Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement...

This is a discussion on Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...are completely absent from this post. So leaving the local McDonald's parking lot with my healthful breakfast this morning, a cruiser followed me out and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement...

Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement...

...are completely absent from this post.

So leaving the local McDonald's parking lot with my healthful breakfast this morning, a cruiser followed me out and pulled me over. He asked for license and registration; though there's no duty to inform here, since I had no idea why I was pulled over or whether I would have to exit the car, I handed him my permit along with my license, saying "that's just for your information." He seemed kind of surprised, asked if I had a gun with me, and I told him yes, and where it was. Turns out my tabs were expired - I thought I'd just gotten them renewed, but I guess that was for our other vehicle.

He didn't ask for the weapon, but just before he went to the cruiser to make out the citation, he said "please keep your hands on the wheel so we don't have a problem here." Of course keeping the hands on the wheel is a good idea in any case, but the way he said it seemed a little odd, like he was made nervous by knowing about the weapon. This was the opposite effect of what I'd intended - I figured the sooner he knew about it, the better he'd like it, which is why I informed him. It's hard to imagine someone intending a violent confrontation would likely start by handing over a carry permit. I guess in the future I'll just keep my mouth shut until asked.

Anyway, nothing profound, just an anecdote. It's the first time I've interacted with a LEO while carrying. Live and learn.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

2. Remove Ads

My state has no duty to inform. Twice I have. The first time the Trooper asked for the weapon which I gave to him. It was just before KSP was going to move to the Glock 40 and mine was a Glock 22. He seemed to be more interested in the gun than what he pulled me over for handed it back, saying thats a nice weapon and let me go. Which was a good thing since he had me cold on radar at well over the speed limit.

The 2nd and last time I ever have or intend too I was pulled over again by KSP. I told the officer I had the weapon and ccw permit. He said ok, let me see your drivers licence. I handed them to him, he glanced at them and handed them back saying have a nice day. No explanation of WHY he pulled me over just a look at my DL and that was it.

Since ive never informed in my state and had no reason to need to in others that require it.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    My state has no duty to inform. Twice I have. The first time the Trooper asked for the weapon which I gave to him. It was just before KSP was going to move to the Glock 40 and mine was a Glock 22. He seemed to be more interested in the gun than what he pulled me over for handed it back, saying thats a nice weapon and let me go. Which was a good thing since he had me cold on radar at well over the speed limit.

The 2nd and last time I ever have or intend too I was pulled over again by KSP. I told the officer I had the weapon and ccw permit. He said ok, let me see your drivers licence. I handed them to him, he glanced at them and handed them back saying have a nice day. No explanation of WHY he pulled me over just a look at my DL and that was it.

Since ive never informed in my state and had no reason to need to in others that require it.
    Sounds like you got a "good one" the first time. I'm guessing in my case the LEO was maybe a bit young and inexperienced, maybe that's the first time he saw a permit "in the wild."

The second one is strange. Maybe they were looking for someone matching your description or something.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

If he's a jumpy bugger, I'd think it much wiser to have informed him on the spot so that he doesn't see it and react at some point in the process.

Ghost—it's Kentucky, what do you expect? I forget, which part do you live in? I used to live in Louisville, and then for a while, moved out to LaGrange before heading back west.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

In the NE section of Ky. Neither made a big deal of the gun or permit issue. The first I think was more checking out the Glock once he saw it cuz that is what they were going to be issued in the near future back then.

The 2nd I do know was straight out of Academy. Two of them actually moved into the little town 15 miles from me. I suppose he could have been looking for someone. I had noticed that those two new officers made quite the habit of sitting in that town on the same parking lot in the evenings and just pulling people over and letting them go. Did it for about a month. Not sure what they were doing but they did finally stop doing it LOL.

Honestly the first one I expected a heavy duty speeding ticket. When I say well over the limit I mean it was way way over the limit LOL.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Tabs expired and you have a problem with his "manner and tone"? Can't follow simple automobile registration rules but surely know how to CC? PULEEZE

In MO i have no duty to inform but informing anyway has gotten me out of several tickets and had a state trooper ask "mind if i take a look at that S&W66? I always wanted one." He was not interested in the M&P since he already has one. He also praised me for not "carrying one of those %^&$^% calibers. I see so many people that get a ccw and get a keltec 380 and never learn how to shoot." When I told him I train with a POST certified instructor he said "now you are just trying to get out of the ticket."

Granted, he wrote me for less than I was going to save me a trip to court, but still...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Tabs expired and you have a problem with his "manner and tone"? Can't follow simple automobile registration rules but surely know how to CC? PULEEZE
    Yikes, someone's horse is awfully high. He didn't say he had a problem with the officer's tone, just that he found it odd.
    Hodad, WHEC724, Aceoky and 5 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    He asked for license and registration; though there's no duty to inform here, since I had no idea why I was pulled over or whether I would have to exit the car, I handed him my permit along with my license, saying "that's just for your information."
    Never do this. In a state where you have no duty to inform, all you're doing is introducing the possibility of you having a problem where no such possibility existed before. You carrying a gun and you getting a ticket are unrelated events. Leave them that way. Be polite, get your ticket, and move on down the road.
    Goat_Guy and GentlemanJim like this.

