Fort Wayne zoo, Indiana signage laws, Ohio CCW

This is a discussion on Fort Wayne zoo, Indiana signage laws, Ohio CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came up empty searching. Indiana honors my Ohio res permit. Good. Indiana's laws look more relaxed than ours, and it looks like there are ...

Thread: Fort Wayne zoo, Indiana signage laws, Ohio CCW

I came up empty searching. Indiana honors my Ohio res permit. Good. Indiana's laws look more relaxed than ours, and it looks like there are no laws for no gun signs posted? Can anyone confirm what I found is good information? Also planning on going to the Fort Wayne zoo, are there any laws keeping me from carrying while there?

Thanks in advance for any help!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf and linked laws...

http://kidszoo.org/ a lot of school sponsored activities to navigate amongst

Thanks Snub! I read those before posting, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Already went to the zoo, no signs anywhere. I'm just used to the no gun signs at our Toledo Zoo.

All is good and had a wonderful time! Thank You Indiana!

Indiana is certainly one of the easiest states in America in which to carry a firearm. No, such signs (with a few exceptions) have no force of law in Indiana. Since it has your state name in it, I'll note that you can carry in any state park in Indiana except for the Falls of the Ohio State Park, for it is possible to cross between Indiana and Kentucky while in the park without realizing you have done so. I spent some time in Cincinnati recently. Went to a conservatory, a museum, and a library while there. ALL marked with No Gun signs. Went to the Columbus Convention Center back in March. Same sign. Most irritating (and, yes, I ignored the sign each time.) It's also irritating that Ohio does not recognize Indiana's permit (I carry in OH with my FL permit.)

...Ohio is strict but more fair than some states on their rules about notification...from the Ohio concealed carry forum:

"2923.126 of the ORC simply states: (3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree."

There are two key parts to the above signage. The first part is the sign must be posted in a conspicuous location. At the bottom right hand corner of the store entrance where all the shopping carts park may not be conspicuous. The old UDF sign that was about 4"x6" stuck in the middle of 20 other window stickers may not be conspicuous as well.

The second key part is you have to knowingly violate the sign. Therefore the store and subsequently police need to prove you knew you were not allowed to carry there. Although not required, being informed verbally is the best method. If an employee of a business tells you there is a sign that is all it takes. At that time one should turn around and exit the store. If one chooses to return, they can do so once they are disarmed. Any other action can be construed as criminal trespass. If there is no signage, one can still be arrested for criminal trespass after being told their firearm is not welcome by someone with authority. Technically, the Walmart Greeter can tell you no firearms allowed and require you to disarm before entering. However, most prosecutors will not accept it unless it comes from someone with authority to tell you you are not welcome at the business with the firearm.

VIP Member
    Born and raised in Indiana and had relatives in Fort Wayne. However the last time I was at the Fort Wayne Zoo they still had dinosaur and we carried rocks and sticks. Afraid I can't help you much.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Indiana is certainly one of the easiest states in America in which to carry a firearm. No, such signs (with a few exceptions) have no force of law in Indiana. Since it has your state name in it, I'll note that you can carry in any state park in Indiana except for the Falls of the Ohio State Park, for it is possible to cross between Indiana and Kentucky while in the park without realizing you have done so. I spent some time in Cincinnati recently. Went to a conservatory, a museum, and a library while there. ALL marked with No Gun signs. Went to the Columbus Convention Center back in March. Same sign. Most irritating (and, yes, I ignored the sign each time.) It's also irritating that Ohio does not recognize Indiana's permit (I carry in OH with my FL permit.)
    Uhhh, you do realize that OHIO signs DO have the force of law, don't you? Just sayin. If caught, you just might end up losing both your FL and IN permits. Be careful. (Note: I am not an attorney, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.)
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Sponsored Links