Sign question for South carolina Residence

This is a discussion on Sign question for South carolina Residence within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am of the opinion that this sign doesn't meet the sign requirements as outlined in SECTION 23-31-235 of the SC firearms laws and as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sign question for South carolina Residence

I am of the opinion that this sign doesn't meet the sign requirements as outlined in SECTION 23-31-235 of the SC firearms laws and as such doesn't have to be obeyed, what is your opinion?

20130818_115235[1].jpg
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

sorry for the sideways photo, wasn't like that in my phone

I would agree with you. If I didn't really need to enter, I'd pass it up for another store to make my purchase from.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

NoConcealableWeaponsAllowed.jpg

The above came from SLED but not the sign,but i'm pretty sure the sign is the correct one.
    Dan060 and drblitch like this.

VIP Member
    Do you mean based on the technicality that the graphics are in white, not the required black?

In any case, if it doesn't meet the requirements, it's pretty darn close. I'd hate to have to be in a position where I had to defend myself for violating the owner's wishes.

In my case, if they put up anything that I can interpret as not wanting concealed carriers on their premises, I don't go in. They don't want my business and I don't want theirs.

The only no gun signs i've seen,which has been a grand total of three,only a school had the right one..As you see in the laws,it should be red and black.
    shooterX and Aceoky like this.

Since it doesn't prohibit OC - can you make the gun visible and enter the premises or is OC illegal in SC?

Nope no occing in S.C.There is a bill for this in the Senate Judiciary Committee.It's been there since 1/08/13.

What she said.It's gotta be in black and red.

There was a thread on here once about a lady who went into Inlet Square Mall at the beach.She had a CCP, her gun went off accidentally and hit a lady in the leg.They had no gun signs at the mall but,it wasn't the right ones,so they didn't charge her.The signs were black and white if i remember correctly and wasn't even on the doors.
    shooterX likes this.

I'm familiar with that incident, and to my knowledge they still don't have signs on the doors, though the Books a million there does have the correct sign on its door.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent95 View Post
    There was a thread on here once about a lady who went into Inlet Square Mall at the beach.She had a CCP, her gun went off accidentally and hit a lady in the leg.They had no gun signs at the mall but,it wasn't the right ones,so they didn't charge her.The signs were black and white if i remember correctly and wasn't even on the doors.
    Wow! I never knew guns "went off" at all much less accidentally! I know my remark is off the thread topic and its not meant to ridicule Brent95 for saying it. I just wish people would start calling these things what they are... Negligent Discharges or legitimate mechanical failures. My point being that if guns just accidentally went off, then no one should ever carry one. Using this kind of language only fuels the antis and the media.

Well all i can tell you is what was reported. It said the lady set her purse down and her gun went off,and it hit another lady in the keg.That's all they said so far as the gun goes.
    . I found the thread and read it again.It never said what kind of gun she had or what caused it and i don't speculate or assume
    Manderinobyebye and Aceoky like this.

My question is not whether non-conforming signs like this are legally binding on honest people. They aren't.

Nor is my question whether criminals obey signs, whether conforming or not. They don't.

My question is whether criminals seek out victims they think will be easy prey because of signs, state law, or any other reason that forces good people to be disarmed. How many of our mass shootings happen in gun free zones such as schools? How many criminals try to rob a gun store or police station, where victims are likely to be armed and able to resist?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims. I don't want to give my money to a business that increases my risk of becoming a victim.

John W in SC
    Brent95 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links