UN-Eventful Traffic Stop

This is a discussion on UN-Eventful Traffic Stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rather than post how poorly some LE handle a citizen carrying in their car; I thought I would post how it (should be). I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: UN-Eventful Traffic Stop

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

UN-Eventful Traffic Stop

Rather than post how poorly some LE handle a citizen carrying in their car; I thought I would post how
    it (should be).

I was pulled over for doing 47 in a 35. I'm sure the officer already knew I was LTC.

As he arrived at my drivers door he asked for my drivers license.

I calmly stated "With respect for you and your job, I am informing you I am legally licensed to carry and do have the weapon on me"

His response "No problem, I just need your drivers license"

My response: "My wallet is in my center console and my weapon is very close to it"
    He peered into my car and said "Ahh, I see it...we won't be needing the black thing, just the license" He kinda' smiled.

After running my license, he returned and said "I appreciate you informing me about the weapon" as he handed me a
    a small piece of paper requesting my donation to the (Red, White and Blue club) Oh well, can't win 'em all.

It's refreshing to hear about a good traffic stop from time to time.
    To be fair, it is Indiana with most LE well versed in our LTC laws.

This is how it should be.
    ccw9mm, Aceoky and Sister like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Never seen someone so happy they got a ticket and now has to make a donation .
    I am glad the LEO handled the situation so well and i have made a few donations as well
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    I prefer not to post on how a LEO treated me during a traffic stop, so I keep it under the speed limit.
    Alex_C, DoctorBob, Aceoky and 4 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Good non-event.

Just a thought for the future. Maybe keep your wallet in a different location than your firearm. That way there is less of a chance for a misunderstanding.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Well at least you got his autograph. Maybe after you tell the next one how much respect you have for him and his job you could offer to wash his cruiser or something. ;)
    Last edited by yz9890; August 11th, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
    NONAME762 and OldVet like this.

Getting a ticket sucks. But other than that glad the stop went well.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Rather than post how poorly some LE handle a citizen carrying in their car; I thought I would post how it (should be).
    Earlier this year I decided to do something personal in support of gun rights and RKBA. Mostly, I've been sending "attaboy" or "thank you" letters to legislators who have sponsored, supported, or signed bills I feel are important. I figure they get enough lobbying and abuse, an attaboy might be a nice change...

Anyway, this would be an appropriate time to send a short note to the officer's PD, and commending the officer's courtesy and professionalism. I guarantee very few of those get passed around the station...

There's always someone willing to make a complaint, but attaboys are few and far between.
    JTNiggle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Ticket not good, Stop went well.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Good non-event.

Just a thought for the future. Maybe keep your wallet in a different location than your firearm. That way there is less of a chance for a misunderstanding.
    I've been thinking about this lately. I keep my wallet in my right hand rear pocket, and also carry at 3:30, so it's the same reach to draw either my wallet or my firearm.

I haven't been pulled over in a while, but in planning for the future I'm trying to train myself to put my wallet on the dash while driving. One of my hopes is that this would reduce the chance of a LEO wanting to secure my firearm during a traffic stop while increasing his comfort level. This hardest part for me has been remembering to put my wallet back in my pocket when getting out. I often remember right after I've locked the rig, a bit more training and it will become second nature though.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I prefer not to post on how a LEO treated me during a traffic stop, so I keep it under the speed limit.
    I certainly agree with this. Don't want to draw attention to yourself. Besides, speeding usually doesn't get you there significantly faster. Besides, if you're not driving safely then I wonder how safely you handle your gun.

Good non-event. I keep my wallet away from my weapon when driving just to avoid anything possibly coming up and to put us both at ease in the event I'm ever pulled over.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Getting a ticket sucks. But other than that glad the stop went well.
    Not to mention how much your insurance rates will go up (speaking from experience).

Quote Originally Posted by JTNiggle View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately. I keep my wallet in my right hand rear pocket, and also carry at 3:30, so it's the same reach to draw either my wallet or my firearm.

I haven't been pulled over in a while, but in planning for the future I'm trying to train myself to put my wallet on the dash while driving. One of my hopes is that this would reduce the chance of a LEO wanting to secure my firearm during a traffic stop while increasing his comfort level. This hardest part for me has been remembering to put my wallet back in my pocket when getting out. I often remember right after I've locked the rig, a bit more training and it will become second nature though.
    My wallet is in my left front pocket and I carry on my right side. Shouldn't be an issue but I am required by law to inform a cop of the guns presence in Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    So, YOU'RE the guy I always get stuck behind.
    technomonster likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Besides, speeding usually doesn't get you there significantly faster. Besides, if you're not driving safely then I wonder how safely you handle your gun.
    Yep..12 MPH over the limit...Guess I'm a real desperado.
    technomonster likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links