Weapon Light Attached to EDC

This is a discussion on Weapon Light Attached to EDC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone keep a weapon light attached to their EDC? Is it all the time? Only going out at night? Never? Do you keep two ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Weapon Light Attached to EDC

Weapon Light Attached to EDC

Does anyone keep a weapon light attached to their EDC? Is it all the time? Only going out at night? Never? Do you keep two separate holsters for each situation?
    I'm looking at getting the Streamlight TLR-1HL for my MP40. Mostly for home nite attachment. But then I got to thinking does anyone carry a light when out and about doing everyday (or night) stuff? Or ever been in a situation where you wish you had one?

2. Remove Ads

I don't recommend an attached light on an EDC. A light, yes, if you want, but not attached. They are a must, though, for a dedicated nightstand gun.

I have a light that I clip onto my EDC at night when I put it on my night stand. I do not attach a light for carry. I do carry a separate flashlight and recommend that you consider doing the same. Rationale: there are a lot of occasions where I want to have a light handy without revealing my gun.

I always carry a flashlight, but not attachment. I tend to think that an attached light is fine for use in one's own house, but out and about a detached light is more versatile.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    I carry a hand held flashlight. No light attached to my EDC. It adds bulk that doesn't need to be there. Same light is used at night as well.
    chandler4228 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry one in my knife pocket, only 50 lumens though. Thus the upgrade to attached light for night and thoughts of about a 300 lumens or so EDC light

DBS
    No light on my EDC.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    I carry a M-3 Light on my Glock and have a Raven Concealment holster made for it. I also carry a small Surefire Executive Light.

When I carry AIWB I do not have the light attached but have the small Surefire with me. With a holster made for the application and the size of weapons lights getting smaller and smaller there is no reason not to whether it be day or night.
    sparkykb likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Does anyone keep a weapon light attached to their EDC? Is it all the time? Only going out at night? Never? Do you keep two separate holsters for each situation?
    I'm looking at getting the Streamlight TLR-1HL for my MP40. Mostly for home nite attachment. But then I got to thinking does anyone carry a light when out and about doing everyday (or night) stuff? Or ever been in a situation where you wish you had one?
    I would go with the inforce APL for the MP40 if you're gonna do a light on your edc :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I designed my personal firearms, none would have rails.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No lights or lasers on any of my guns. I don't use my guns for clearing buildings with backup people behind me like the SWAT teams or military teams. I do have one or more flashlights in every room of the house and in my vehicle for emergencies. I prefer night sights on my self-defense pistols. No matter how much people train, the instinctive reaction in a life or death emergency is to look for the light or the laser dot instead of the front sight.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I have one but after reading a few sources of much respected information, I decline to use mine. Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch training advises against a fixed light and has a few methods of holding a pistol while also holding a flashlight together. The WML pretty much makes your gun a target for someone to shoot at. Makes sense when you think about it. Mas Ayoob generally advises the same.

I DO use my WML off the gun to look around my safe!
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Green laser on my XDS all the time - day/night - easy to see - I am 55 so I can't see sights very well.

I generally do not go for weapon mounted lights. My grandfather was a cop in Milwaukee during the 1920' and 1930's and I grew up on his stories. I vividly remember how he told me that bad guys shoot towards the light and the tactics he used to avoid being shot. Those same tactics are still valid today. Force on force training has validated the concerns of our grandfathers. I use a separate light, the only exception is my AR that is set up to deal with 4 legged night time predators, they do not shoot back.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I do sometimes. Glock 19 with Surefire X200 in a Raven Concealment holster. Have a holster for carry with light mounted and one for pistol only. Usually carry with light mounted if I'm going somewhere at night or someplace dark like a movie theater. Also more during the winter months because it is darker more while I'm out and about. A mounted light and handheld aren't mutually exclusive....I also carry a Surefire E2D. It's just another tool in the tool box. Carrying with a light mounted isn't going to get you killed automatically just because you have it on there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links