VIP Member
    The no duty to inform is a two-edged sword. While I don't necessarily believe that legislation requiring you to inform is needed I wouldn't complain if we had it. When you don't have it and you inform, officers aren't used to that and may be on edge because you just told them you have a weapon. Of course if they see the weapon somehow and you didn't inform that's going to put them on edge as well. (And as much as I support people carrying guns and believe every person that can legally own a pistol should carry one if I see it on my own my pulse will pick up pretty quickly.)

On the flip side, if you tell me you have a CCW I immediately see you as a good guy. You have proven that you're not a criminal by getting the permit. You have exhibited a desire to follow the rules by carrying that pistol legally. My first question following will be if you have a pistol on you. This isn't because I'm nervous but because I'll gently explain you're doing it wrong if you tell me you have a permit and no gun (and for some reason this does happen). Unless I stopped you for doing something VERY stupid I'll likely run your license to ensure you're not a wanted murderer or something and then send you on your way. If you don't have a permit and I thought I had a good enough reason to stop you 99 times out of 100 you're getting a ticket. So your decision to inform may well save you a few bucks.
    Snub44, gasmitty, mkh and 6 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Yikes, someone's horse is awfully high. He didn't say he had a problem with the officer's tone, just that he found it odd.
    When you are CC and get "pulled over" for an auto citation--yes I am looking down on my "high horse" and find it irresponsible. Just the idea that you have not exactly made the LEO's day an easy one knowing that he is dealing with someone with a firearm who has demonstrated a lack of basic guidelines for the privilege of driving a car--not really, IMO, a big step to demonstrating a lack of basic guidelines for the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon. Don't like what I have to say--OK by me. "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me".

I believe it is a personal decision in a no-duty-to-inform State on the individual being pulled over by Law Enforcement.

The one and hopefully only time that I have been pulled over was in Floyd Co. Indiana by a State Trooper. I did not inform him, no duty to do so, I'm not a violent criminal and knew I was getting a speeding ticket no matter what I did.

He wrote me up, never even asked or questioned if me or my wife had any guns in the car, all he seemed to be interested was to tell me several times that I was being pulled over for speeding. At that point, telling him I have a Carry Permit and pistol was moot.

I think it can be good and help the individual but the chance of getting an officer who hates concealed carry and the fact that you are doing it, even though legal, will be the worst thing a person can do, and that would be to tell them when you do not have that duty.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member

So leaving the local McDonald's parking lot with my healthful breakfast this morning, a cruiser followed me out and pulled me over. He asked for license and registration; though there's no duty to inform here, since I had no idea why I was pulled over or whether I would have to exit the car, I handed him my permit along with my license, saying "that's just for your information." He seemed kind of surprised, asked if I had a gun with me, and I told him yes, and where it was. Turns out my tabs were expired - I thought I'd just gotten them renewed, but I guess that was for our other vehicle.

He didn't ask for the weapon, but just before he went to the cruiser to make out the citation, he said "please keep your hands on the wheel so we don't have a problem here." Of course keeping the hands on the wheel is a good idea in any case, but the way he said it seemed a little odd, like he was made nervous by knowing about the weapon. This was the opposite effect of what I'd intended - I figured the sooner he knew about it, the better he'd like it, which is why I informed him. It's hard to imagine someone intending a violent confrontation would likely start by handing over a carry permit. I guess in the future I'll just keep my mouth shut until asked.

Anyway, nothing profound, just an anecdote. It's the first time I've interacted with a LEO while carrying. Live and learn.
    Just a cop that wants to get home. I really don't see an issue. He doesn't know you from Adam (or Cain). At least he didn't disarm you or call for backup (the latter has happened). For all you know one of his buddies could have been shot by a carrier some time past.

That's one reason I will not inform during a traffic stop. No requirement to do so in Ga, and no need to complicate things. If the cop wants me to step out of the car (never happened in 30+ years of driving), I'd let him know then, but otherwise, if I'm just sitting there, I'll make it easy for him.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

He may pull over armed citizens all the time and never know it because they don't inform.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    When you are CC and get "pulled over" for an auto citation--yes I am looking down on my "high horse" and find it irresponsible. Just the idea that you have not exactly made the LEO's day an easy one knowing that he is dealing with someone with a firearm who has demonstrated a lack of basic guidelines for the privilege of driving a car--not really, IMO, a big step to demonstrating a lack of basic guidelines for the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon. Don't like what I have to say--OK by me. "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me".
    I assume you have never driven 1MPH above the speed limit ever, since it sounds like your horse is a few hands taller than most.
    Brad426, stylus, Aceoky and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links