Defensive Carry banner

how much printing is acceptable

6K views 62 replies 42 participants last post by  Snub44 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am new to cc. I obtained my permit in January this year and have been carrying everyday. My everyday holster is a crossbreed super tuck which is awesome by the way. Yesterday I received a crossbreed snap slide for hunting season. Owb is amazingly comfortable. I was toying with the idea of using the snap slide daily. When I look in the mirror obviously I can notice a slight bulge but I wonder if its because I know where to look. Wore it all day around my house today since I was off and the wife didnt notice but I was hoping you experienced guys could lead me in the right direction as to how much the general public notices. Sorry for the long first post thanks for any help. Oh by the way you guys and gals on here are awesome for the knowledge you throw out here everyday.

#2 ·
Welcome to D C !

IMO most folks barely know WHERE they are, much less what anyone else is doing unless you happen to be a "supermodel" (which I sure ain't ) most likely you'll be fine..

Reactions: BugDude
#5 ·
I like to keep set-up as concealed as possible, so I stick with IWB. What is important to me may not be as important to you. Welcome, by the way from mbrewer in Ohio.

#7 ·
A bulge doesn't mean gun, people are packing all sorts of stuff on their belt, from multiple phones, to insulin pumps. People are not 'checking you out' as you envision. Unless you are a hawt chick :rolleyes:

TN is an open carry (with permit) state, so if they see your gun it's not a crime as it can be in some states.

#9 ·
The answer to your question is not clear cut.

What is considered printing in one location is not an issue in another location. Printing is not a problem in states with OC. Some states say part of the gun must be shown before it is considered to be printing.

The main thing we ALL should be aware of is the letter of the law in the state, county (parish for those in Louisiana) and city. Many of us feel we know the intent of the law but it is the letter of the law that we need to know. We do not need to know what we think the law is but rather we need to know what the law actually says.

Just remember, not all police officers know what the law says and I am not being critical of the officers in saying that. There are thousands of laws in each state and just gun laws alone will have several laws contained in the main law. We cannot know all the laws. I had a Judge ask me a couple weeks ago during a trial as to what the law says about a particular subject. Then we have opinions. Different people have different opinons about what the laws mean. Seldom can we get nine Supreme Court Justices to agree on what a law says or what it means.

#10 ·
The current amount of printing by the fed is completely unacceptable.

Oh.. you mean firearms. Yeah, a little won't be noticeable. Just don't wear a super tight t-shirt that shoes off the silhouette and you should be good. The only people who will be paying attention will be others who are carrying.

#13 ·
I have always had a level of SA (situational awareness) and since I started carrying it has been heightened a bit.

But I'm not looking for bulges around someone middle, but what they are doing, where they are looking, how they are acting.

#11 ·
OWB under a loose patterned shirt is my preferred carry. No one has ever asked, bulges can be anything. Some will say to bury it under clothing so deep you have to undress to access it. Legally, what does your (TN) state law say is "concealed"? It varies from state to state. FL is "concealed from ordinary view."

#14 ·
Most states believe it or not, are OC states so it's a non issue. Some with a permit, most without. Check the regs for each state you plan on visiting. A very good resource is handgunlaw.us

Only when you get to places like Texas, Florida and maybe a few others would you have to worry about it. Of course you have California, parts of the Northeast and until recently Illinois which are the exception.

Even Communist Maryland is "technically" OC with a permit.

#19 ·
I can relate and understand in fact

It would be very hard to miss mine

Reactions: Sister
#17 ·
Except for "gun guys", you won't encounter hardly anyone in your daily routine who would notice and make the connection "that guy has a gun." Just doesn't happen much. Gun guys, on the other hand, often notice how others have dressed and look for tell-tale signs. If you're good at how you carry, even they won't make you.

