how much printing is acceptable

This is a discussion on how much printing is acceptable within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I am new to cc. I obtained my permit in January this year and have been carrying everyday. My everyday holster is a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: how much printing is acceptable

Cool how much printing is acceptable

Hey guys I am new to cc. I obtained my permit in January this year and have been carrying everyday. My everyday holster is a crossbreed super tuck which is awesome by the way. Yesterday I received a crossbreed snap slide for hunting season. Owb is amazingly comfortable. I was toying with the idea of using the snap slide daily. When I look in the mirror obviously I can notice a slight bulge but I wonder if its because I know where to look. Wore it all day around my house today since I was off and the wife didnt notice but I was hoping you experienced guys could lead me in the right direction as to how much the general public notices. Sorry for the long first post thanks for any help. Oh by the way you guys and gals on here are awesome for the knowledge you throw out here everyday.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to D C !

IMO most folks barely know WHERE they are, much less what anyone else is doing unless you happen to be a "supermodel" (which I sure ain't ) most likely you'll be fine..
    BugDude likes this.

The average person won't notice anything beyond their cell phone, least of all a small bulge under your shirt. Even if someone does see a bulge, it could be anything. Phone, multitool etc.

Don't worry about it.
    Warrior1256 likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I've open carried before and no one noticed...worn two different colors of shoe and no one noticed...apparently no one looks at me that close, which I can't blame them. I avoid mirrors myself.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I like to keep set-up as concealed as possible, so I stick with IWB. What is important to me may not be as important to you. Welcome, by the way from mbrewer in Ohio.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Where is "printing" illegal?

Check out this thread and see if helps. If your state has legal open carry, then printing is a on-issue. It all depends on how concerned you are with scaring the sheep.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    A bulge doesn't mean gun, people are packing all sorts of stuff on their belt, from multiple phones, to insulin pumps. People are not 'checking you out' as you envision. Unless you are a hawt chick

TN is an open carry (with permit) state, so if they see your gun it's not a crime as it can be in some states.

"then printing is a on-issue." ???

Oops, meant to say "non-issue"!
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    The answer to your question is not clear cut.

What is considered printing in one location is not an issue in another location. Printing is not a problem in states with OC. Some states say part of the gun must be shown before it is considered to be printing.

The main thing we ALL should be aware of is the letter of the law in the state, county (parish for those in Louisiana) and city. Many of us feel we know the intent of the law but it is the letter of the law that we need to know. We do not need to know what we think the law is but rather we need to know what the law actually says.

Just remember, not all police officers know what the law says and I am not being critical of the officers in saying that. There are thousands of laws in each state and just gun laws alone will have several laws contained in the main law. We cannot know all the laws. I had a Judge ask me a couple weeks ago during a trial as to what the law says about a particular subject. Then we have opinions. Different people have different opinons about what the laws mean. Seldom can we get nine Supreme Court Justices to agree on what a law says or what it means.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The current amount of printing by the fed is completely unacceptable.

Oh.. you mean firearms. Yeah, a little won't be noticeable. Just don't wear a super tight t-shirt that shoes off the silhouette and you should be good. The only people who will be paying attention will be others who are carrying.
    HybridImages and NONAME762 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OWB under a loose patterned shirt is my preferred carry. No one has ever asked, bulges can be anything. Some will say to bury it under clothing so deep you have to undress to access it. Legally, what does your (TN) state law say is "concealed"? It varies from state to state. FL is "concealed from ordinary view."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When I first started carrying I thought " How can no one notice this Bulge?? " I think I am still a stud, well , maybe not....My Wife can't even tell or is not looking.
    Anyway I think it just took some getting used to, I carry a full size 1911 at 1, two spare mags at 11.

Stay Safe.
    Aceoky likes this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    The current amount of printing by the fed is completely unacceptable.

Oh.. you mean firearms. Yeah, a little won't be noticeable. Just don't wear a super tight t-shirt that shoes off the silhouette and you should be good. The only people who will be paying attention will be others who are carrying.
    I have always had a level of SA (situational awareness) and since I started carrying it has been heightened a bit.

But I'm not looking for bulges around someone middle, but what they are doing, where they are looking, how they are acting.

VIP Member
    Most states believe it or not, are OC states so it's a non issue. Some with a permit, most without. Check the regs for each state you plan on visiting. A very good resource is handgunlaw.us

Only when you get to places like Texas, Florida and maybe a few others would you have to worry about it. Of course you have California, parts of the Northeast and until recently Illinois which are the exception.

Even Communist Maryland is "technically" OC with a permit.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Strange, I can see the bulge around my middle without looking--with or without a gun on.
    Aceoky and accessbob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links