IWB holster clips and belt bulge.

This is a discussion on IWB holster clips and belt bulge. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we can adjust clothing to cover (not print) the weapon and holster. A few questions, when tucking the shirt in and no cover. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: IWB holster clips and belt bulge.

IWB holster clips and belt bulge.

So we can adjust clothing to cover (not print) the weapon and holster.
    A few questions, when tucking the shirt in and no cover.

The clips that hold the holster. Do we just assume the most people don't notice them? Or don't know what they are? There really isn't anything we can do to hide them, is there?

Also the bulge in the belt where the gun is. Again, Do we just assume the most people don't notice it? Or don't know what it is? There really isn't anything we can do to hide it, is there?

2. Remove Ads

Blousing the shirt, pulling it out and letting it fall over the belt, helps. Increases the room in the shirt to hide the gun, and covers any hardware on the belt. If you just tuck the shirt in tight, not much of a way to hide a gun in there.
    archer51, Stevew and bigmacque like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Just as was stated above. Before you go out, look in mirror and see if you can spot it, you know you have it on, and if you have hard time then people that are 'busy" will not notice it. Keep this in mind, that if you bend over or move downward might uncover it, bad. Like shooting this is something that should be practiced and adjusted. Keep in mind that with an IWB you may have to wear next size up in pants to accomadate the bulge.

Forgot another use full tool is using a shirt with a pattern on it. It assist in camoing the slight print it is one from moving.
    Snub44 likes this.

The more I carry, the more I realize that unless you have a red circle with an arrow pointing to it and "gun" printed on your shirt most people just are not paying close enough attention to notice. When I am tucking my shirt in it is with black pants/belt so the clips kind of blend in. Never had anyone notice.
    CJ_mp40c, Snub44 and FlaRon like this.

VIP Member
    Agree with chiefjason. Don't Tuck the shirt down tightly. Tuck it loosely so it flows over the belt. Not only will it help hide the gun and belt clips, I find it more comfortable than tightly tucked.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    This question will no doubt rage forever. It will come down to personal preference.

Personally, I rarely IWB carry anymore. I find it VERY uncomfortable (esp in the car) and as you said, depending on the weapon it bulges pretty good..I carry a Glock 27; though small it's kinda' (chunky). A friend carries a LC 9; not nearly as visible.

Now I use a all leather OWB Galco; it pulls up tight to my body and with a untucked shirt is LESS visible than the (sof-tuck) which is rapidly gathering dust.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by Dsbjax View Post
    The more I carry, the more I realize that unless you have a red circle with an arrow pointing to it and "gun" printed on your shirt most people just are not paying close enough attention to notice. When I am tucking my shirt in it is with black pants/belt so the clips kind of blend in. Never had anyone notice.
    That's the truth. I've been carrying for more than 40 years, in NY which is definitely not gun friendly, and I have never been called on my gun. And I don't go to extremes to conceal my gun. I usually carry a G23, OWB, and I just let my shirt, T-shirt, jacket, whatever, drop over it. The bulge is easily seen, assuming anyone notices, which they don't. Some time ago I had taken my jacket off and put it on the car seat while I drove to the store. I spent an hour shopping, checked out, and walked back to my car - I opened the door and saw the jacket on the seat - I had spent over an hour walking around with my gun uncovered, and no one noticed or cared.

I'm not suggesting you ignore your responsibility to properly conceal. I'm suggesting there is a level of reason involved: concealed means "hidden from NORMAL view."

I too am of the camp that think most people just don't pay that much attention. Example, my wife and my parents teamed up to surprise me with a new IWB and belt combo from White Hat for my birthday. They ordered it based on the estimated delivery time to have it arrive just before my birthday. Imagine my surprise when I found that package in the mail 2 and a half weeks early. Wore that rig 3-4 times with a Sig P250FS, shirt tucked, around my parents and they never knew. Only found out it was shipped early a couple days before my birthday.

I think some of it comes down to body shape and size, where you wear it on your waist, and how observant people are around you, which is usually not very.
    Poorly and Aceoky like this.

People don't pay attention at all. My wife recently got her CCWL here in FL. Well she was all worried about the "bulge". I could not convince her that nobody would notice etc... So one day, I went out while carrying OWB with a simple T'Shirt to prove my point. I walked around the store with this huge bulge on my side that was clearly not normal and to her screamed gun. She could not believe that no one was giving me any funny looks.

People don't notice or look in that direction at all. Heck, with how big cell phones are these days, all kinds of people have "bulges" on their hips.

I do play the "how many CC folks can I spot" game every now and then. But that's just me being currious to my surroundings and seeing if I can spot it.

Cool

A large enough shirt with a loose tuck, and wearing a belt the same color as the clip works well for me.

Image 4.jpgImage 5.jpgImage 6.jpg High Noon Alter Ego holster and G-23
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    Aceoky likes this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

VIP Member
    I'm one of those geeks that has to have a tight military-tuck or none at all. For that reason, I never could get even the best tuck-able holsters to work for me.

Since I'm usually wearing slacks when tucked, my resolution is to front-pocket carry in a good pocket holster on days that I need to look presentable. That, leaving the rest of the occasions for me to go un-tucked and carry as much gun as I want to.
    10thmtn likes this.

I do believe there is an exception to the "no one notices" theory (with which I agree, by the way).

That exception is where you might be in contact with the same people for extended periods of time. For example, church service, business meeting, and the like. I think in those circumstances, people get a little bored, eyes start to wander, and they might pay more attention to the attire of others than is normally the case. Under those circumstances, if it is crucial that no one know you are armed, you might consider paying a bit more attention to removing any odd bulges in the clothing or belt.
    10thmtn likes this.

I've had someone notice once but he didn't care. He looked at me and said, "Is that too hold up you gun?" then went about his business. It was a coworker who is a hunter so it was no big deal.

Bulges I worry about, especially the shape. But the clips themselves, I don't think about it at all as long as the color matches the belt. Even if you don't 'blouse' your shirt out, as you move the shirt will pull out enough to cover the tops of the clips. As Tennessee Jed stated above, it's the people you see every day if you spend any time in an NPE that could be your undoing.

Then again, I rarely tuck my shirt anymore. When I do interviews I do, but then I'm super careful about every inch of the waistline.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links