Be Mindful When Dining Out

This is a discussion on Be Mindful When Dining Out within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lakewood Revisited | Try to keep a close eye on the main doorway when you are dining out and don't let yourself get boxed in....

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Be Mindful When Dining Out

Lakewood Revisited |

Try to keep a close eye on the main doorway when you are dining out and don't let yourself get boxed in.

There are a few reenactments, on that "channel": Law Enforcement & Police Video -- @ Law Enforcement & Police Video - YouTube.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are a few reenactments, on that "channel": Law Enforcement & Police Video -- @ Law Enforcement & Police Video - YouTube.
    Looks like a great channel, thanks for linking to it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I always try to sit so my back is to a wall as my first consideration. Although a couple weeks ago as one in a group of 7 I sat with my back to the front counter and to the only entrance as well. The only good thing about that setup is I'm just an old guy with a gray ponytail. No threat there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The thing I struggle with is mapping out a strategy that has me shooting into a relatively clear area if it comes down to that. In some restaurants this is somewhat easy, in others there are dense pockets of people in every direction. It is slightly comforting that a robbery is less likely to happen at the latter type of establishment, but it causes me some concern nevertheless.

Distinguished Member
    That is so cool, thank you for suggesting it ~ saved it in favorites.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I try to sit where even LE have to be trained to look upon coming into a room,, the corners to each side of the entrance. The deeper and darker the corner the better with my back to the wall.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Very cool site with some really good info, thanks for the link.

One thing I have done for as long as I can remember is to look a place over when I come in, find the exits and to sit where I have as good a view as possible of the main entrance and as many of the emergency exits as I can.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

...favorite seat in my everyday restaurant...legs up on the booth sitting sideways, back to the wall...I can see both ways down the "L" of the restaurant and the front door...they have to look hard left to see me, and the register's directly in front of me...the local cops, plainclothes, uniform, or off duty, routinely sit with back to the door at table with civilians who're BSing and not watching their back...the two regulars don't carry off duty...my best friend/partner's facing the door and sees out into the parking lot...and he pays attention...ex-Marine that's been on the streets longer than white lines...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I try to sit where even LE have to be trained to look upon coming into a room,, the corners to each side of the entrance. The deeper and darker the corner the better with my back to the wall.
    BadgerJ, Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.

I make it a habit to always sit with my back to the wall facing the entrance. I get nervous when I can't monitor the majority of the traffic in the place.
    Aceoky, Snub44 and nontechguy like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

If most people think that they'll out draw a shooter who has already targeted them and drawn while they're sitting in a restaurant, they need to think things thru a little better. What happened in Lakewood is very different than someone coming in to rob a restaurant.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    If most people think that they'll out draw a shooter who has already targeted them and drawn while they're sitting in a restaurant, they need to think things thru a little better. What happened in Lakewood is very different than someone coming in to rob a restaurant.

I agree. The reason I like to be able to see the door isn't so I can leap into action and go right to guns. I carry a gun to enhance my ability to survive. That's why I like to be able to see the door. If someone comes in with a gun I'm going to leave, or hide, or find some cover or concealment. The last thing I want is to be surprised; you can do dumb things when you're startled.
    Aceoky and Snub44 like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Try being mindful as soon as you wake up in the morning and start right then to embrace situational awareness (SA) in all its forms, which really is nothing more than pure common sense when it comes to your personal safety. As far as a restaurant is concerned, I have a bigger problem with the disposition of my car as I go/come from a restaurant in evening hours. In SC you cannot CC where liquor is served so to be legal you cannot CC if you dine out at night where they serve. You are now defenseless as you walk back to restaurant after parking and going back to car afterwards--ya know 10PM, dark parking garage, dark street---that scares me a heck of a lot more than where I sit, although the thrust of this thread provides another example of what SA is all about.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    As I walk through the Valley of Death, my SA and my holstered firearm protect me.
    Even though it's illegal to draw and be in low ready
    Even though it's going to cost me $10K per bullet
    Even though LE and politicians are agin' me
    Even though my partner won't carry and is against guns
    Even though I'm one step behind any aggressor
    I hope
    I pray
    My SA and my holstered firearm will protect me.
    sdprof likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    After waiting 35 minutes just to get a seat, I don't get much choice of where it is. I sit down and enjoy my meal without looking over my shoulder. There're enough problems in the world without my mind creating another one.
    dV8r, Dennis1209, 9MMare and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links