My Mayor gets her permit

My Mayor gets her permit

This is a discussion on My Mayor gets her permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Mayor, Jean Stothert of Omaha has gone public in her pursuit of a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit. I voted for her in our last ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By rammerjammer
  • 2 Post By oldnfat
  • 1 Post By Old Sarge
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By Sydspapa

Thread: My Mayor gets her permit

Thumbs up My Mayor gets her permit

My Mayor, Jean Stothert of Omaha has gone public in her pursuit of a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit.

I voted for her in our last election because of her pro gun stance. The former mayor running for reelection had made an ad for tv against guns, even though all it would be is a grand gesture with no real substance to it and no chance of legislation being passed. For most things in politics I actually side with the former mayor, but when he made that ad and spoke of gun control I had enough and voted for Stothert as a single issue voter.

Some good quotes from her from the article.

"It's not an issue of who I am afraid of. It's an issue of I am not afraid to protect myself,”

“I want to let the people of Omaha know that I am a supporter of responsible gun ownership and the rights people have to protect themselves,”

Mayor Stothert applies for concealed carry permit | Local News - KETV Home

From the video I also found out that there is a new indoor range opened up in a suburb of Omaha. One more place to shoot, finally.
    Stoveman, WHEC724, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

If the mayor's so "for" carry, it's strange she has waited until things in her life got political to go after a CHL. Grain of salt, there.

Still, it's a good thing to have politicians who are awake on the issue. Nobody's going to be able to protect her butt when the upraised knife is above her own head, when out and about, except her. Life gets pretty simple, at such times. Kudos for the mayor. Nice to not have an anti-gunner in office. Not everywhere can say that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Sounds like a smart lady. Maybe her politics will be as smart as her gun stance.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you have an excellent mayor. Vote to keep her in office.
    Aceoky and GSDSchutzhund like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Rammerjammer; She has "applied" not yet received. Wondering how long "she" will wait, for that permit. I too read the World Herald/WOWT/KETV news on internet. I admire her for doing what she is doing, and as a Omaha home owner, but living elsewhere, I think she will be a shot in the arm for the citizens of Omaha. Now if she can just rein in the fire department, she'll be in hog heaven.
    rammerjammer likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Rammerjammer; She has "applied" not yet received. Wondering how long "she" will wait, for that permit. I too read the World Herald/WOWT/KETV news on internet. I admire her for doing what she is doing, and as a Omaha home owner, but living elsewhere, I think she will be a shot in the arm for the citizens of Omaha. Now if she can just rein in the fire department, she'll be in hog heaven.
    I pictured roving gangs of firemen running amok and putting out fires everywhere....maybe even starting some just to put them out
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

VIP Member
    Guess you can rule out any money coming your way from Bloomy.

Good for your Mayor. Good to see politicians take a stand for gun rights. Unfortunately she is in a minority. Most are either anti, or are afraid to endorse gun rights, for fear of losing votes from the sheep of the world.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    My Mayor, Jean Stothert of Omaha has gone public in her pursuit of a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit.

I voted for her in our last election because of her pro gun stance. The former mayor running for reelection had made an ad for tv against guns, even though all it would be is a grand gesture with no real substance to it and no chance of legislation being passed. For most things in politics I actually side with the former mayor, but when he made that ad and spoke of gun control I had enough and voted for Stothert as a single issue voter.

Some good quotes from her from the article.

"It's not an issue of who I am afraid of. It's an issue of I am not afraid to protect myself,”

“I want to let the people of Omaha know that I am a supporter of responsible gun ownership and the rights people have to protect themselves,”

Mayor Stothert applies for concealed carry permit | Local News - KETV Home

From the video I also found out that there is a new indoor range opened up in a suburb of Omaha. One more place to shoot, finally.
    Suttle who? :) So glad that we as a city are moving in the right direction once again...
    masonda9895 likes this.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat. Teach a man to fish, his wife and family will never see him on weekends!

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    When you are done with her as Mayor could you please send her my way, we could use one like her.

I was glad to see this as well as her not bowing down to the FD union. Would be nice if we can get some sanity back after the last few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If the mayor's so "for" carry, it's strange she has waited until things in her life got political to go after a CHL. Grain of salt, there.

Still, it's a good thing to have politicians who are awake on the issue. Nobody's going to be able to protect her butt when the upraised knife is above her own head, when out and about, except her. Life gets pretty simple, at such times. Kudos for the mayor. Nice to not have an anti-gunner in office. Not everywhere can say that.
    Some have questioned her motives for the very same reason you mention here. I get that, and don't blame them. It's good to question these things rather than take them at face value. I, on the other hand also believe that, although she waited until she was in office to get it, that at least she is on the right side of the fence; despite her motives. I equally applaud the fact that she has gone public with it. (As if she had a choice). Keep in mind that this is a Mayor that is holding several departments (not just Fire and PD) to their budgets, refuses to allow public tax dollars to pay for her official car or gas, and doesn't shy away from charged public issues. Now, I don't think that she should get extraordinary praise for doing these things. This is what public office should be doing in the first place.

Side note: I can't believe I wasted my 400th post on politics!
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Links