So.....how much printing is acceptable? You tell us....it's up to you. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

#18 ·
how much printing is acceptable
Depends on the statutes in one's state of residence, the degree to which one might be negatively impacted if someone or multiple someones happens to get bent over the concept. In TN, an open-carry state, it's perfectly lawful to be seen "printing" or carrying. The only real impact will be to you and yours, via such things as social impacts, loss of employment if the employer takes exception, etc.

I was hoping you experienced guys could lead me in the right direction as to how much the general public notices.
Everyone's different. As some have suggested, most don't really take notice of the color of a person's shirt, let alone seek an explanation of every bump and curve on a person's waistline. Sure, some "bumps" are simply out of place, angled/sharp/man-made looking (as a cell phone is, or a fanny pack might look under a shirt). But most people simply aren't going to see it, despite being in plain sight. In my experience, standing in a check-out line at a grocery or other shop is very different, as at that moment most people have every opportunity to look others up and down, check out what they're buying, etc. At those moments, I'd say the risk is highest.

Still, you never know. If your aim is 100% absolute concealment, you should consider dressing around the bulges, consider modifications to your wardrobe such that the cut, material, textures and patterns of your covering garments clearly make the bulges visually disappear. Some clothing can do that quite well, and it needn't be bulky/billowing clothing either. Break up the pattern and lines of those bulges, and surprisingly it'll eliminate the visibility from most folks who'd otherwise notice. But, have a form-fitting, flat-color shirt or top that binds as you move, and you're sure to create obvious bulges.

One option: golf shirts. They tend to be made with cuts that allow for the extreme movements around the waist that occurs with the golf swing. There tends to be more material around the waist, longer tails, as well as patterns/textures that can help break-up the visual lines of an otherwise bulging concealed "thing" on the waist. On you, you'll probably find certain patterns/textures and colors work better than others. Try out some. Ideally, have a couple people you know well give you their opinions, telling them you're carrying and asking them to identify exactly where. (Not scientific, but getting others to point it out can help.)

#21 ·
Illinois is a strange one. The law as written says "concealed or mostly concealed" whatever the heck that means.

I don't worry too much about it. I wear a lot of dark polo's and patterned shirts that break up the outline. If I wear an OWB I have a covering shirt, something Hawaiian or with a definite pattern. If the wind is calm I leave it unbuttoned, if windy, I'll button one or two.

#22 ·
If you want the gun to be concealed, then anything that would cause a 'reasonable man' to think that was a gun making your shirt do something unusual, is too much printing.

I took me about 6 years to get comfortable enough, and practiced enough, to hide a Glock 26 in the summer. Winter, no problem, I can carry a G19 easily.

I've only carried my P238 in my pocket three times this summer. The rest of the time I've been able to conceal the Glock 26. What it means, really, is that I've learned how to dress so the gun doesn't show. My check is my wife. She's a pretty good judge of how much is too much.

It means spending time with a mirror that can see behind you to practice, figure out how to move, and things you shouldn't do if you don't want to print. Once you get it figured out, you will wonder what took you so long. I did anyway.

Fitch

#24 ·
Here is what I found in Nebraska state statutes. I'm not sure how it would be interpreted by a lawyer. BTW, Nebraska allows OC.

69-2429. Terms, defined.

For purposes of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act:

(1) Concealed handgun means the handgun is totally hidden from view. If any part of the handgun is capable of being seen, it is not a concealed handgun;

#25 ·
depends, most people look but they dont see. people are too distracted to notice much of anything. other CCers and Cops might notice. savvy hardcore criminals might notice but really a bulge can be anything. it's hard to tell with out seeing it in person.

is it just a bulge or can you actually see the shape of the gun? you might try a looser cover shirt or change location, a wrinkle up patterned shirt can hide a gun much better then a pressed shirt with in solid light color. different people have different body shapes and location can make a big difference. i am very thin and i have been carrying mid to full sized pistols for 8 years now. no one has yet to say a thing.

i did a little experiment with some close friends when i first started carrying and was trying out different guns and carry methods. most friends i have asked say they can't see anything. and when they think they can see they are often wrong about the location and some will say they can see because they believe that i have a gun while i actually don't.

people new to carrying are usually very self conscious, they feel that everybody is looking at them and can see their gun but really 99percent of the population is oblivious.

