As the seasons change, how does your carry method change?

This is a discussion on As the seasons change, how does your carry method change? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Soon, at least where I live, the temperatures will gradually start plummeting and there will be a lot more carry options. I was just curious ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: As the seasons change, how does your carry method change?

Soon, at least where I live, the temperatures will gradually start plummeting and there will be a lot more carry options. I was just curious if anything changes for you? Do you switch from IWB to OWB or carry a different weapon all together?

As for me, I plan to get a new OWB holster for my G19. I figure it will be more comfortable and with a jacket or heavy coat nobody will know any better.
    Romans 12:21

Well, here in FL...my Glock-36 stays as my EDC, year round.
    Although as the temps get colder, I do wear longer shorts and thicker T-shirts.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I only currently own one gun...

But! my philosophy is generally to always carry the same gun, same spot, all the time. I carry my gun that way. In this philosophy, any change would be a permanent one, if that makes sense. So it really shouldn't make a difference if it's -20 or 110... should be the same gun, same spot. But that's my own opinion and believe me - there are MANY more out there...
    Hodad, stylus, nontechguy and 1 others like this.

Tend to go more OWB in the winter and unless its a Doctor visit I dont really have a need for deep concealment in the winter. Which is the only time I dont also have the SW40ve as EDC also. I also tend to do more shoulder holster in colder weather as I ride a motorcycle most of the time and once its jacket weather for the most part thats how i carry on the bike. Summer its IWB under a vest.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    EARMUFFS At 20 Below zero,
    357and40 and Chaplain Scott like this.

I won't be changing this year. Before I got my Galco King Tuk and started to carry my Glock 19 exclusively, I used to have warm and cold systems. In cold weather, I wore a DeSantis Speed Scabbard OWB at 3:30. It holds the pistol close to the body, and allows for quick drawing. Very comfortable. My only gripe is that it means leaving the jacket on, or wearing longer shirts than I like. Long shirts can make for impediments to the draw.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

What are seasons?

;)

I guess you could call the 3 weeks of fall and 3 weeks of winter seasons, but it's pretty much the same here in Orlando all year.... 1911 in a Galco Concealable OWB with untucked Hawaiian shirt, or the Galco V-Hawk (Milt Sparks VM II copy) IWB. If I have to dress up, twice a year, then the little Ruger LCP in a pocket holster.
    EDCs: Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, HK P2000SK .40
    BUGs: Sig Sauer P938, Ruger LCP
    Belts: Armour | Holsters: Tucker, Sparks, Comp-Tac
    ____
    Former LEO and USAF Security Forces

Distinguished Member
    Here is Florida there is not much of a change of seasons. We go from warm to hot. On the few days each year where I can wear an outer garment, I wear a common construction duck cotton vest with two hidden holsters and magazine holders. Other than that I mostly pocket carry with the occasion belt carry if I carry my Glock 19.

C11MV03_TOBACCO.jpg
    Phaedrus likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

My holsters run to pastels from spring to mid summer then gravitate towards earth tones?

Actually I dress the same year round, it doesn't get particularly cold in Ky, I don't think I've seen below 20's the 7 years I have been here. In Jan/Feb I keep a sweatshirt in the car in case I brake down.

Distinguished Member
    The colder it gets, the bigger the gun. By late December, I'll be carrying my CZ 75. That's one of the things I love about a good cold winter.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    No change. Carry the same guns year round.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Not a whole lot of change but I tend to pocket carry a little bit more in the summer.

Carry the same all year in Georgia. Also, I don't think it's possible to "gradually start plummeting" is it?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    My EDC will remain the same. Only change that might happen is the use of an OWB holster. IWB will still be primary though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here in S. FL the season only goes from too hot and humid to not quite as hot and humid. A few days each "winter" I switch to jeans instead of shorts. Doesn't affect carrying at all.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links