Best compact, lightweight, AND quick-access lockbox?

This is a discussion on Best compact, lightweight, AND quick-access lockbox? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without going into particulars, I need a new lockbox for my EDC. I currently use one of those small, keyed nanovaults. I like the size, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sensei2

Thread: Best compact, lightweight, AND quick-access lockbox?

Best compact, lightweight, AND quick-access lockbox?

Without going into particulars, I need a new lockbox for my EDC. I currently use one of those small, keyed nanovaults. I like the size, shape, and weight (it needs to fit into my messenger bag or desk drawer at work), but it's not exactly something I can get into if the need arose.

Any suggestions on a faster-access lockbox?

2. Remove Ads

I assume you mean the NV200... I just got one of those. They make another (NV300) that is identical, but uses a numeric combination instead, would that fill your needs?
    Last edited by livewire; August 12th, 2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added links
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    I assume you mean the NV200... I just got one of those. They make another (NV300) that is identical, but uses a numeric combination instead, would that fill your needs?
    Looks like it might. Will look into that. Thanks.

I have one of the NV300. I don't find it that fast to get into and wish I had bought the key lock version. I put the push button safe in my car they work good but, I don't know how small and light you could get for carrying around.

Just to dig a little deeper, why are you carrying around a lock box? If you can disclose that, we might be able to find another solution.

As much as I hate the idea, you might be able to get a larger lock box that has a quick access keypad for the desk and carry the gun in a day planner or other similar holster in your messenger bag. Or, maybe get a desk with a locking drawer big enough for your entire messenger bag and just drop the whole thing in while at work and lock it up when you aren't at your desk?

If you are trying to get around a carry law like chicago's on a technicality like carrying in a locked container, you might want to look at another type of tool.

Fort Knox makes a really good lock box, but they are not cheap, smitty built is another good box.

Distinguished Member
    I've got 2 lock boxes. I've given up on them. By the time you get to your weapon, game may be over.

I have a Barska safe and am very happy with it. They also have a model that is top opening that can go in a drawer

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    Just to dig a little deeper, why are you carrying around a lock box? If you can disclose that, we might be able to find another solution.

As much as I hate the idea, you might be able to get a larger lock box that has a quick access keypad for the desk and carry the gun in a day planner or other similar holster in your messenger bag. Or, maybe get a desk with a locking drawer big enough for your entire messenger bag and just drop the whole thing in while at work and lock it up when you aren't at your desk?

If you are trying to get around a carry law like chicago's on a technicality like carrying in a locked container, you might want to look at another type of tool.
    Of course. Not trying to hide anything, just keeping it simple. And certainly not trying to circumvent the law.

I need a lockbox because I take my kids to daycare and school in the mornings on the way to work, and although I am authorized by statute to carry both places, it's not always appropriate for me to do so. Of course, I am adamant that my kids not have access to my EDC when I am getting gas or dropping off the other kid. However, I still need access, so....Lockbox.

I work in an office where, again, I CAN carry, but it is not always appropriate. My office is very family-friendly: co-workers and boss often bring kids into the office, and they get into stuff. But I still need access. That means a lockbox.

And I do spend lots of time in courtrooms- one of the few places in the state, other than federal property- that I can't carry. I can secure my weapon in our courthouse offices. Lockbox.

So I need security, portability, and quick access. I don't really want to buy half a dozen individual handgun safes for each of the places I might be in the course of a day. Can't afford that. Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

Any new ideas?

I can't wrap my head around all your "not always appropriate" comments, but as far as your need to secure your firearm in your office on your way to the courtroom, I would suggest a quick-entry combination lock. They make some that are similar to hotel safes (or even just get a hotel safe) that are externally powered, screwed to the desk, wall, or floor, and extremely heavy duty. Might be a good investment, since you seem to be able to carry there and it doesn't have to be a secret.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

try to find a box/case, etc., that uses the Simplex 5-button keypad. i have one on my Cannon Quik Safe (discontinued), and it's worked flawlessly for 30 years. no batteries, just a mechanical combination that i can open in 2 seconds.
    Drgnfly, FAS1 and dls like this.

What size gun do you carry? If I had so many places that I was concerned with someone knowing that I am carrying, I would pocket carry a P3AT or similar. Your current setup would work for the courthouse and then I would mount a good quality handgun safe to my desk at the office since it is a gun friendly environment.

20955_248042296874_5741959_n.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm not the most knowledgeable one to help you but when you say "portability" that's a bit troubling. The challenge in your situation is how to secure the lockbox with the gun in it. A lock box cabled to a car seat inside of a locked car is not too bad but if your lockbox is loose in a desk drawer, that's a concern. There's no easy convenient way to achieve both goals of portable security and quick access. You have to compromise one way or the other. An option would be to have a separate lockbox for each location so you can secure each one. If someone can get into your desk and carry off the lockbox with a gun in it, that would be bad. But if you could bolt a lockbox to the desk itself "and" lock the deskdrawer that would be secure but not easy to access. In my humble opinion, quick aqcess is achieve through on person carry. After that you're not going to have quick access...per say.

At home, you might have a gun safe with the finger keypads; still a compromise but allows you to leave a loaded handgun in the bedroom and you're free to leave the room for whatever reason.

Just some thoughts. I tend to carry on my person or leave it in a locked car which is something I don't like either.

Good luck figuring it out.
    Gideon

Thanks for all the replies. I have some ideas to work with.

I do have a good digital handgun safe at home. I was just hoping there was a decent option for carrying with me throughout the day. I am in any one of three different courthouses throughout the day, and my office is in another location entirely. Separate safes in each would be way too expensive. My offices are all essentially locked, non-public areas. But the statute says I have to secure my weapon inside the offices.

From a practical standpoint, I just need to secure my weapon from curious children and supervised guests and witnesses. Not really worried about theft in any of my offices.

But I probably need a new, smaller gun anyway. That's what I'm telling my wife, at least. Looking at some now.

Thanks again.

Right. You can never too many guns.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Links