There Will Be A Lawsuit On This One

This is a discussion on There Will Be A Lawsuit On This One within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There will probably be a lawsuit filed over this one, based on the facts that were given in the news report. Police: Aliquippa Woman Thwarts ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: There Will Be A Lawsuit On This One

There will probably be a lawsuit filed over this one, based on the facts that were given in the news report.

Police: Aliquippa Woman Thwarts Robbery By Running Over Suspect « CBS Pittsburgh

To make matters worse, there is a hardware store in Beaver County called, "Busy Beaver." I'm serious...

Well, your car is a weapon, and, in a pinch can be used as such. There was a case several years ago, where a wildlife officer used his truck as a weapon while involved in a manhunt for a pair of cop killers.

They were laying down rifle fire in a parking lot, and other officers were in danger. He punched the gas petal in his truck, rammed the BGs' vehicle, which stunned them. He then proceeded to shoot through his windshield at the BGs.

There is video of it on YouTube. In his case, it was a good move.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Let see here the guy looked like he was gonna do something bad so he got run over!!

Hmmm, I wonder, if she saw someone with a holstered pistol, would she have run over them as well? While the guy she ran over surely looks "suspicious" on the surface, given the report, I doubt that it is sufficient cause for her to justifiably "run over him"!!!! Seems like a very good reason to be sure you keep your weapon concealed! Open carriers beware!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Let see here the guy looked like he was gonna do something bad so he got run over!!

The problem is “looking like you are a bad guy does not always equate to being a bad guy”. I will be willing to bet this guy will get a lawyer and make the case that he was simply walking down the street with a plastic toy gun (Air Soft) minding his own business when this crazy lady runs him over and he is permanent injured (physically and mentally) (probably more mental than physical) and he is entitle to a large amount of money including but not limit to the lady’s house, bank accounts, stock & bonds and everything this slug via his lawyer get their hands on. Since her act was intentional chances are her insurance company will probably deny coverage.
    Bottom-line I think her actions may have been premature and could cost her a lot of assets. Unfortunately I think this will blow-up on her.

Distinguished Member
    I used my suv as a weapon back in February of this year. Told some of you, guy came to the front of the vehicle late at night in a parking lot (I just got off work, was food shopping) and put up his hand for me to stop so he could come up to the window. My .38 was on the seat by then. I shook my head "NO" and then proceeded to drive where he was standing. This guy had more brains apparently than the one in the article, he moved out of the way.

I would do the same again. I'd rather take my chances at running over a foot than having to shoot him had he got to my car window and pushed his way in or tried too.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    First time in my life that i'm speechless
    Eagleks likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Of all the people she could've run over in our area, she chose THAT guy? Fail.
    Sister likes this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I used my suv as a weapon back in February of this year. Told some of you, guy came to the front of the vehicle late at night in a parking lot (I just got off work, was food shopping) and put up his hand for me to stop so he could come up to the window. My .38 was on the seat by then. I shook my head "NO" and then proceeded to drive where he was standing. This guy had more brains apparently than the one in the article, he moved out of the way.

I would do the same again. I'd rather take my chances at running over a foot than having to shoot him had he got to my car window and pushed his way in or tried too.
    Great job Sister. I'll bet that most would have stopped as so many people do what they are told without thinking about it.
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    ALIQUIPPA (KDKA) – Police say a Beaver County woman may have thwarted a robbery, by running over a suspect with her car.

... saw Cameron White walking down a street carrying what appeared to be a sawed off shotgun.
    ... noticed that White was heading in the direction of a group of children.
    ... feared White was going to shoot the children, so she ran over him with her car.
    Bad call, IMO.

Of course, that's based on early news reports, few facts/proof of the distances, directions, behaviors involved, etc.

You know, not even on my best day would I try anything like that with someone I saw clearly carrying a firearm, not when it wasn't clear where the person was going or what the person was doing. Based on imaginings, the driver ran over the carrier. Consider being a CHL carrier, seeing someone "over there" with a shotgun, then shooting down that person ... despite no active crime in progress, heading in a direction that could have any number of destinations, etc etc.

Apparently, though, the driver thought she could divine the intentions of the person walking down the street ... toward the children, toward some businesses, toward the ~50 homes in the area, toward the next street, toward who knows what destination. Weak, IMO. And risking her entire future behind bars on such a "pre-crime" action.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    The Beaver County District Attorney says they are not going to charge her with running White over.
    Interesting, that the DA isn't going to press charges.

If on a GJ or jury, I think (at least, with the early details reported in the news article) that I'd have a hard time believing that action was timely, that there was nothing else that could have been done, that anything up to that point actually entailed an active forcible felony that justified deadly force in such a way. I'd have to see far more fact in justification, than what appears to be the case so far. But that's just me.

While some might argue it was timely defense of innocents, I'd say it's a good example of what not to do.

EDIT: Just realized the situation was not (apparently) that the driver merely ran over someone she suspected of heading toward children, but rather was a driver who had the carrier raise the weapon at her in seemingly unmistakable terms, directly threatening her. Under those circumstances, with the carrier apparently being the one to introduce the threat of unjustified deadly violence , it looks like the driver had ever expectation of being shot in those next moments. Good call, then, it seems, if a bit unusual to use a 3500 pound ram to halt the shooter. Covered by the use-of-force statutes, though, it would seem. The DA appears to agree.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 10th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    So it's open season in Beaverville on anyone who looks like they "might" be a criminal?
    Sister and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Where do I sign the petition to ban women drivers?

Obviously, this terribly misunderstood youth is a victim of crazy woman with access to a deadly car.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bad call, IMO.

Of course, that's based on early news reports, few facts/proof of the distances, directions, behaviors involved, etc.

You know, not even on my best day would I try anything like that with someone I saw clearly carrying a firearm, not when it wasn't clear where the person was going or what the person was doing. Based on imaginings, the driver ran over the carrier. Consider being a CHL carrier, seeing someone "over there" with a shotgun, then shooting down that person ... despite no active crime in progress, heading in a direction that could have any number of destinations, etc etc.

Apparently, though, the driver thought she could divine the intentions of the person walking down the street ... toward the children, toward some businesses, toward the ~50 homes in the area, toward the next street, toward who knows what destination. Weak, IMO. And risking her entire future behind bars on such a "pre-crime" action.

Interesting, that the DA isn't going to press charges.

If on a GJ or jury, I think (at least, with the early details reported in the news article) that I'd have a hard time believing that action was timely, that there was nothing else that could have been done, that anything up to that point actually entailed an active forcible felony that justified deadly force in such a way. I'd have to see far more fact in justification, than what appears to be the case so far. But that's just me.

While some might argue it was timely defense of innocents, I'd say it's a good example of what not to do.

Agreed....The point one must consider first is....is this what a reasonable person should or would do ? I would think down here where I hang out, this woman would be charged with Aggravated Assault...
    Last edited by USM1976; August 10th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

VIP Member
    Aliquippa is a rough neighborhood. I'd bet a good bit of money that both of these folks are black. Notice, though, that the article made no mention of race.

How different would this article be if she was white and he was black.......Hmmm I wonder.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links