nearby shooting…

nearby shooting…

This is a discussion on nearby shooting… within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Woke up this morning at 4am to the unmistakable sound of gunshots right outside my apartment window, there where about 9-10 shots total, I instantly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nearby shooting…

nearby shooting…

Woke up this morning at 4am to the unmistakable sound of gunshots right outside my apartment window, there where about 9-10 shots total, I instantly reacted by grabbing my S&W.40 off the nightstand and getting myself low to the ground, I called the police and they took about 15-20 minutes to arrive, they are still looking around the complex,

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    Woke up this morning at 4am to the unmistakable sound of gunshots right outside my apartment window...I called the police and they took about 15-20 minutes to arrive...
    They probably wanted to wait until the coast was clear before investigating.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Those 24-hour donut shops sure have a detrimental effect on graveyard shift response time.....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's just abysmal. How do they excuse that?! If they won't get there in just a couple of minutes for GUNSHOTS, what WILL they get there quickly for?!

I once reported gunshots behind my home in the wee hours of the morning and had to call TWICE! The second time (15-20 minutes after the first call) they said they were coming and would be there soon. An hour went by and nobody showed up. I think the people that were shooting either got what they were shooting at or just got tired and went to bed.

That event just told me that nobody cares about you....but you!
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Ok...lets not bash LEO's. If they didn't show up immediately it's because they were at another scene. Cop's don't just take their time for no reason. They can't just drop the case they are on to start another one. Yes, that is a long wait. It should reinforce your desire to carry a firearm. Let's not blame cops for having a heavy workload. Maybe they need to hire more police in your area. Call them and tell them you are witnessing a murder and they will be their in three minutes flat.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Administrator
    I know if I go to a shots fired call, I don't go blazing in on my white steed to save the day.... The shots have already been fired. I will use stealth to my advantage, most will never know I'm there until well after the fact.

If they truly took that long, its Govt bureaucracy hard at work. To few officers dealing with to much garbage. Its not the individual officers fault.

As the saying goes, "Call 9-1-1. Call an ambulance. Call for a pizza. That way, you'll have your wounds treated and a full belly when the police arrive."... No, really, it's not the LEOs' fault...it's another result of our down-sized, stream-lined, do-more-with-less philosophy for local government services. The result - not enough police to handle all of the calls they receive...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Its been said the police arent there to protect you all the time. Just to keep order and take reports in the aftermath. Your responsible for your own saftey. Most departments are under funded under staffed. And in my opinion the officers are underpaid for what they have to put up with. Just my 2 pennys worth. Be safe everyone.

Sixgun

Lead Moderator
    All the more reason for us law abiding to have the means to defend.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You have to look out for yourself period! End of story...
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Its been said the police arent there to protect you all the time. Just to keep order and take reports in the aftermath. Your responsible for your own saftey. Most departments are under funded under staffed. And in my opinion the officers are underpaid for what they have to put up with. Just my 2 pennys worth. Be safe everyone.

Sixgun
    I can understand that a long wait for cops to show up can be the result of a downsized or undersized department that as a result is short-staffed.

I don't understand the relevance of the cops' pay, though. Are you saying that we shouldn't expect much of people who are not paid a lot, as though the delay might be due to them taking their time, out of spite for not being well-paid??

In times of need, 1911 is far quicker than 911 in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I can understand that a long wait for cops to show up can be the result of a downsized or undersized department that as a result is short-staffed.

I don't understand the relevance of the cops' pay, though. Are you saying that we shouldn't expect much of people who are not paid a lot, as though the delay might be due to them taking their time, out of spite for not being well-paid??
    come on! You read into that statement pretty far. 80% of what they deal with is domestic dispute calls(Billy gets drunk beats Martha. Martha won't press charges. LEO comes back next week- same couple and Billy's drunk again...). I also think they should be paid a lot more for the wacko stuff they deal with. Does that mean I expect them not to care about their jobs at the pay they have now? Of course not. Thats not logical or the point he is making. It is a rough job, that's all.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

How Come If Shots Are Fired...

it takes cops 27 minutes to get to your neighborhood, but if you should shoot a rattlesnake to defend your dog in the backyard...four cop cars are there in 27 seconds...

I'm not knocking any of our brothers in blue...just making a statement about my luck...

Cops do not have an easy job...come to think of it, not many people have easy jobs...and no one gets paid what they're worth...everyone would like to make more...

Most of us knew the pay scales prior to entering our selected professions...we all make choices...[rant off]...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links