Another question about CCW in Ohio. . . .

This is a discussion on Another question about CCW in Ohio. . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am helping start up another cell phone store but this time it is closer to home. We started a store in Parmatown Mall ...

So I am helping start up another cell phone store but this time it is closer to home. We started a store in Parmatown Mall and as I was leaving one day I asked one of the deputies if the mall has a CCW sign. He looked in amazement because I kind of asked out of no where. With a stutter he said no but the no wasn't to convincing. So maybe someone from the great state of Ohio can help me out. Is Parmatown Mall legal to carry?

Also since I am not sure if it is legal or not I decided to use a book bag to carry today. (I know it is not the fastest way draw but it is better than not carrying at all.) I am pretty sure it is legal to do so. So the second question is, is it legal to put your carry piece holstered in a regular book bag? To tell you guys the truth I kind of like carrying like that. I would have to practice a lot more but I like it. Has anyone here ever carry like that?
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

According to Ohioans For Concealed Carry List, the mall is posted as a "Defenseless Victim Zone", so no guns, I'm not usually around Parma, so I wouldn't know for sure, just going off their list.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...arry/index.asp
    that is the State's Attorney General's webpage on concealed carry, it has a link to the "Concealed Carry Publication", which you should have gotten in ur CHL class, it covers most of the things about CHL currently, although currently another bill is making its way through the state congress that will change some things.

As far as your book bag carry, I don't know of any restrictions about how to carry in Ohio, outside of the vehicle carry stuff. The book bag would not be legal for in your car, but should be everywhere else. (hopefully that will be changed soon). It's basically the same as a lady carrying in her purse.

I am not a lawyer. I live in Ohio, and do have a CHL, and as far as what I have read and been told that is my take on it. Look through the AG's publication, its pretty comprehensive as far as the laws go. Also the OFCC's site is a good source of information on CHL happenings in the state. Hope this helped.

http://www.ohioccw.org/
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    In Missouri malls that are not posted is legal. In fact if they are posted, its still legal. All they can do is tell you to leave. As for as the bookbag, not trying to sound like I'm coming down on anyone, do you really think thats wise? If someone is going to rob you of your bookbag, they'll have your weapon too. There is no way you can get to it quickly and I'll doubt if the BG will listen if you tell him/her to hold on till I get my weapon out of my bookbag. I do not think a bookbag is a good way to protect your weapon and if the BG gets your bookbag, well then their is one more weapon that can get pulled on me and you.
    Last edited by Ben Hennessy; November 29th, 2006 at 08:51 PM.

Administrator
    I don't know if Parmatown is a no ccw or not, I never go there.
    It makes no difference if the gun is in a bag or your pocket, its a ccw.

VIP Member
    I agree. I think the book bag is a false sense of security. It only leaves you to defend yourself if you have planty of notice. A fanny pack i can see...

Links