Car carry

Car carry

This is a discussion on Car carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When in my vehicle by myself I put my gun here I keep it covered with my leg Is this concealed enough, anyone see issues ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Car carry

Car carry

When in my vehicle by myself I put my gun here

I keep it covered with my leg

Is this concealed enough, anyone see issues with this approach?

If you're pulled over and the officer happens to see it you could have problems. It would definitely cause problems in TX but IDK anything about WI.

I carry a .380 in an ankle holster. No matter which way I lean or move the weapon stays hidden. Just my two cents.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

JulesWinnfield likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    If you're driving a lot, I'd suggest a 5.11 style shirt where you can reach it easily when seated. Car carry in that location is OK, but think about it. To draw you'd have to take your eyes off the road, even if just for an instant, and you'd have to lean over and change position. A moving 2 ton car is as deadly, if not more so than a firearm. In an underarm carry like a carry shirt you have relatively quick access. If you are hit and thrown from the car you are separated from your firearm, and though it may look secure, in a collision the gun will go flying out of that holster.

Also bear in mind that if you draw, there are ways (see Clint Hill) for positioning and deploying safely. You should research those and practice them. Clint suggests following the arc of your steering wheel, for example.

Good luck!
    Secret Spuk likes this.

I keep a remora in the car an carry crossdraw while driving than back in summer special upon arrival

It all depends on the laws of the state you are in and whether or not you have a carry permit or license.

If the law of the state you're in doesn't allow for concealed carry in your vehicle without a permit and you don't have a permit you're looking for a charge.

It most likely would never pass for open carry so you'd be bound to laws regarding concealed carry.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I have my ccw permit so no issue there

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

To make this fully concealed, you might consider getting a nice hankerchief and cover the top. Just fold it along the sides, and it comes right off if you need it, then you will be ok in Texas also.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgunnut View Post
    I have my ccw permit so no issue there

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4
    chandler4228 likes this.

”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

In KY, the gun has to be in a factory installed compartment, or on you if you have a ccdw permit. Door pockets, seat back pockets, even if your car has a storage tray under the seat, that's ok. Your way would be a big no-no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Aceoky and bigwill72 like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

In FL, I have put an extra firearm between the seat and console with my hat over it...that's legal with a CCW permit.
    It just cannot be seen from outside of the car.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    In S.C.,so far as car carrying, ccp or not,you have a firearm that's not on you it has to be secured in a closed compartment.

I still say that carrying a gun period, the best location for it is on your body. I've thought about the kind of set up you have there but I realized that in the event of a car accident, that gun may end up anywhere in or outside of the car. If my gun is in my holster on my hip, it most likely isn't going to be anywhere but on me when the dust settles.

And I have practiced drawing from my holster, concealed while seated and belted in my car. It isn't the fastest draw but it beats not having the gun where I thought it should be in the event of a wreck.
    Secret Spuk and chandler4228 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I still say that carrying a gun period, the best location for it is on your body. I've thought about the kind of set up you have there but I realized that in the event of a car accident, that gun may end up anywhere in or outside of the car. If my gun is in my holster on my hip, it most likely isn't going to be anywhere but on me when the dust settles.

And I have practiced drawing from my holster, concealed while seated and belted in my car. It isn't the fastest draw but it beats not having the gun where I thought it should be in the event of a wreck.
    I totally agree with the idea that it should be on the person.

A few weeks ago, I had to brake hard to avoid a BEAR that ran across the road ahead of me. Everything that was on the seat of my truck ended up on the floor. If my gun had not been on me, who knows where it would have been.
    Last edited by ak56; August 8th, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    In KY, the gun has to be in a factory installed compartment, or on you if you have a ccdw permit. Door pockets, seat back pockets, even if your car has a storage tray under the seat, that's ok. Your way would be a big no-no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That is to not be considered "concealed on or about the person" (e.g. you don't have a CDWL)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links