New to conceal carry fears

This is a discussion on New to conceal carry fears within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the world of conceal carry. Today was the first time I carried in public. The entire time at church I was worried ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: New to conceal carry fears

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar

New to conceal carry fears

I'm new to the world of conceal carry. Today was the first time I carried in public. The entire time at church I was worried that I was "flashing" the other saints. I could get it off my mind. Is that normal for concealing for the first time? Does the apprehension go away?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

2. Remove Ads

It is normal.

It will go away.

99% of people are too busy fiddling with electronic devices or otherwise off in their own little world to notice anything. The other 1% either won't saying or assume "the bulge" is a cellphone/multitool/colostomy bag.
    British by birth. American by choice.

VIP Member
    I am kinda new at concealed carry (mid-May) so i understand . If you have some good equipment and clothing that covers well enough then you have no worries . I do think it is normal to have some concerns but it will go away just relax and most of all don't keep messing with your " Roscoe " Be safe .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    I'm new to the world of conceal carry. Today was the first time I carried in public. The entire time at church I was worried that I was "flashing" the other saints. I could get it off my mind. Is that normal for concealing for the first time? Does the apprehension go away?

Very normal. It's like being nervous as a new driver who just got your first license.

That's pretty darned normal. The fear will go away.

For me, it helped to kind of casually glance at other people's pockets (I normally pocket carry and worried about printing). First, you'll find out it's surprisingly hard to guess what they might have on their person, unless you look really hard. Second, you'll probably find it a little awkward to look at people this way, and realize that you don't normally go around examining other people's waistbands and pockets - and that they don't do that, either. Even a gun in full view is fairly likely to go unnoticed by the majority of people.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

9uc
    It takes a while, some longer than others, but as you gain confidence and figure out what clothes are best for cover, you will feel much more comfortable carrying. The mark, or turning point here in the Las Vegas area, though some what corny, was referred to as the Wally World Walk. When you did your first shopping trip to Walmart while carrying. Most will ask you to leave, some will ask you to cover or leave. For me, as you mentioned above was carrying while attending Church and Bible. Finally felt good about it when I found the right holster, which for me which was a high riding OWB forward cant paddle. For the first several months, I'd leave the gun and holster under the seat of the car. Just a side note, my signature came from a Bible Study leader who was a 30 year retired LA police officer. He emphasized the verse as he was the only person in the church that spotted my carry.
    delford likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Being a little "paranoid" is normal when you first start carrying. The worst thing you can do is to do anything to possibly give yourself away. Avoid adjusting your holster, pistol, clothing or constantly looking to see if you're printing. This may make someone take a second look and start taking notice.
    9uc likes this.

Your ability to carry concealed is greatly enhanced if you purchase a high-quality gun belt and holster. These are not cheap items. Expect to pay big coin for them. But when you have quality carry gear, concealment is much easier. Cheap gear prints badly.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I got over being self-conscience about it quickly. Being uncomfortable might draw attention to yourself.

Anyway, I'm surprised you wore it to church. That's illegal in NE unless you're part of church security personnel.

I carry all the time and usually switch from my full-sized Sig in an IWB Remora holster to a .380 in an ankle holster for church. Just a few days ago, I finished construction of my CrossBreed-type IWB holster and wore it to church this morning because I can tuck in my shirt. Sure enough, it felt like the first day of concealed carry because I was a little concerned less about printing, which doesn't happen, but more about the belt clips that show. We survived. :-)
    “When they come--stay calm. It's a cannon!!!!!!!"

Don't sweat it. I had the same paranoia my first few days as well. A buddy of mind invited me to partake in an "experiment with him. We went several places in public over the span of a weekend. We wore clothing that, in the opinion of other CC'ers, clearly printed, but not to the point of spandex for example. We went to stores, a flea market, Wally World, fast food joints, the bank, and many other places. At the crowded flea market people even brushed up against the firearm on two instances. I was sweating bullets! (pun intended!) It was a great confidence builder and he proved his point to me that people are way too wrapped up in themselves and their own affairs to take any notice of you! The only thing that will draw attention to it is our own paranoid behavior, which will be perceived as "out of place" by others. Just do your thing and carry confidently.
    Bassindude likes this.

VIP Member
    As others have said, when you first start carrying you will feel you have a neon sign above you saying “I HAVE A GUN” just continue carrying and the feeling will go away.
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yup that nervousness about carrying is normal at first. It goes away. And not too long from now you will feel naked the first time you absolutely can't have your gun with you.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    I've been CC for over 15 years and I still remember how paranoid I was when I first started carrying. Entirely normal. You'll get used to it.

I felt the same way when I started carrying over twenty years ago. Now when I can't carry, I feel like I have a neon flashing sign that says "This guy is not carrying".
    9uc, Ghost1958, DetChris and 3 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links