Is This Odd Or What?

This is a discussion on Is This Odd Or What? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed that when I aim with my right eye with both eyes open the sight picture stays the same. Now when I aim with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is This Odd Or What?

Is This Odd Or What?

I've noticed that when I aim with my right eye with both eyes open the sight picture stays the same. Now when I aim with my left eye, I get the same results. Am I both eye dominant? I never use to be until I had both cataracts removed.
    Please Mr Bad Guy, don't do anything to warrant me to pull my gun and use it on you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Huh? How do you aim with either eye with both open? I can't get a pin point fix on the target with both eyes open. Am hoping somebody helps with your question, I'd like to learn too.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    How do you aim with either eye with both open? I can't get a pin point fix on the target with both eyes open.
    Shooting both eyes open is a good thing to learn how to do. Opens up a whole field of vision for situational awareness. Some people take to it easier than others. I've been able to do it ever since I started shooting my airgun back in the UK. I've met people at work here that can't do it no matter how much they try.

Just keep focused on the front sight, which is what you should be doing anyway. The rear sight and the target should be slightly blurred. If you need to, aim as you normally do and half squint with your "off" eye, then re-open it. Having the "off" eye open let's your peripheral vision notify you of any additional threats that may be moving around or any other "3rd party" that may need to be factored in to your defensive situation, such as a kid running toward your line of fire.

My CPL instructor went through the process with us as well. It may be wise to seek training if you're interested in the technique but are having difficulty with it.

As to the OP, I find it much easier to aim with my dominant eye when shooting both eyes open. Maybe you're gifted!
    Taurahe and squid86 like this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

DBS
    Pretty weird.

I find I can look with both eyes at the target and yet still be "aware" of my sights. Because both eyes are open and I am focused downrange, there are actually two sight pictures in front of me. I am right eye dominant, so the sight picture on my left is the "correct" one. I ignore the one on the right, and align the one on the left on the target, which again is where I am actually looking.

Seems to make sense in a self-defense situation--who wants to be focused on the front sight when events are unfolding and threats may be presenting themselves all around you?

I'm not saying it's right, and indeed the experts may say it's wrong, but I am accurate, I don't get fatigued from squinting, and I maintain a full field of vision while focusing on the threat rather than my front sight, which seems key in shoot/no shoot scenarios.

How to tell which 'eye dominant' you are:

Both eyes open, focus on a fixed point noting how it relates to its background.
    Without moving your head or eyes, close one eye, then open, then close the other eye.
    With your dominant eye, your fixed point will 'line-up' at the same place as it does with both eyes, whereas with the 'weak eye' it will be off center.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

VIP Member

Cool One eye works best for me

I have tried and tried over the years to shoot with both eyes open, but as soon as I pull my gun my left eye slams shut. Had both cataracts removed but that made no difference as far as shooting with one or both eyes. It did totally ruin the excellent close vision I had all my life, but that's another story --not for here.

Slightly off topic: I used to have shooting glasses made using only the prescription for the trifocal part of my glasses. Then I had the optician specify that the trifocal HAD to be set higher than normal and also be wider and deeper than normal. Now I use the middle, trifocal, part of my glasses for both the computer and shooting. Saves the cost of extra shooting glasses! It also means that I practice with the same glasses I will be wearing IF I ever have to actually use my gun and that means a lot.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I normally shoot with my right eye, but with when my ccw instructor told us the benefits of shooting with both eyes open it made sense. So while practicing both eyes open, that's when I discovered this phenomenon.
    Please Mr Bad Guy, don't do anything to warrant me to pull my gun and use it on you!

So if you aim at a target with both eyes open (don't consciously try to use one eye over the other, just lift the gun and aim). Then close your left eye, is the site still on target? Then open your left eye and close the right. Still on target? If so, you don't have a dominant eye.
    Glock Armorer

The easiest way to check is take a pencil, pen, or some small thin object and with both eyes open, line it up with something in the distance like a power pole or tree trunk. Close one eye and then the other. The one that stays lined up is the dominant eye. I am left handed and right eye dominant. When I joined the military, I had a hard time qualifying. I switched to shooting handguns and rifles right-handed and qualified expert every time after that. I shoot handguns, iron sight rifles, and low power scoped rifles with both eyes open. For high power scopes and long range shots, I close my left eye. I can shoot a handgun equally well with either hand and both eyes open. I can not shoot a rifle or shotgun left handed. It just feels too weird now.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shooting with both eyes open isn't natural for many but is a great benefit to the shooter if he/she can concentrate on the dominant eye. I can do it, but I almost have to think about it in advance to prevent closing my left eye.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    So if you aim at a target with both eyes open (don't consciously try to use one eye over the other, just lift the gun and aim). Then close your left eye, is the site still on target? Then open your left eye and close the right. Still on target? If so, you don't have a dominant eye.
    Shooting with both eyes open I still aim with my right eye, but I have extended peripheral vision over shooting with only my dominant eye open. That's the real advantage.
    squid86 likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Alex_c, I don't disagree with both eyes open being beneficial. It sounded like to me that the OP didn't have a dominant eye, and it was my understanding that everyone does have one eye dominant eye.
    Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    HMMMMM. Could it be that you are cross-eyed? Just a thought.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I have tried and tried over the years to shoot with both eyes open, but as soon as I pull my gun my left eye slams shut. Had both cataracts removed but that made no difference as far as shooting with one or both eyes. It did totally ruin the excellent close vision I had all my life, but that's another story --not for here.

Slightly off topic: I used to have shooting glasses made using only the prescription for the trifocal part of my glasses. Then I had the optician specify that the trifocal HAD to be set higher than normal and also be wider and deeper than normal. Now I use the middle, trifocal, part of my glasses for both the computer and shooting. Saves the cost of extra shooting glasses! It also means that I practice with the same glasses I will be wearing IF I ever have to actually use my gun and that means a lot.
    I am also unable to shoot efficiently with both eyes open. I did exactly what you did for my shooting glasses. Distance and reading are fuzzy but the sights look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Huh? How do you aim with either eye with both open? I can't get a pin point fix on the target with both eyes open. Am hoping somebody helps with your question, I'd like to learn too.
    Shooting with both eyes open is a life saving skill. closing one eye blocks peripheal vision. I shoot everything with both eyes open.......
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links