7 Common Mistakes of Concealed Carry Licensees and New Shooters

This is a discussion on 7 Common Mistakes of Concealed Carry Licensees and New Shooters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting read 7 Common Mistakes of Concealed Carry Licensees & New Shooters | Craig Bushon Show...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 7 Common Mistakes of Concealed Carry Licensees and New Shooters

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Gearhead, 357and40, JD and 4 others like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Interesting read.

VIP Member
    I probably would have read the whole article if the author knew how to use a paragraph.
    Last edited by RoadRunner71; August 11th, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I probably would have ready the whole article if the author knew how to use a paragraph.
    I would have readied it, too. By editing it before printing it.

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I probably would have ready the whole article if the author knew how to use a paragraph.
    At least he had breaks between the numbered mistakes.

It was worth the read though and I forwarded it to the few new CC'ers I know.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Worth reading just to confirm what you thought was good info in the past.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I'd take issue with some of those points. Though not all about CC, here is my todo list:

Getting the largest firearm you can CC because you won't like the recoil or the lack of accuracy in a mouse gun
    Understand 'deployment' - how quickly you need to access, dangers of off body carry, deploying in a car (rare), having too many options
    How to practice, understanding the adrenaline dump, what to practice
    When to shoot, legalities, aftermath, other options, how to deescalate, evade and escape, the three S rule
    Partnering up, training your loved ones, running scenarios, assigning tasks and actions
    How to progress from beginner to accomplished, how to maintain ability
    When not to shoot
    Cleaning, clearing and firearm maintenance
    sanfordreed and Bob2.0 like this.

I like your list. I would turn it upside down, and think it would then be in better order of importance. In all my years in dealing with training shooters in the classroom and on the range, the biggest problem I see is a poor attitude or understanding about Storage and safety. Many new shooters are coming into the scene, and they just don't put enough importance on where and how they are going to store their equipment. It is a common mistake among even seasoned carry professionals.
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I'd take issue with some of those points. Though not all about CC, here is my todo list:

Getting the largest firearm you can CC because you won't like the recoil or the lack of accuracy in a mouse gun
    Understand 'deployment' - how quickly you need to access, dangers of off body carry, deploying in a car (rare), having too many options
    How to practice, understanding the adrenaline dump, what to practice
    When to shoot, legalities, aftermath, other options, how to deescalate, evade and escape, the three S rule
    Partnering up, training your loved ones, running scenarios, assigning tasks and actions
    How to progress from beginner to accomplished, how to maintain ability
    When not to shoot
    Cleaning, clearing and firearm maintenance

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I'm going to add, carrying a semiauto that has not had a "sufficient*" number of the rounds carried for SD test fired through it to prove reliability.
    (I've seen an example of that on this forum).

Sufficient = subjective and variable term, but 6 or 7 rounds ain't it.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Good read. And good point here:

You should not waste your time, ammo, and effort training and shooting haphazardly just to fire a certain number of rounds. Rather, manage your shooting by planning the specific techniques, fundamentals, and skills you want to learn and improve upon while training.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I guess I have been using an ankle holster wrong all these years. When I use an ankle holster I wear it on the inside of my weak side ankle. It doesn't bump into stuff and is easier to get to with either hand. I don't think he convinced me to change yet. Anyone have advice that might help me change my mind?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Good read and it's great to see that it has sparked some reflection whether we agree 100% or not. I just hope that the thread doesn't simply degrade into another caliber war.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I guess I have been using an ankle holster wrong all these years. When I use an ankle holster I wear it on the inside of my weak side ankle.
    You'll get no argument from me as that is the way I have ALWAYS thought/read/seen it worn to be correct. Weak side, inside. Pull the pants up using both hands above the knee then down with the strong hand, snatch that sucker out and present!

To be polite, I'll say the author was mistaken in his method of ankle carry. If I wasn't feeling charitable, I'd have said he was flat-out WRONG!!!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

TRX
    The formatting looks like it was copied and pasted from someplace else. I suspected pirated text, but running likely-looking strings through Google didn't return any hits.

Running "Col (Dr) Benjamin Findley" through resulted on quite a few hits; Findley apparently teaches Florida CWP classes. Various hits show other CC articles by him on other sites.

I suspect this was some kind of class handout that got mangled going from some word processor to formatted HTML.

"This personal opinion article is meant for general information & educational purposes only and the author strongly recommends that you seek counsel from an attorney for legal advice and your own personal certified weapons trainer for proper guidance about shooting & using YOUR firearms, self-defense and concealed carry matters. It should not be relied upon as accurate for all shooters & the author assumes no responsibility for anyone’s use of the information and shall not be liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information or any damages or injuries incurred whatsoever."

That's a whopping disclaimer for an article that is, basically, only opinions... considering he's probably teaching much of it as a state certified instructor.

For some reason (possibly the formatting) the article came across as more "in your face" than "informative", but I didn't see anything I disagreed with enough to make an issue out of it.

Nope. For ankle carry, its weak side, inside ankle, for me.

Sit in a car and you will see why. Especially if you are in the drivers seat.

Some guy walking up, approaching your car door will never see you securing your weapon from that position, if you keep your head.
    robhic likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links