Accidentally cocked hammer

This is a discussion on Accidentally cocked hammer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was sitting down at dinner tonight and reached down to feel my gun and noticed the hammer was pulled back. I am new to ccw ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Accidentally cocked hammer

Was sitting down at dinner tonight and reached down to feel my gun and noticed the hammer was pulled back. I am new to ccw and don't carry with one in the chamber (yet) but I know I eventually will. I know the trigger would still have to be pulled but on my DA/SA sig 229 it just wasn't a good feeling discovering the hammer was back unintentionally.

Anyone else have this issue? What to do about it? Do you just decock and move on or what? If I had one in the pipe this would have been very concerning for me.

VIP Member
    I've never had a hammer pull back while carrying. That is odd.

Is it possible that you placed the gun in the holster that way and forgot?

What I would do - decock and then try to figure out how it got that way. How were you carrying? IWB/OWB? What position? Appendix, 3:30, etc.?
    BkCo1 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Need more info to make any suggestions. IWB? OWB? What kind of holster? Where on the clock do you carry it? If concealed, what clothing are you using? Pulling the hammer on a P229 without knowing you've done it isn't the easiest thing you'll ever do. It should have been obvious when it happened.
    OD* likes this.

I carry iwb in comptac mtac with a cant at 4:00. I think when I sat down in my truck the hammer was pushed up against the seat and may have cocked.

If you dont have one in the chamber, who cares where the hammer is? It was in a holster, so it couldnt go off regardless.

Of course SIG has a decocker, you could just use it.
    BkCo1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    If you dont have one in the chamber, who cares where the hammer is? It was in a holster, so it couldnt go off regardless.

Of course SIG is the only make out there with a decocker, you could just use it.
    The firearm was in a state that I did not intend it to be in. If you don't see why that is alarming, I can't explain it any clearer.

Several others have a decocker. My FNX has one as well.

No, I dont see much cause for alarm on a pistol that never has one in the chamber, and is in a holster.

Thats about as clear as I can make it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wberry85 View Post
    The firearm was in a state that I did not intend it to be in. If you don't see why that is alarming, I can't explain it any clearer.

Several others have a decocker. My FNX has one as well.
    GunTrooper likes this.

Of course SIG is the only make out there with a decocker, you could just use it.
    That's a joke right? Beretta, CZ, Ruger, Taurus, S&W, HK and more have models with decockers.
    technomonster likes this.

No, I dont see much cause for alarm on a pistol that never has one in the chamber, and is in a holster.

Thats about as clear as I can make it for you.
    Probably not your most brilliant post ever. The OP made clear that he was interested in learning how to prevent this for when he does start carrying with a round chambered. Probably good to bail out while you're behind.......

No, but it was a screw up, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    That's a joke right? Beretta, CZ, Ruger, Taurus, S&W, HK and more have models with decockers.

VIP Member
    I just pulled out my 229 DA/SA, verified it was unloaded, and tried "cocking" the hammer by rubbing it against a fabric covered surface. Because the force is not being applied in a manner that follows the arc of the hammer, it takes a lot of force, so much so that it seems like I would notice it if it happened accidentally. Seems like it might be nigh impossible if rubbing against a soft surface.

You might want to try it yourself, after verifying the gun is unloaded.

Check your truck seat for any signs of marring or pulled fabric where the Sig will rest when you are sitting - the hammer may have left a mark if that is what happened.

If there's no nicks, scratches, etc., then, if it were me, I would likely chalk it up to an error on my part (and I've made a few gun errors in my life...)
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    You should stop doing that right away.
    Sister and tcox4freedom like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

You could try to find a holster with a retention strap that goes over the hammer. But, yes, it's odd that it could have gotten cocked without your knowledge. I'm not personally familiar with sigs, but I've never found a hammer that I would call "easy to accidentally cock."

And though it's generally not a great idea to carry without a round chambered, in this case, it seems it would be wise to continue the practice until the mystery is resolved.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    Could your seatbelt have possibly cocked your sig? Seems like about the right area to contact it with the stationary buckle. Just a thought. Haven't heard of this happening to anyone before.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

You could switch to a bobbed or semi-bobbed hammer if you think you're snagging it on something.
    technomonster likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links