#26 ·
I normally wear Large shirts but I've tried XL and 2XL shirts to try to conceal my gun but I have some printing from using 1 Galco holster and a lot of printing from a different Galco holster (Summer Comfort). Should I try 3XL? Maybe a differnt holster or gun? This could get expensive. I'm carrying a Sig 1911.

#29 ·
Yes, it might cost a bit of money to correct. While it takes a bit of effort, acquiring clothing and holsters with an eye toward concealment quality can be lower-cost in the long run.

Presuming your body shape doesn't have a permanent "spare tire" around the waistline that precludes any sort of close-fitting IWB or OWB carry, options include:

• A holster that correctly pulls the butt-end of the gun snugly into the body, and one that strongly resists any "flopping" outward in any circumstances.

• A position along the belt that affords the best concealment, best hiding of the butt-end of the gun, along with acceptable comfort for all-day, every-day use. Depends heavily on your body shape.

• An appropriate cant to the holster, to the extent this aids in concealment. Depends on position along the belt.

• Covering garments (shirts, sweaters, vests, jackets) that are good at concealing curves, bulges. Look for roomier cuts of cloth. Larger, alone, often doesn't do it. The shirt's cut needs to support the movement and the added space being taken up. Golf shirts come to mind, as a group, though some of these are "slim/trim" cut. Square-cut can help, as the drape of the shirt tends to be wider around the waist. Depends whether you wear shirts tucked or untucked.

• Patterns, textures, colors of covering garments that break up the lines of bulges/curves better. Some colors work very well, on some people. Patterns/textures can help. The proverbial "Hawaiian" camp shirt tends to do this fairly well.

Pick one or more of the choices above. Play with the combinations. You'll need to find what works well on you, given your body's shape and willingness to change one or more aspects. Position along the belt is often simplest. A different shirt is easy enough. Different wardrobe or holster choices, though, can cost.

#30 ·
People don't pay attention, even law enforcement. A law enforcement friend bet me no one could carry a Desert Eagle 50AE concealed. I waited a couple of weeks and then carried my Desert Eagle concealed at 3:00 o'clock on my belt and two spare magazines at 9:00 o'clock on my belt all day around senior law enforcement. No one noticed until I showed them at the end of the day to win the bet. I just had a loose bowling style (Charlie Sheen) shirt that would drape over the gun and hang right. You will be surprised how much gun you can get away with. This D.M. Bullard Combat holster is what I prefer for carrying my government size 1911s.

#31 ·
Not something I am really concerned with. As stated previously, the situational awareness of the average person is zero, and unless you have some other features that really make you stand out (very good or bad looking, very well or poorly dressed, look very upstanding or criminal) nobody really even notices you, let alone pays attention to you, let alone enough attention to notice an openly carried gun, and like hell they'll notice a print and associate it to what it is. Of the microscopic few that even would notice it if you printed, the majority of them will assume it's something mundane under your shirt like a cell phone or Leatherman pouch. Nobody is thinking "That looks like the shape of a Government length 1911 or Glock 17's grip under his shirt."

I would imagine if somebody actually did spot it, they would likely be carrying as well. Unless you look like you name is Johnny Sidegat Thuglife the Third, they won't likely be concerned. "The ones who know don't care, the ones who care don't know."

#32 ·
Out of sight, out of mind. As long as its covered up, most people won't think "gun".

To answer your question the appropriate measure of allowable printing is whatever you feel comfortable. As long as your eyes aren't darting back and forth as you unconciously tug on your shirt every few seconds with sweaty hands; you should be fine. If you are worried about hiding something, it will show and that's the bigger give away than the bulge under your shirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.