Springfield XD OWB Holster

This is a discussion on Springfield XD OWB Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the cooler weather coming soon I am looking to get an OWB holster to start carrying my full size 4" Springfield XD in 9mm ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dgunnut
  • 2 Post By sioux565

Thread: Springfield XD OWB Holster

Springfield XD OWB Holster

With the cooler weather coming soon I am looking to get an OWB holster to start carrying my full size 4" Springfield XD in 9mm to replace my summer gun primary carry Taurus TCP. I have briefly trialed a Galco Concealment OWB holster, which I like for the most part (only issue was very tight fit). However, a federal agent friend of mine insists that I should realy get a holster with a retention strap. Anyone have experience with the Concealment or other similar OWB's? Anyone have feedback on OWB's with a retention strap. I already have a Blackhawk serpa paddle holster, and I know that this is not what I am looking for as it is very difficult to conceal (sticks out too far). I also defitnitely prefer an FBI type cant as it makes concealment much easier.

dgunnut
    Pig likes this.

2. Remove Ads

It's 85 degrees today and you're thinking about cooler weather?

Just kidding. I actually think you should be fine with a holster without a thumb break. If you get a quality holster that is made to fit your specific gun model, there should be enough retention.
    BugDude and Poorly like this.

One of my early purchases was an OWB with retention strap for a XD40sc. It's a nice holster, but now that I've been carrying for a number of years the retention strap just seems silly. Even a bit obtrusive.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I pretty much use Fist holsters for OWB carry.

My XD Service .45 carries well in them. Most of mine are either #9's or #12's.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

A well-made holster, be it Kydex or leather, will provide plenty of retention for concealed carry. For open carry, I would prefer a holster with some means of retention.

I recommend a Milt Sparks Axiom holster.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

My all-time favorite OWB holster is the Galco Concealable. I just bought another for my new 4" Ed Brown 1911. Yes, like all good holsters, they are tight. I wrapped my gun in a plastic bag and left it in the holster overnight - problem solved. I love the fact that they have a very strong forward cant and hug very tightly to the body with a good belt. All of that adds up to an OWB that doesn't print any more than an IWB.
    EDCs: Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, HK P2000SK .40
    BUG: Sig Sauer P938, Ruger LCP
    Belts: Armour | Holsters: Tucker, Sparks, Comp-Tac
    ____
    Former LEO and USAF Security Forces

I forgot to mention that I have a Galco Concealable and used it for some time before I sprung for the Milt Sparks Axiom. I also had a tight fit, so after applying their Draw-EZ slickum to the inside, I used the plastic bag trick and it's been perfect ever since.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

Here is a holster I made for an XD 9. Its very snug. I've never been concerned about a retention strap. I mostly carry it with a cover shirt.

XD Holster.JPG
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

DBS
    I've got an open-top Don Hume for my 228 and an open-top Winthrop for my PPS. Retention on both is excellent, and I have nothing between me and my firearm when I need it. No thumb-break for me, thank you.

Links