots of options. For example I carry my wallet and cell phone in a zippered pocket. I've NEVER had any children try to steal, take, play with my wallet, or anything else in my possession. Why would a firearm be any different. I presume you're not wearing a T-shirt that says 'I have a big gun in my pocket'. :D

I would suggest a small briefcase that's water proof (they sell those specifically for cameras, etc.) keep it within reach, if you have children. Otherwise, a fanny pack works well and you can get those which are water resistant.

Seeing you only have three posts, I hope this is a sincere question and not a troll designed to make fun of people who carry as needed no matter where they are.

When all else fails.....fanny pack made for a gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've spent most of my life in South Florida, I usually leave my side arm in the truck when I go to the beach. I've personally deemed this an acceptable risk. I suppose you could pickup a small lock safe and leave yours in a beach bag for when you go in the water, or buy a Glock and just go swimming with it

I say it's a challenge because I am wearing just a board shorts / bathing suit, and no shirt. Also going into the water and playing in the sand with kids. So basically I am curious what others do since I would not have a weapon on my person. And considering the activities, I don't find it practical or safe to bring a weapon and leave it unattended in a bag while I wasn't close enough to prevent someone from getting ahold of it.

When we go to a beach, my gun is on my hip. I usually just have a print cover shirt to cover my firearm, just like any other day.
    I don't 'roast' my body in the sun anymore. I don't swim in the ocean because I'm not into feeding sharks.
    When up North with the grandkids, my firearm is still on my side as we walk along the Lake Michigan shoreline.
    When we used to kayak, I just put my firearm in a plastic bag, but still readily available.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I put it in a fanny pack , then put FP in beach bag with zipper.. I put carry straps though the chair & unbrella,, Makes for time to get to someone when I in water; ) PS We get a distance of a 100yrds between anyone & NO KIDS
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Like a lot of us old guys have other hobbies than shooting. 5 am you can find me metal detecting on the beach. To keep coins an jewelry in while hunting they sell a mesh bag so the sand can be washed out I always kept my 642 in a large plastic bag in there worked well

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick13 View Post
    I say it's a challenge because I am wearing just a board shorts / bathing suit, and no shirt. Also going into the water and playing in the sand with kids. So basically I am curious what others do since I would not have a weapon on my person. And considering the activities, I don't find it practical or safe to bring a weapon and leave it unattended in a bag while I wasn't close enough to prevent someone from getting ahold of it.
    OK, well in that case, they make very small lockable gun cases, but you don't want it to be obvious. If you're going by yourself, and you will be leaving stuff on your blanket (like sunglasses, book, towel) then you probably can not bring it with you and leave it while you swim or body surf. But you really can't bring anything expensive or personal if you're alone. If it's you and another adult, just have them be in charge of it, while only you know the combination or keep the key. This is one reason I'm always advocating partnering up.

Stay safe!

VIP Member
    Being 60+ no one wants to see me in a bathing suit, no matter how much it covers!

You don't say what kind of gun your using. You might want to look at a small pocket gun for such occasions. Keep it in a zip lock bag to protect from water and sand.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm one of those guys who keep a gun in my truck. It comes in at night but during the day it rests in a lick-box tethered to the seat frame with a 1/4" steel cable. This is my beach gun. And my post office gun, and my back-up gun... I dont carry my regular CCW gun when going to the beach. (another 60+ guy) Any and everything gets lost at the beach. Sand gets into every and anything at the beach. Sometimes it best to not have a gun.

Links