AL CCw traveling through GA and FL

This is a discussion on AL CCw traveling through GA and FL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; is there anything special i need to know or do when traveling across state lines from al to ga and then ga to fl? im ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AL CCw traveling through GA and FL

is there anything special i need to know or do when traveling across state lines from al to ga and then ga to fl? im new to the traveling with CCW.

know the states regulations and reciprocity agreements. You will be expected to follow the laws from the state you are in, not the state you come from. This website will help you to find info by state. http://www.packing.org/ Other than that, common sense.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the board. Gary Slider who is a member here used to maintain the CCW info at packing.org. He has recently opened his own site which is much more up to date on concealed carry laws and information. handgunlaw.us

You should be able to find everything you need to know there. I haven't traveled in Florida, but I did go to Georgia back in August and I don't recall any unusual requirements. I would still check very carefully though because I was not traveling through I was only going 30 or 40 miles in to LaGrange to shoot with a friend and coming back to Alabama the same day. The one thing that I do know about GA law that is different is that all concealed carry guns must be in a holster. Even pocket carry must include a holster. I'm sure that there may be other things you need to know about both GA and FL. Enjoy your trip.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Ready for this one?:
    In georgia you can't carry in a rest area.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Ready for this one?:
    In georgia you can't carry in a rest area.

AFS
    Well that's stupid! That's exactly where I want mine! We'll be heading into GA next month and I know of the differences in FL and GA when it comes to restaurants, but that one sounds absurd.

AirForceShooter,

Can you reference the "no rest area" in GA? I'm passing through on my way to FL next month. I checked out a couple CCW sites, but couldn't find a reference to it.

Also, anybody know anything about Sea World? CCW "OK" or is it staying in the car?

Thanks,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    ...Also, anybody know anything about Sea World? CCW "OK" or is it staying in the car?...
    This is just from experience, I don't know their policies, but we were just there (3 weeks ago) and they search bags and backpacks, but do not pat anyone down and do not have metal detectors.

It is illegal to carry in any Government owned, City, County, or State owned building in Georgia. Unlike Alabama, you may not carry in any place where alcohol is served for consumption on the premises. But the "Public Gathering" clause is vague and LEOs have harrassed CCW holders (especially around Atlanta) in places where the public is gathered. The Atty General has ruled that a "mall" is not considered a public gathering but I've read about arrests made in Burger Kings and WalMart. I doubt the charges stuck though. Not so bad here in SW GA, we often open carry w/o problems.
    Pershing SIR!!

I'll try to find it.
    Yeah it's stupid.

AFS

One thing to keep in mind when trying to figure out GA's absudly long and vague list of off-limits areas is this: "Concealed meand concealed"

That's something none of us should ever forget.

AFS

symbiont7,

Did Sea World have any signs posted? I've checked out their website, and can't find a thing about CCW?

AirForceShooter,

I've read through everything on GA CCW I can find. No mention of rest areas, but the “state building” clause does seem pretty inclusive.

What a screwy way to write a law.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Seaworld wasn't posted the last time I was there, and regardless of that, postings are not legally binding in Florida. The worst that can happen is you are asked to leave. (I guess they could also ban you from their property if they wanted)

They search bags and such as you enter, but that's all.

Florida is pretty straightforward with the ccw limitations, bars, schools, govt. buildings. There is still an issue up in the air about carrying in hospitals, but hopefully that is something you won't have to worry about.

Oh yea, if you go on the Atlantis ride - prepare to get soaked. A good time to store the sidearm in a locker for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    symbiont7,

Did Sea World have any signs posted? I've checked out their website, and can't find a thing about CCW?
    Ralanprod said it all. I saw no signs and they do not make it illegal to carry.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by symbiont7 View Post
    This is just from experience, I don't know their policies, but we were just there (3 weeks ago) and they search bags and backpacks, but do not pat anyone down and do not have metal detectors.
    In other words, they're putting on a useless show that doesn't actually make anyone safe by preventing weapons from being brought in (as though that would make anyone safe even if they could).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links