Advice for storing gun in car after seeing NO GUNS posted

This is a discussion on Advice for storing gun in car after seeing NO GUNS posted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whenever I come to a store or other place that has a posted "No Guns" sign, I have been walking back to my car to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Advice for storing gun in car after seeing NO GUNS posted

Advice for storing gun in car after seeing NO GUNS posted

Whenever I come to a store or other place that has a posted "No Guns" sign, I have been walking back to my car to store my gun. Some of my friends tell me to just ignore the sign and carry anyways as long as it is concealed. I live in MN, and the penalty for this is a $25 fine. They tell me that you can get a million $25 fines and it doesn't affect your carry permit whatsoever. I don't know if I believe that, so I have been putting my gun back in the car. They tell me it is worse if someone sees me doing this, breaks into my car, steals my weapon, and then commits a crime with it. To get around that, I have been taking the magazine with me. My thinking is that if they break in and steal my gun, at least they are going to have to come up with a magazine and ammo somewhere before they can use my gun. I figure by that time, I may return to my car, see that I have been robbed, and report it to police, thus covering my arse a little. What do you guys and gals do in this situation? I have been thinking about buying one of those tiny lock boxes, but I have just figured someone will just take the whole thing anyways. Any advice would be appreciated.
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Not a problem for me. The only way my gun is going back to the car is if im asked to leave and it goes back out the same way it came in
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    Whenever I come to a store or other place that has a posted "No Guns" sign, I have been walking back to my car to store my gun. Some of my friends tell me to just ignore the sign and carry anyways as long as it is concealed. I live in MN, and the penalty for this is a $25 fine. They tell me that you can get a million $25 fines and it doesn't affect your carry permit whatsoever. I don't know if I believe that, so I have been putting my gun back in the car. They tell me it is worse if someone sees me doing this, breaks into my car, steals my weapon, and then commits a crime with it. To get around that, I have been taking the magazine with me. My thinking is that if they break in and steal my gun, at least they are going to have to come up with a magazine and ammo somewhere before they can use my gun. I figure by that time, I may return to my car, see that I have been robbed, and report it to police, thus covering my arse a little. What do you guys and gals do in this situation? I have been thinking about buying one of those tiny lock boxes, but I have just figured someone will just take the whole thing anyways. Any advice would be appreciated.
    First: the lock box....better than nothing at all as it is cabled to the seat frame somewhere....bad guy would have to have some good cable cutters on him...problem is a screw driver and a hammer and one good tap on the key lock will open them like a cheap can of sardines.......If violation of the no gun signs will not cause you to lose your carry permit I would probably take the chanced...Here where I live you will lose your carry license so I don't break this law. If you are going to get a vehicle lock box either spend the money for a good one or put it in the trunk (if you have one).
    marcclarke and rigel42 like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Never thought about the whole cable lock thing. That is a good idea.

Distinguished Member
    I'd say something like a Nanovault or COM lockbox should be up there on your priority list. It's my understanding that the combination models are a bit more secure than the key variety. If you absolutely must keep a firearm in your car, it should definitely be locked up.

As for someone seeing you locking it up, a little situational awareness goes a long way. Keep your head on a swivel.

It's Private Property, it's owned. Public Access does not change that. You could also respect the rights of others and not go to that store. The Amendments concern relations between citizens and the Government, not between individuals or any non-Governmental entity. Otherwise I'd have the right to protest whatever I wished in your living room marching with signs or sleep on the front lawn or hang out in your baby's room after leaving work at the nuclear waste clean-up site.
    Ogre and Gav1230 like this.

I have been thinking about buying one of those tiny lock boxes, but I have just figured someone will just take the whole thing anyways. Any advice would be appreciated.
    A tiny lockbox inside the cabin tends to be of the simpler, easily broken-into variety. If you want a bit better security, one for the trunk (that's bolted to the car) might be an improvement, though it'll mean unholstering in "plain" view as opposed inside the cabin. Not a lot of other options, besides just placing it into the glove box or console, or carrying inside anyway, or going elsewhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's Private Property, it's owned. Public Access does not change that. You could also just respect the rights of others and not go to that store.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    It's Private Property, it's owned. Public Access does not change that. You could also just respect the rights of others and not go to that store.
    Grousing over the morality is being discussed elsewhere, to a fare-thee-well. Let's keep this one clean and focused on the OP's question, how about?
    Ghost1958, blitzburgh and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Not a problem for me. The only way my gun is going back to the car is if im asked to leave and it goes back out the same way it came in
    Same here. In Kentucky "Guns Prohibited" signs have no force of law, so I simply ignore them and carry anyway.
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.

For the rare occasions when I have to disarm, I have a small, locking, fire resistant safe tethered by a cable to the front passenger seat in my car. It sits out of sight, locked, and secured. It's not a high security option, but it's out of sight and secure enough to slow bad guys down.

Thankfully, OR law lets me carry pretty much anywhere.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

HMB
    After you call to report your gun stolen it is typical for the police to suspect you first of committing a crime and trying to establish an alibi.

If its a school or other real no gun zone I have a nano box screwed in under seat. If just a store I turn around an will not shop there ever.
    NONAME762 and Mdauben like this.

Many high quality gun vaults are manufactured for installation in automobiles. Check them out with an online search.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by HMB View Post
    After you call to report your gun stolen it is typical for the police to suspect you first of committing a crime and trying to establish an alibi.
    In 30 years of police work, I never made any such assumption. Just my $.02. YMMV.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links